• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted to Officer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mc

Hi!
Just out of interest I was wondering how long must an enlisted person wait after enlisting before they can apply to OCS? For example, if I enlist into a CTI position, finish CTI school, and start working, how long until I can apply and ship off to OCS assuming I have a degree? Must I finish my full commitment with the enlisted CTI position or can I go onto an officer position to finish that commitment, or would finishing the OCS require me to have an all new commitment added onto the other one or would it just continue until my old enlisted commitment ends? In other words, does a five year enlisted commitment have to be finished before applying for OCS and then after OCS I have five more years commitment or what? Thanks.

-Mc

mbeaser

If you enlist, you can apply for OCS as soon as you finish boot camp. However, you will in reality need to get to a permanant duty station and spend enough time there (no less than 6 months, realistically) for your Chain of Command to recommend you. No board will pick you up without a good CO's endorsement and you won't be able to get that until you have been around long enough to prove yourself. I'm frankly unsure of the mechanics of how they decide how much time you are obligated to, I believe they may require 4 years at commissioning and then after you complete any training you obligate to more service.
Missy

AZSkegee

Also realize that each person's OCS situation have different outcomes. My friend went to OCS while I was in "A" school, so dont let people tell you it can't happen. There are rare experiences that might happen to you. If you are going to enlist,then let me offer you advice from someone who is travelling this road now. From my deep most feelings on the matter you should pick a rating in a field you enjoy, and always remember that you want to earn a commission. There will be days you that will really make you angry and second guess yourself, but keep in fruition you dream of becoming an officer. Also the military regimine is not for everyone, make sure this is something you want to do. I can't stress strongly enough to pick a rating you would like. I was offered Nuke at meps because I did great on my ASVAB, $60,000 bonus, you have a degree gives you more money and you be on a OCS training pipeline if you want it, but I didnt want to be a ET or MM - I wanted to work with pilots and see planes. good luck on your decision

fraz76

Mc
Well It sounds like you already have a degree. So if you want to be an Officer than apply directly to OCS through a Officer Recruiter (OSO). If you do go the enlist route then start working on the paperwork for OCS ASAP. Because there are alot of footwork to be done before you can even sumbit your paperwork. Like get all your past address, College Transcipt and etc...

I hope you know something about CTI. It is a pretty interesting rate. You can even apply to be an Aircrewmen and work in various platform (warfare communities) in the Navy. I wish you the best of luck. Oh always read the regs on the program you are applying for.

Fraz76 (Former RM2, In School and applying for BDCP)

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
MC,

Apply as soon as you can. Just remember that when you get to OCS, that it is boot camp all over agian. Just play the silly games and you'll do fine.

Dave

Mc

Hello again!
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I actually have a degree now and am finishing my Master's this August. Why am I considering enlisting instead of going straight into OCS? I am very interested in the language training offered to CTI personnel. Apparently the CTI officers, however, are not required to get the language training and are just paper pushers. I am not interested in administration right now. I also have heard that there is more money for college offered to enlisted personnel and I am very interested in law school after the language training is complete. The only reason that compels me to start out as an officer is that they have nicer housing. I figure that even as an officer, I still have to put up with tons of s**t from higher officers so it doesn't really matter (command wise) whether I am enlisted or not...I am still at the bottom of some food chain! I just wonder if I take the Bonus $ for going in as a CTI if I have a different commitment before I can go officer (I certainly want to complete the 1-2 years of language training before going to OCS). Thanks for your prompt replies! This website is wonderful.

-Mc

WFU2USN

Mc,

I totally understand your interest in college money and the language training for CTI. In enlisting, you would be able to get the GI Bill, and potentially, the Navy College Fund and an enlistment bonus.

If you get into OCS and obtain your commission you can still get the GI Bill (currently around $900/month) - this is the same as the one you'd get enlisted. One thing to consider...the pay difference between O1 and E3 (which you'd enter as w/ a Bachelor's and Master's). Take a look at the following link for the military pay chart: http://www.defenselink.mil/specials/pay2003/ Over a 4 year enlistment or active term as a commissioned officer, they difference may equal out.

As far as doing law school while enlisted, after you complete language school, that would be really tough. I'm pretty sure Kaplan's Concord Law School is the only one online right now and it is not recognized by the ABA yet. Even with 2 degrees, I don't think there's a program for an enlisted person to enter law school, unless they fufill their enlistment and then leave at their EAOS (End of Active Obligated Service). For officers there is an extremely competitive program that you can apply for after your first tour. Take a look at www.jag.navy.mil and look around for details.

I hope that helps!

