• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted or Reserves

ND3

I’m interested in a direct commission with the Navy. I submitted a packet for the Reserves, however was not selected. I was told that I could reapply in 6 mos., but that I should consider going active duty as I have a better chance of selection because there is more vacancy.
This was information told to me by my Recruiter. Can anyone share with me if this is factual or not?

exNavyOffRec

I agree with the post above, your post is very vague, it is like asking a mechanic to estimate the repair on your car when he hasn't seen it and you haven't told him what is wrong, we aren't mind readers even though our wives think we are sometimes.

ND3

Welcome. You’ll have to tell us a lot more about yourself, your background, your goal(s), etc. for any advice to be worthwhile.

Thank you for your reply. I am 41 years of age with a bachelor's in managerial accounting. I began my desire to have a career within the military at 39 years of age... roughly 6 months prior to my 40th birthday. My biggest obstacle was having to drop the weight and I did and have maintained it.

I started with an Army recruiter that informed me that I was able to join and that he would be able to have an age waiver approved so that I could enlist, however that was not factual and quite disappointing as there was valuable time wasted. Wasted in the aspect that I have found out over the course of time that the Navy has a cut off of 39 years of age on the enlisted side. In further looking into I learned that for the Reserves side applicants are accepted up to the age of 42 prior to commission. So, I submitted my packet for the Navy reserve as a supply officer but was not selected and told to reapply in 6 mos. if I desire. With "time" being a major factor as I am not 41 I am looking to submit my packet for an Officer on the active duty side with the Navy. I've considered the Program Affairs Officer and the INTEL officer. I also NEED to take the OAR which I have been studying for. With regards to study material I have been trying to keep my focus to math, mechanics and the reading comprehension. Study material does not seem to be as available like you see for the ASVAB.

Now, the Reserve recruiter informed me that the odds of my getting selected is more favorable on the active duty side, I did inquire about the age consideration and ne informed me that he has only seen 20 year old applicants get selected.

I'm looking for advice and guidance. Can anyone share with me IF this is true/ factual on the odds of my being selected greater on the active side as opposed to the reserves?

ND3

I agree with the post above, your post is very vague, it is like asking a mechanic to estimate the repair on your car when he hasn't seen it and you haven't told him what is wrong, we aren't mind readers even though our wives think we are sometimes.

Thank you for your reply. I am 41 years of age with a bachelor's in managerial accounting. I began my desire to have a career within the military at 39 years of age... roughly 6 months prior to my 40th birthday. My biggest obstacle was having to drop the weight and I did and have maintained it.

I started with an Army recruiter that informed me that I was able to join and that he would be able to have an age waiver approved so that I could enlist, however that was not factual and quite disappointing as there was valuable time wasted. Wasted in the aspect that I have found out over the course of time that the Navy has a cut off of 39 years of age on the enlisted side. In further looking into I learned that for the Reserves side applicants are accepted up to the age of 42 prior to commission. So, I submitted my packet for the Navy reserve as a supply officer but was not selected and told to reapply in 6 mos. if I desire. With "time" being a major factor as I am not 41 I am looking to submit my packet for an Officer on the active duty side with the Navy. I've considered the Program Affairs Officer and the INTEL officer. I also NEED to take the OAR which I have been studying for. With regards to study material I have been trying to keep my focus to math, mechanics and the reading comprehension. Study material does not seem to be as available like you see for the ASVAB.

Now, the Reserve recruiter informed me that the odds of my getting selected is more favorable on the active duty side, I did inquire about the age consideration and ne informed me that he has only seen 20 year old applicants get selected.

I'm looking for advice and guidance. Can anyone share with me IF this is true/ factual on the odds of my being selected greater on the active side as opposed to the reserves?

TheClyde

What is program affairs officer? Do you mean public affairs?
What is driving your desire to serve? Why navy specifically? Are you wanting to only be an officer or are you willing to enlist? Reserves or active?
In general I would say its easier to be selected for active duty, as applying for the DCO reserves positions require quite a bit of real work experience. However, you're of the age that you should have that experience. What sort of work experience do you have/what is your current job?

ND3

What is program affairs officer? Do you mean public affairs?
What is driving your desire to serve? Why navy specifically? Are you wanting to only be an officer or are you willing to enlist? Reserves or active?
In general I would say its easier to be selected for active duty, as applying for the DCO reserves positions require quite a bit of real work experience. However, you're of the age that you should have that experience. What sort of work experience do you have/what is your current job?

My apologies, yes Public Affairs Officer.
I have always had the desire to serve my country, I come from a lineage of family members that have served and strongly believe that my education and work experience would allow me to be a benefit to the Navy. I'm striving to be apart of the 10%. I am willing to enlist, but told that the age cut off is 39. The officer program allows for my current age. I did submit a packet for reserves, and felt hopeful about it as my career experience and education certainly lined up the criteria however was not selected.
My current job is in the field of accountancy, I have strong experience in the banking industry and audit as it relates to physical items and monetary. I have also had some experience in communications through employment.

exNavyOffRec

Pretty much all I have to say is not good news but it is what it is. PAO very rarely takes anyone that hasn't been enlisted as an MC in the USN, on the very few occasions they have the person had been doing either work as a news reported or as a public affairs person in a large company. Intel is currently closed for FY 22 and should reopen for FY 23 which means the first board they will select FY 23 will be around March/April with the first graduating class after October 1st.

You have to graduate OCS prior to your 42nd birthday.

Reactions: ND3

ND3

Pretty much all I have to say is not good news but it is what it is. PAO very rarely takes anyone that hasn't been enlisted as an MC in the USN, on the very few occasions they have the person had been doing either work as a news reported or as a public affairs person in a large company. Intel is currently closed for FY 22 and should reopen for FY 23 which means the first board they will select FY 23 will be around March/April with the first graduating class after October 1st.

You have to graduate OCS prior to your 42nd birthday.

No, like you said, "it is what it is" but I am most appreciate of you being forward and knowledgeable. I have had new Recruiters thus far and all have been in the learning mode with me. I've tried and continue to do my due diligence on acquiring information the best that I can. I admit I keep coming up short and close to deadlines. Is there any other avenue to consider that you may be aware of for me to consider currently? I thought to inquire about an age waiver for supply even.

exNavyOffRec

No, like you said, "it is what it is" but I am most appreciate of you being forward and knowledgeable. I have had new Recruiters thus far and all have been in the learning mode with me. I've tried and continue to do my due diligence on acquiring information the best that I can. I admit I keep coming up short and close to deadlines. Is there any other avenue to consider that you may be aware of for me to consider currently? I thought to inquire about an age waiver for supply even.

You can ask but it would be rare, when do you hit 42

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
You can ask but it would be rare, when do you hit 42

He could commission after 42, but he would have to sign a waiver stating he understands he cannot get 20 good years and therefore no retirement benefits. Is that possible?

exNavyOffRec

He could commission after 42, but he would have to sign a waiver stating he understands he cannot get 20 good years and therefore no retirement benefits. Is that possible?
They won't do that for OCS, they will for AD docs, Chaplains, basically medical specialties and hard to get people.

exNavyOffRec

JULY 3RD 2022
That makes the only 2 options essentially impossible due to age, Intel won't be shipping FY 22 selectees to OCS until early July and so you couldn't commission by age 42, PAO which is a very long shot has 1 board per year and the deadline is a week from Friday and you have to submit a portfolio of published articles/photos with the application.