• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted to OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cass

Grumpy
Hello all, I have just registered to use the forum, but have been reading it for quite a few months. First, a little about myself.

I am an enlisted E-5 on shore duty in Japan. I am 27, been in for just over 9, and was accepted to OCS as a SNA in April of this year . Here is what I can tell you and I hope it helps calm your fears about your package. My EAOS was in May of 02, I just finished my B.S. from Embry-Riddle with a 3.0 GPA in January. I was strapped for time because it was either go officer or get out, either way I didn't have much time.

My package was compiled like this: OPNAV 1420.1, last 3 evaluations (two must promotes and 1 early promote), Flight physical, Officer interviews (3)(try to have an O-3,4,&5 do the interview), awards, cover letter, and first endorsement, transcripts, and that's it. Some people say that it helps to have letters of recommendation included, but I don't think it matters. I think they are looking for hard-chargers and people who can handle the stress. I am a living example that the age waiver for prior enlisted works. I just turned 27 in July...so no problems there.

I believe that there are two things that helped me get in. I earned my B.S. while on active duty, start to finish in three years, with a 3.0 average and I was ranked 5 of 76 E-5 at my command. The personal statement also needs to be strong so that the board can get a good idea of your morals and values as well as what you have to offer the Navy as an officer.

Here's the thing with me though, I got the phone number of the civilian guy that actually receives and pre-screens the packages when they get sent out (have your command send them by FedEx). I called him to verify receipt of my package and at the same time hinted around as to when I might know if I was selected or not. He tells me, "yeah, I have your package right here. We'll probably review it today (Monday), and if you call me on Friday (the same week), i'll tell you if you made it or not." I had an e-mail sitting in my in-box on Wednesday morning notifying me of SELECTION! I was stoked. I had only studied for the ASTB for a few weeks, and had to take it after standing a 2400-0800 watch. So to make a long story longer, if I can do it, surely many more can too. This guy's name is:
Ed Phillips
Officer Programs (Code 3118)
Navy Recruiting Command
5722 Integrity Drive
Millington, TN 38054
(901) 874-9220 DSN 882-9220
FAX (901) 874-9230
E-MAIL: PHILLIPSE@CNRC.NAVY.MIL

A word of caution! I wouldn't contact this guy before you send him your package, and I surely wouldn't bug him too much after he gets it. Good luck to you all. By the way, is anyone headed over to P-cola in December? I have a class start date of 8 Dec 02. Later, Cass

Goliath112

hey dude welcome to the forum. PRO AERO right? me too i'm graduating from ERAU in June of next year. I got out in the Fall,99 and thats when I started school. I wish I took more classes cause I'd be done by now. anyway Congrtualtions on your selection. I hope I get in too. I just submitted for BDCP two days ago.

have I got a long way to run...

DDriver

Cass: Congratulations !Did you had flying experience?

All: Do you gents know if the age waiver still applies
if an enlisted guy like me who gets out and apply
for OCS->Pilot slot- at age 30? Yep, getting old here

Is it also easier to get pilot slot through ECP(AFter acquiring a degree) than STA-21? Plus one could choose between Chair Force or Navy with some flying experience. What do you guys think?

Squid going Air Force...he he

cman

Hey Cass, I see you're in Atsugi. How do you like it? A good buddy of mine joined the Navy after graduating dental school and is there in Atsugi and loves it. His name is Lt. Doan, so if you happen to go for a check up and get him, tell him Shaffer says "what's up."

Chris

JayManC

Hey Cass, I called Ed to find out about my package, and found out that he only processes active duty apps, any word on who to call if you're a civie like myself? He told me to get in touch with my recruiter, but I'm tired of playing phone tag with him, not to mention I'm leary of a 25yr HM1 who keeps trying to talk me out of everything.

<insert something witty here:>

Cass

Grumpy
I really like Atsugi and Japan in general...I've been over here for 8 years, Japanese wife, kick azz Japanese fishing gear! It's time to roll out of here though. Getting kind of stagnant,Probably because I start OCS in December! Later, Cass

cuculeis

just wanted to know who will be headed for OCS in late October? say the 25th or so...I just found out today that I got accepted! and to think that i submitted my package on the 5th of september...what a quick turnaround! 4 days! and an OCS class in just over a month. anyways im looking for those of you who i just might see in october...if your one of them give me a hello...

cman

Cuculeis, congratulations. I can't believe you got a date that close. Did your recruiter give you a reason why. Most people getting accepted on this board are waiting close to a year.

Congrats again,

Chris

dewahl

I would suspect the reason he got picked up now was because of his age. They reserve space for guys that are close to goin over.

Dave

cuculeis

i think it has to do with being active duty (enlisted)...as well as my age. but in the instruction OPNAV 1420.1 they say that they determine class date by marriage status...go figure..thanks by the way..

cuculeis

i doesnt specify, i would want to guess sooner.. a buddy of mine who is a NFO on E-6s was at OCS within a month of submitting and he was married. go figure...

BONE77

Hey guys, does it seem to you that the only people that are accepted are the ones that have walked on water and parted the Red Sea on the ASTB? I went to ERAU with a 3.2 like a couple of you guys but I did five years in the Air Force. My OAR was 47 but they seem to be looking at people in the 50s. Does that age waiver apply to people in other branches? Anyway thanx for sharing info and good luck to all.
BONE

cman

Cuculeis-- NFO or bust for me as well.

Bone-- I hope you're right about the board liking OARs in the 50 range. Mine was a 53.

Status
Not open for further replies.