• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted Recruiter making me wait to talk to Officer Recruiter

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Perhaps not, but isn't there something wrong with expecting recruits to do supplemental internet research under the assumption that the recruiter WILL lie to him? Some guys go recruiters actually expecting to be told the truth.

Most of you say that some recruiter's lie, but in fact they tell half-truths or at least they don't tell the whole story. Big difference.

On a side note, Spekkio you'll make a fine sub-mariner. :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Most of you say that some recruiter's lie, but in fact they tell half-truths or at least they don't tell the whole story. Big difference.
I think it was MB who had his signature say this awhile back. "Detailers don't lie, the truth just changes.":D

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Since I have no idea what you mean by that, I'll take it as a compliment :D

I think it means you're gay.

We have had this argument before, gents. You know that saying about stereotypes-There's a grain of truth in every one. Well, nothing is more true than that. Recruiters really are sales people. I think they would be the most unbelievable real estate agents...EVER! They could sell anything to anybody. When you buy a house, all the gurus be sure to tell you not to get emotionally attached. Look at >25 houses before you make a decision. The agent doesn't work for you. They work for the seller. That is who his/her fiduciary responsibility is with.

Same thing with the military. The recruiter isn't working for the applicant, no matter what anybody thinks. People are just so fucking stupid. Just like they get saddled with a shitty house and a shitty mortgage, and they're like a little fucking kid holding up a broken toy to Uncle Sam. Except in the military, when they get a deal they don't like, they can't hold their toy up to Uncle Sam.

What ever happened to lying in the bed you've made for YOURSELF. Damn these stupid-asses make me mad. Every single event in your life comes as a consequence of your actions. How about teaching our children some personal responsibility and taking the heat off the recruiters for just adapting to the situation? They're simply taking the path of least resistance like anybody in any position would.

phrogpilot73

E1-E4 is peanuts, mostly.
I disagree. I understand that you're saying that if you're a college grad who enlists, then yes - it's peanuts for pay. HOWEVER, E1-E4 generally have to live in the barracks, and are given meal cards to eat (for free) in the chow hall. SO, they have absolutely no bills - all of their money is for entertainment... That's actually not that bad. The reason it SEEMS bad is the sheer number of them that decide they NEED what they WANT, so they get into the hole with credit cards, etc... Just my $0.02

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I disagree. I understand that you're saying that if you're a college grad who enlists, then yes - it's peanuts for pay. HOWEVER, E1-E4 generally have to live in the barracks, and are given meal cards to eat (for free) in the chow hall. SO, they have absolutely no bills - all of their money is for entertainment... That's actually not that bad. The reason it SEEMS bad is the sheer number of them that decide they NEED what they WANT, so they get into the hole with credit cards, etc... Just my $0.02

I've given serious, serious thought to writing a book about personal financial management for the junior enlisted that doesn't read like an MCI or NAVMC.

What do you guys think of that?

(The sweetest, left turnest threadjack I've ever attempted, BTW)

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
What ever happened to lying in the bed you've made for YOURSELF. Damn these stupid-asses make me mad. Every single event in your life comes as a consequence of your actions. How about teaching our children some personal responsibility and taking the heat off the recruiters for just adapting to the situation? They're simply taking the path of least resistance like anybody in any position would.

The words I could not find earlier. Thank you.:icon_zbee

k_smittay

HOWEVER, E1-E4 generally have to live in the barracks, and are given meal cards to eat (for free) in the chow hall. SO, they have absolutely no bills - all of their money is for entertainment... That's actually not that bad.

What about the other 60-70% of E1-E-4 who live on the boat FULL time. No BAH, no barracks, no COMRATS. I have known many folks who would share a 2 bedroom apartment with 5-6 people because living on a boat all the time is no fun.

The squadrons normally have the luxury of barracks for all the enlisted. Boats do not normally have that luxury.

So you can't act like E1-E-4 is some cake walk.

phrogpilot73

I've given serious, serious thought to writing a book about personal financial management for the junior enlisted that doesn't read like an MCI or NAVMC.

What do you guys think of that?
As long as you don't sound like a SNCO when you write it, I'd buy it for my Marines. I think it's a phenomenal idea!

What about the other 60-70% of E1-E-4 who live on the boat FULL time. No BAH, no barracks, no COMRATS. I have known many folks who would share a 2 bedroom apartment with 5-6 people because living on a boat all the time is no fun.

The squadrons normally have the luxury of barracks for all the enlisted. Boats do not normally have that luxury.

