• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted to officer

Whitestone

Hello all,

Apologies if this is not the type of forum for this type of question, will delete if that’s the case.

I currently have an undergraduate degree and am working on an MPA with a graduation date in a couple of years. I am in the DC region and have been looking at Intel, but know that I am completely uncompetitive for an officer slot. I’ve been mulling the idea of enlisting while I work on my degree and trying for an officer spot after graduation. I’ve been given mixed messages about the feasibility of going from E to O- some say it’s impossible, others act like it would be a piece of cake.

TheClyde

Hello all,

Apologies if this is not the type of forum for this type of question, will delete if that’s the case.

I currently have an undergraduate degree and am working on an MPA with a graduation date in a couple of years. I am in the DC region and have been looking at Intel, but know that I am completely uncompetitive for an officer slot. I’ve been mulling the idea of enlisting while I work on my degree and trying for an officer spot after graduation. I’ve been given mixed messages about the feasibility of going from E to O- some say it’s impossible, others act like it would be a piece of cake.
It is somewhere in between. What is your motivation for enlisting?

Whitestone

It is somewhere in between. What is your motivation for enlisting?
Besides the desire to serve, being part of something larger than myself, etc

I’d like to switch careers and break into the Intel/ national security community. Getting a clearance would help quite a bit, experience even more.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Besides the desire to serve, being part of something larger than myself, etc

I’d like to switch careers and break into the Intel/ national security community. Getting a clearance would help quite a bit, experience even more.
I would suggest that you do not enlist if you only plan to be an officer. There is a conditional release that is required and you will incur some sort of obligation. What happens if your A-School conflicts with your Grad School? It might be best to just submit your officer application and see what your feedback is. There are instances where people have been picked up for intel with no prior experience, it is not that common, especially in the DC area but it does happen.

CMR1984

I submitted package in 2019 for Intel and did not get selected. I enlisted as an IS March 2020. Submitted new package for March 2022 board and was selected for 1835. Enlisting gave me experience, improved my letters of recommendations (O-5 and O-6), I was better prepared for interviews, it showed I was committed and I got a TS clearance. It made me a lot more competitive and paid off. Also, it allowed me to start my 20 year clock since I plan to retire from the reserves.

Message me if you have any questions.

Whitestone

I would suggest that you do not enlist if you only plan to be an officer. There is a conditional release that is required and you will incur some sort of obligation. What happens if your A-School conflicts with your Grad School? It might be best to just submit your officer application and see what your feedback is. There are instances where people have been picked up for intel with no prior experience, it is not that common, especially in the DC area but it does happen
I recently turned 30 and plan to put in 20. Maybe I’m just getting antsy but I’d like to get that clock moving.

njac35

Do not enlist if you are not ok with doing 20 years or however long your initial contract is for as an enlisted member. Once you are in there are alot of factors that are out of your control and you may not get the opportunity. I was active for 5 years and have been reserves for 7, during that time I remember only a handful of people actually being selected for an officer program. I was recently selected from the Sep DCO board and am excited to start that process but I was also fully prepared to finish out my career as an enlisted member.

Last edited:

Whiskeyrice

If you enlist, there's a saying: Choose your Rate, choose your fate. Don't enlist just to enlist, go into a community with an ascension option based on your interest and background. If that's Intel, then IS. If that's IP, then IT/ET. If admin side, then YN/PS. But don't think those rates offer a direct springboard into the associated officer community, it would just give you more experience in that related field and connections with those working on the khaki side of the house for appraisals, recommendations, and career advice.

If you're uncompetitive due to GPA, that won't change by enlisting. If due to OAR, study for that specifically and if you can take it again, do better. If you need certifications and such to strengthen your package, doing that as a civilian is easier than Enlisted. As soon as you join your first real command could go on deployment immediately and you could find yourself delayed for one reason or another long enough to stay enlisted for your career. It happens, so be prepared for that if you do.

exNavyOffRec

If you enlist, there's a saying: Choose your Rate, choose your fate. Don't enlist just to enlist, go into a community with an ascension option based on your interest and background. If that's Intel, then IS. If that's IP, then IT/ET. If admin side, then YN/PS. But don't think those rates offer a direct springboard into the associated officer community, it would just give you more experience in that related field and connections with those working on the khaki side of the house for appraisals, recommendations, and career advice.

If you're uncompetitive due to GPA, that won't change by enlisting. If due to OAR, study for that specifically and if you can take it again, do better. If you need certifications and such to strengthen your package, doing that as a civilian is easier than Enlisted. As soon as you join your first real command could go on deployment immediately and you could find yourself delayed for one reason or another long enough to stay enlisted for your career. It happens, so be prepared for that if you do.
Good info.

Don't forget that if a person goes through the MEPS process there is no guarantee any of those jobs could be available. A person doesn't have to pick a job when they go to MEPS but if you are a Qualified Not Enlisted (QNE) you will not make a lot of friends, and some Chief Recruiters have been know to not let recruiters send a QNE back without conditions.

Whiskeyrice

Good info.

Don't forget that if a person goes through the MEPS process there is no guarantee any of those jobs could be available. A person doesn't have to pick a job when they go to MEPS but if you are a Qualified Not Enlisted (QNE) you will not make a lot of friends, and some Chief Recruiters have been know to not let recruiters send a QNE back without conditions.
True. And there's also the fact that people underestimate the intimidation and inconvenience factor of the MEPS process. When I went to choose my rate, heading in I was hoping for availability in either CTN or CTI. I received IT instead for the mere fact that 20 year old me didn't want to have to go through all that shit again and there was recruiter pressure.

It was a brief sit down at the end of the day in a small office with a guy looking at the options on the computer giving me a print out that basically said I had a few minutes to decide but they had a line going. So for OP and anyone else keep that in mind, it's not like you apply online and get to wait and think about it for later.

Cyn13

I have a question that may fall into the Enlisted to Officer thread. I was active before and switched to the reserves and recently got selected for OCS. I was wondering if anyone who has gone from reserves to being selected as an active duty officer and has experienced any contact issues before with receiving their orders or on how they will be traveling to Rhode Island? I have made multiple contacts out to Mr. Celestin and my command. My command has had a hard time as well from hearing back. Is there another contact that may be helpful?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I have a question that may fall into the Enlisted to Officer thread. I was active before and switched to the reserves and recently got selected for OCS. I was wondering if anyone who has gone from reserves to being selected as an active duty officer and has experienced any contact issues before with receiving their orders or on how they will be traveling to Rhode Island? I have made multiple contacts out to Mr. Celestin and my command. My command has had a hard time as well from hearing back. Is there another contact that may be helpful?

It’s the holidays… is this a big enough emergency where you can’t wait a few days?

Cyn13

I can wait. I do leave in a month but it’s still enough time to wait after the holidays. I saw your comment to the other post I made and I have been trying to get in contact since November. But a few days at this point won’t hurt any. Just was wondering if it was common to anyone else that’s been in my same situation. Thank you for the feedback!

FormerRecruitingGuru

I can wait. I do leave in a month but it’s still enough time to wait after the holidays. I saw your comment to the other post I made and I have been trying to get in contact since November. But a few days at this point won’t hurt any. Just was wondering if it was common to anyone else that’s been in my same situation. Thank you for the feedback!

If you don't hear back by mid-this week I would have your chain of command engage CNRC.

FormerRecruitingGuru

If you don't hear back by mid-this week I would have your chain of command engage CNRC.