• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted to Academy

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
My friend wants to apply to the Naval Academy. He is currently enlisted and wanted to know some pointers and if the academy keeps spots open for enlisted personnel that meet the requirements. Any help would be great!

Thanks!

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Every class always has priors in it. I don't know if they have a certain quota of them or not. My guess is kind of. As far as pointers, just do great at your job and talk to academy guys in the command about the place.

phrogpilot73

Every class always has priors in it. I don't know if they have a certain quota of them or not. My guess is kind of. As far as pointers, just do great at your job and talk to academy guys in the command about the place.
When you're enlisted, and you apply to the Academy you receive a SecNav nomination automatically if you are offered an appointment (i.e. you don't have to apply to a congressman). There are 85 active duty slots, and 85 reserve slots per year for SecNav nominations. My class had about 100 or so priors - so those slots often go unfilled. I don't know where the info is for the prior enlisted Navy guys, but Marines should look up MCO P1530.11G which covers all the details.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
^What he said.

I went the enlisted-USNA route on the Marine side, as did several others on this site. I suggest that you do a search, as there are several threads touching on this topic. If you have specific questions that remain unanswered, though, go ahead and ask them. I'm sure we either know the answer or can point you in the right direction.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Like Phrog said, there are usually a good number of empty slots each year, so odds are pretty decent. However, they won't just fill the slots to have warm bodies there, and I had quite a few friends who had to go NAPS (the preparatory school) before getting an offer for USNA.

Keep an ear to the ground for the opportunity to apply. If I remember correctly I had to start my application in the early spring of the year I got accepted. Check out the Academy's website for lots of info, and this is the most current (that I could find) document on enlisted to officer programs.

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
Thanks everyone for the help. Any more information would be great. I want to get this kid in the USNA because I know he would do good, any help is always wonderful.

Thanks!