No, E1-E4 isn't a cakewalk. However, you proved my point. You should have said "No BAH, no barracks, no COMRATS, no bills" Yes, I know that living on a boat sucks (c'mon, I only have to do it 6 months at a time and I hate it), but compared to your average 17-21 year old, non-college educated dude - they still do quite well.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
What about the other 60-70% of E1-E-4 who live on the boat FULL time.

Reason numero uno that I didn't even go see the Navy recruiter.

No BAH, no barracks, no COMRATS.

No BAH or Comrats for us either. Although it doesn't really compare to living in a grey, metal box full time, the barracks thing gets old super fast. I was fortunate enough to never have a roommate who thought knockin' da boots with a barracks rat while you were present was acceptable.

This is one place where I think we've actually pulled ahead of the Navy in comfort. When I came in, we were at the very tail end of all units living in a squad bay, which is a lot like living on a boat. When you made E-4 you got to live in a "room" with another E-4. Your room was made of wall lockers.

Our current 1st Sgts think we're "soft" because we have barracks rooms.

I have known many folks who would share a 2 bedroom apartment with 5-6 people because living on a boat all the time is no fun.

Better than living in a barracks room with 3 others, and having to field day and having H&C inspections every week.

It was never meant to be. I never, ever want to repeat my first year in the Marine Corps. I rank it right up there with living with your mom. You even get the free meatloaf and Jello and things are just as crunchy when you brng women over, but you make WAY more than delivering pizza. The uniform is better, too.

I also visited some Civil War forts/museums. If you made NCO you got to sleep in the same rack with only one other person. What a luxury.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!

What Phrog said. The vast majority of the junior E's that I heard b!tching about not enough money were the ones that felt the need to marry the first FNB that they encountered out in town and start making carbon copies of themselves.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Perhaps not, but isn't there something wrong with expecting recruits to do supplemental internet research under the assumption that the recruiter WILL lie to him? Some guys go recruiters actually expecting to be told the truth.

While I agree that the recruiter shouldn't lie I don't think it is the job of the recruiter to outline every possible career path. Some people just don't ask questions. I have heard the standard "My recruiter never told me that." Well did you ask? People do more research on buying a car then they do on joining the the military which affects their life for the next 4+ years.

haubby

None
Contributor
It always ircks me to see a E-1/3 with a new fancy car. I remember what my insurance premiums were for just liability on a 91 Accord and I was 18. I couldn't fathom being 18 today and and paying full coverage on an 08 model on top of paying the car note also. I doubt I'd have any money left over at the end of the day.

Our junior enlisted may have a higher ratio of disposable income than that of the average college student/non-grad their age but that doesn't necessarily mean they know how to manage it wisely.

The pay has definitely improved over the years but ultimately its the sailor/marines job to learn to how manage their own money. The stigma of crappy pay exists because there are those of us out there who were never taught how to manage their own money properly and they are the ones who get into situations that draw negative views upon us. I blame crappy parenting but thats neither here nor there. I'm sure other variables existed as to why they were never taught.

The Navy/Marine Corps understands the problem and are trying to get the word out by having us do all those NKO courses out there. But thats another topic all together.

Maybe a little of the old threadjack but maybe it explains the views of the peanuts we receive for pay. I have some studying to tend to...

dbrauer87

I personally have looked into all the pay scales and all the options for me with my degree. As a college grad with absolutely no work experience in my field there are almost no jobs that I am even considered for. Of course I could probably find a job that would pay under $30k a year. But why would I do that when I could go officer start off making more than that and better myself in many ways. A job that requires me to keep physically fit is my type of job....i tend to slack off in that area sometimes when I don't think about it. On the note of enlisted guys, my father, who joined back in 1980 I believe, has 6 kids...started in 81...had one every 2 years til me then had my 2 younger sisters a few years later spread apart a little more. My mom teaches so her income isn't much, but on his income we lived well....we never had housing problems, I really do think that without a college degree enlisted is amazing. My girlfriend right now can't find a job at all. If she was of a mind to I would convince her to enlist, she would make so much more money than she makes now, which is nothing because she got fired for looking for a better job. If I wanted to go enlisted I would've done that right out of high school. Also has anybody seen those bonuses they are offering for enlisting???

lmnop

Also has anybody seen those bonuses they are offering for enlisting???
Bingo. To use EOD as an example:

40K enlistment bonus
90K Zone A SRB
90K Zone B SRB
90K Zone C SRB
150K CSRB

Once you add the special pays in on top of the base pay and allowances, it's a pretty decent paycheck even without the bonuses. Due to bonuses and sdap, I actually make just a tad less as a 15 year O3E than a 10 year E7 in our community.

And yes, I realize it isn't that way with all rates, but the opportunities exist.