• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted Bootcamp vs. OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airboss2B

For those of you who have gone through both the Navy's enlisted bootcamp and OCS, what are some of the differences and similarities? What can an E-6 expect at OCS?

hawkdocfmf

You can expect to be a nasty prior. The similarities are pretty much the "games". There is far more pt, not really that difficult though. Uniforms are more expensive. The good part is when your class secures there is weekend liberty. Any specific questions let me know

Airboss2B

I'm not too worried about the "games" becaused I've played them before. I just hope my 31 yr old body can take what my 20 yr old did before. I was also wondering how they handled the priors who already know what the real fleet is like. I'm sure most of us know to play it straight and to keep the attention low. Do priors get singled out a lot and held to much higher standards? I would expect this would be the case. I'm sure it's hard to keep a low profile with a war chest.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Welcome to the old mans OCS club. I went through at 31 as well. The Marines made it a little more interesting than Navy Boot Camp. They will get your attention. Just remember that OCS is in its own little world. It is nothing like the real Navy. You should let the new guys in your class know that. If you have no leg problems while running you'll be ok. I had pretty bad shin splints throughout ocs. Remember how to use the system for your advantage. If you feel like you are starting to have leg pain, then get the watchbill coordinator in your class to put you on the 4 to 8 watch on the long run days. Also, on somedays not all, it is better to drop out of a run and give your legs a rest than risk hurting them further and roll to GTX. Be extremely careful about going to medical and complaining about leg pains. They will roll your butt in a heartbeat. One of the docs I knew told me to take whatever I needed to get through and just keep it to myself. I had a damn medicine chest at ocs. Also use ice as much as you can. Just show up in the best possible shape and you'll be alright.

Dave

hawkdocfmf

Couldnt agree more I was 33 when I went through, and there were a couple of 34 yr olds. Protect the legs and you will make it.

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
You can expect alot of BS. I was 31 with 12 years in. It's just putting up with it and taking it day by day. Go to medical before you get there and get a prescription for the motrin 800. The prescription will make it legal and you will be able to keep it in your locker. I used it the whole way through and it saved my knees. The runs aren't that bad, I never dropped out and I am slow. Just keep running and don't give up, even if you are going slow. Make them put you in the van. I never broke the 10:30 mark and never got broke down too bad at the end when they mash the slow ones. Whenever Gunny Murphy would see me getting beat for coming in after 10:30, she would pull me out cause she knew I was older and within my out PFA standards. Don't sweat it, just do your best and play the game. Oh by the way, the punishment for dropping out of a run in my class was a counseling and a special one on one PT session with gunny at her convenience. Same thing with not passing the weekly PFA at out PFA standards. You got counseled and put on her **** list. Nothing ever really happened with the counselings, they just go in your record. Didn't effect class placement very much. Have fun and good luck.

Airboss2B

It is good to see that there is a little mercy for us old farts. Being 6'5", I have always had issues with my knees. I have always been able to work around any problems. I just hope they last me through three months of hell. What kind of times do they expect out of the over 30 crowd in the first couple of weeks? I will be on deployment when my selection results come in so the only running I can do will be on a treadmill. Not the best method of preparation for OCS.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
I agree with rob about the motrin prescript. Get the prescription at another base not at Pcola. Its nice to see Murphy relaxing on the older guys. I was in her first class and she did not care how old you were in regards to the mashings after the mck pfa's or runs. Murphy and I had a special relationship. We didnt get along. This is because she said I was to mouthy. I told it like it was and she didnt like it. So.. for the last two weeks ,candi o phase, I had to report to her every morning for my personal beating (about 20 min mashing). This was actually fun as I would sing to her as she pt's me. This lasted until the day I graduated. Oh what fun. So, its really nice to see that she has seen the light with us old farts.

Dave

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
Thanks for the advice on the Motrin. I'll have it in my bag before I get to OCS. My main prob. is shin splints which slow my run time down.

Dave, did you select for jets?

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Not yet, I hope in about 2 weeks. I got pneumonia about three weeks ago and only started flying again this week. Now the hurricane/TS is playing havoic on our scheds. So, hopefully in a couple two or three weeks I'll select.

Dave

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
Well Dave, I was her adjutant and kept her records and everything else up to speed. I had a lot of positive face time and took care of the younger kids. Maybe that helped out. Besides that, she knew it wouldn't make a difference anyway. You can only run as far and as fast as your body will let you. I found my pace and stuck with it. Same as with the mashings, you can only push until your arms give out and thats it. I realized from the start and didn't let them get to me. They usually didn't bother me a whole lot, even during the inspections. Besides that we had enough rocks in our class to take the majority of the heat. I took a lot of hits during inspections, but never pushed that much.

paullatina

Dave or Rob,
Would you suggest I strictly get the Motrin prescription from the base doctors or could I get it from my family physician before I come to OCS? I wouldnt want them to start probing through everything as to why I might have a prescription before checking in. How should this be handled?

Is it safe to assume you kept your medicine chest in your car?

Thanks for the great gouge. -Paul

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
For you to keep it in your locker, it needs to be a military prescription. That will make it easier. All other stuff like vitamine C, cold meds, or other stuff, you need to keep in your car. Maybe even throw in a bag of candy so you can get your sugar fix at night. DI's never said anything about meds and arrangements were made after we got there to get refils for candidates. Good luck, rob

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
censored_125.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.