• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted to Officer vs. 'Outside' to Officer

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know of many Nuke E's to Pilot, BUT.... Myself along with 4 others from my electrical divison on a big deck (USS IKE) all got picked up for STA-21 NFO. One in FY-07, 3 including myself in FY-08, and one in FY-09.

So, IT DOES HAPPEN... Quite often I might add.

I was specifically addressing this statement:

I can't imagine a nuke officer transitioning.

I knew plenty of prior nuke E's in my squadrons, but for an officer it is very rare from what I have seen.

Attention to detail gents.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
What they all said. Priorness means almost nothing other than people don't look and talk at you like you just joined yesterday for the 24ish months that you're an O-1. The problem is that people will look and talk at you that way the entire time you're enlisted provided you don't stay that way more than 4 or 5 years.

That and Navy enlisted guys have it pretty damn hard from what I've seen. Harder than a lot of Marines. I don't think I'd keep a good attitude having to live in the sardine shack knowing that I almost as easily could be living in a 4 man room and eating in the wardroom.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
That and Navy enlisted guys have it pretty damn hard from what I've seen.

Based on my experiences, I would say this holds true more so for the enlisted folks on surface ships. SWO's are a different beast and the "Ivory Tower" mentality between Officers and Enlisted folks does not help. I would not want to be an E-3 or below on a CVN or any other large skimmer.

On submarines, enlisted guys are treated pretty good, IMHO, especially after they earn their dolphins (submarine warfare qualification). Don't get me wrong, we all work hard, including the Officers and the NUCs. Ask any submariner and I doubt you will find one that would want to go to the surface fleet.

eyes2theskies, I would not look at the decision to go Enlisted of Officer as a matter of working harder. They are completely different paths. What is your end game?

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
End Game? To be a test pilot, astronaut, and aerospace engineer (I plan on picking up at least one more degree).
To be part of the testing, development, analysis and application of space and near-space weapons, including air/spacecraft. Our goodies need to be flying higher, quieter and faster, hitting targets farther with no delay, and in general, be safer - and I want to make that happen.

I'll be starting as a NA though, and would like to be one for a great long time before I start testing x craft.

I want to be on a CVN, because I want to be carrier qualified. In fact, that is why I chose Navy and not AF. 0-165 in 2 secs, yes please and thank you sir may I have another :D. I hear Commanders are pilots with nuke backgrounds.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'll be starting as a NA though, and would like to be one for a great long time before I start testing x craft.

Oh you will, will you? :eek: My best advice to you is to concentrate on picking up that commission (or even getting into a commissioning program), and worry about the rest later. The next few years will be enough of a challenge for you, before you even get a shot at Pensacola, and an SNA slot. Good luck!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
End Game? To be a test pilot, astronaut, and aerospace engineer (I plan on picking up at least one more degree).
To be part of the testing, development, analysis and application of space and near-space weapons, including air/spacecraft. Our goodies need to be flying higher, quieter and faster, hitting targets farther with no delay, and in general, be safer - and I want to make that happen.

I want to be on a CVN, because I want to be carrier qualified. In fact, that is why I chose Navy and not AF. 0-165 in 2 secs, yes please and thank you sir may I have another :D. I hear Commanders are pilots with nuke backgrounds.

Someone has been eating their Wheaties!!!

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
Oh you will, will you? :eek: My best advice to you is to concentrate on picking up that commission (or even getting into a commissioning program), and worry about the rest later. The next few years will be enough of a challenge for you, before you even get a shot at Pensacola, and an SNA slot. Good luck!

Aye! Focus on the tasks at hand! Good idea. :eek:

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Or you could be a great NCO and candidate for STA-21 then go wreck an SUV with a couple squadron buddies and get MAST'd out of any officer program for a while.

No, it wasn't FMRAM. ;)

I don't think he would have believed STA-21, I am not sure anyone would have. :D

You can be so flattering sometimes Flash! :D