• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted to Naval Aviator

exNavyOffRec

Hi, I am currently in DEP as a nuke. I am ready to serve my country, but my main goal is to become an aviator. I have been told by many that it is a bad idea to enlist as a nuke. My plan is to apply to sta21 or if I get my degree straight to OCS.

So my questions are... If I enlist, would being a nuke make it easier or harder to get into the aviation side? and what job would look better on my application to either program for the aviator package?

Do you have a degree? If so what are your stats, if not, then what have you been doing since high school?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
My school had a nuke program, so I'm sure we saw a lot more Nuke STA-21's than other schools, but I'll say that I knew more than a couple guys get SNA/SNFO coming from that background. Do well in your job, get good evals, get picked up for STA-21, and work your butt off from there. I wouldn't say that enlisting first is the easiest way, but it can and has been done. If you want it, you can make it happen (barring being physically DQ'd).

robav8r

None
Contributor
I wouldn't say that enlisting first is the easiest way . . . .

You know, that's really the point here. I have a PhD in "doing it the hard way." Notice I didn't say the "smart" way. Yes, many, many good qualified folks have joined the Wardroom from the enlisted ranks. But take the opportunity to LISTEN to those that have the experience that have gone before you. If you are qualified and want to be an Officer - don't settle for anything less.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Absolutely sir, wasn't trying to insinuate that it was a great plan......just that if the guy is already committed, he still has hope (even if it is a long, challenging, uncertain route of getting there)

Sutton004

Do you have a degree? If so what are your stats, if not, then what have you been doing since high school?
I do not have a degree I have about 60ish credit hours just missing some core classes to have the associates. I have maintained a 3.5 through college probably will drop to about a 3.2 because of my recent finals, and I had a 3.2 or so in high school.

Sutton004

Also if i go to college and get my degree and say I get an NROTC scholarship, I know you can put down a preference on what package you want for OCS. Also I know it depends on the Navy's needs, but how often are guys put somewhere entirely else? I know I don't mean to be asking one of those "what are my chances" questions. just wondering what has happened to others in their experience.

exNavyOffRec

Also if i go to college and get my degree and say I get an NROTC scholarship, I know you can put down a preference on what package you want for OCS. Also I know it depends on the Navy's needs, but how often are guys put somewhere entirely else? I know I don't mean to be asking one of those "what are my chances" questions. just wondering what has happened to others in their experience.

So it seems you have done fine in college so far, but what direction were you going in? Engineering, Political Science, Business......

Your best shot would be OCS, NROTC only offers a few 2 year scholarships.