Robin
IS2(SCW)

http://www.geocities.com/califchick1175/USN/navy.html

Undertow

DO NOT ENLIST IF YOU HAVE A DEGREE! Go through an officer recruiter like fraz was saying. I have been active duty for 1 yr. 6 months and just now got my package in for STA-21. I enlisted so I would be elligible for a prior active service age waiver. I have 1/2 yr. of college and I'm currently 24 (turn 25 in 13 days) so I didn't have a choice, it was either enlist or spend the next 2 years trying to get back in school after I getting laid off. IF YOU WANT TO FLY DON'T DO IT THE HARD WAY! It's much harder going through the program once you enlist than if you focus on it in the civilian world. Once you enlist ESPECIALLY as a CTI you will spend a bunch of time in school and once you finally get to your permanent duty station you'll have blown a year of your life that you could have dedicated getting into the program. That's a mouth full. SOOOO talk to an Officer Recruiter and see what he has to say.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Undertow ..... I see your frame of thinking but I just wanna play devils advocate for a sec. OCS ins't the easiest thing to get into right now. I would think that if you spent a year of your life building a resume as enlisted that it would definitely help. Now obviously if its Officer or bust thats a bad idea. But if your going to sit around for 6 months waiting to get your packet together and get an answer why not. As long as you can deal with the fact that you might not get accepted and will be stuck as enlisted, no prob. Just my 2 cents

Mc

Ok, I think there is a need for clarification...I doubt I will have much trouble getting accepted to OCS. I have a Master's degree, am in good shape, and have good scores. The issue is that I like the idea of learning Chinese as a CTI. I like the idea of actually knowing where the enlisted men come from. Officers rarely get to go to language school, officers rarely get the training that enlisted people do, officers are not as respected by the enlisted b/c they were commissioned in 13 weeks. I am not worried about living in a hammock type thing with a million others or worried about money, or worried about the fact that the enlisted people are not educated from a college. I want to learn a foreign language and for some reason this is not such an easy training to obtain for officers, apparently. If I am wrong...and I have researched the matter, then correct me. I am not making this decision b/c I think it is easier to get into OCS.

-Mc

AZSkegee

You are after your Dreams MC and when you do that money etc doesnt mean anything , thats exactly how I feel. go after your dreams and what you want to do. I do however have objection about this statement "or worried about the fact that the enlisted people are not educated from a college" I have to admit I had the same ideas before I enlisted, but during my year in the Navy I have come to realized to we have some bright and intelligent shipmates. Once you finally get into the Navy you will have to learn many things dealing with surface or air tactical issues. It doesnt matter if you have your Doctorates you will never be able to come in a start running things without training from your enlisted personel. (Its like being a 1rst round draft pick in a team sport such as football, it takes a few seasons to really get the hang of things- AVCM ???) This is just advice I wish all incoming officers take notice off.

Undertow

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with being enlisted here.. I like being junior enlisted. Grunt work is easy to do and is much less stressful than being in charge of a multimillion dollar operation. If you want to learn a foreign language being a CTI might be a good route for you. If you have your masters degree and you've been promised an enlistment bonus I'd double check with the recruiter on the what the current gouge on receiving or forfeiting that would be, it changed on me twice while I was in school. If I had a masters I'd get a decent job in the civilian world and wait it out, but that's just me. Just make sure you get everything you want in writing.

Goofytallguy

I enlisted under the aircrew program with a signing bonus, and the latest deal with that is you recieve it within 30 days of arriving at your first permanent duty station, if you leave during training to do anything else, OCS or otherwise, you forfeit the bonus.

knn7

MC,
I was in a similiar situation as yourself. I have a BA in History and am fluent in French. After not getting accepted to a Master's program at a French university in Canada ( my research was going to be on Franco-American issues), I began to look more seriously at the military. I had always wanted to join the Navy, but my parents were footing the bills for school and I couldn't diss them. I went and took the ASTB in January and only scored a 42. That same afternoon, since the officer recruiter said I would have no chance, I went to a regular Navy recruiting office. I spent an hour there asking questions about everything. The next day, I brought my mom with me, to have two brains thinking and asking questions. I told the Senior Chief that I was interested in language training. I scored really well on the ASVAB and had great line scores. I qualified for everything but Nuke. I went and took the DLAB, 114. All I had to do was go back to MEPS to sign the paperwork and get my rating. Between the recruiter's office and MEPS I waited some 7 hours for it all to be over. They had to make sure there was an opening for women, and somehow there was also an opening for CTI. I wanted to make sure I had a back up plan in case I was not selected to OCS. In May I found out that I was both professionally recommended and not selected for Intel. Now, I am glad I went and enlisted in January. I still have just over six months before shipping out to Great Lakes, but I have my spot.
Many have asked me why I would enlist and not go to OCS since I have my Bachelor's. Many do not understand just how selective the board is for OCS. Being enlist will give me a foundation which will allow me to be more competitive later on for OCS. In the civilian world, there are not too many companies who want someone who has a degree, but not much experience. My enlistment will give me that opportunity. If OCS is in my cards later, great. If it is not, I will still have a fulfilling career in the Navy.

Keith Nielsen

MC,
While I commend your dedication to your dreams, there are a few things that you will realize about the enlisted Navy. First off, to say that the enlisted Navy is uneducated is way off base. You are going to meet many enlisted men and women (both junior and senior enlisted) who have their degrees. In many cases they will also have a master's degree, or are currently working on one. Also, as a AZSkegee said, the junior officers need the enlisted personnel. Who do you think trains them on how to do their job? One of the main duties of Chief Petty Officers is to train and mentor the junior officers in the fleet. The enlisted force are the experts, the officers are the managers. I am not trying to get into an argument about who is better, or more important. As an E-6 awaiting my OCS report date I think that both are equally important to the navy. I hope you do get what you want out of the navy, and it seems that you do have an open mind about it. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.