• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted Advancement while being selected

BrianTruix

In January I applied to an Officer board and was selected and found out about a week prior to the March exam. My command, thinking I an now an OCS selectee, did not allow me to take the March exam. With COVID I don't even have a date for OCS yet and who knows how much longer it will be till they need candidates in my designator.
Info: I'm already on my second extension so I am under the impression I could not extend again.
My questions: My EAOS is in December and I do not want to re-enlist as a second class to prevent a break in service till my OCS date simply due to the fact that I do not want to owe time if something happens for whatever reason and I get dropped at OCS and kicked back to the fleet. I would have been prevented from taking two first class exams that I would have promoted off of. Does this sound like the correct course of action?
Is it in some instruction that allows them to prevent advancement opportunity simply because I was an OCS Selectee?

TLDR: Can my command prevent me from taking and advancing off enlisted test as an OCS candidate with no date? Could have tested in March and will probably miss Sept if the midset continues.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I'm far from an expert on this, but as a prior DIVO and DH, I would've raised the BS flag quickly if someone told me one of my folks couldn't take an advancement exam. I can't imagine selection for OCS made you ineligible for the exam, because some people don't finish.

It's a different program, but I know for sure STA-21 officer candidates can take advancement exams and promote while at the ROTC unit.

Sounds like you got screwed. Hopefully one of the recruiter/HR types on this forum can tell you how to proceed.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
BUPERSINST 1430.16G, page 2-9, paragraph 207. You can't take the advancement exam if you're selected for OCS. It looks like the only commissioning program that isn't eligible for advancement.

As far as reenlisting, I'd go ahead and do it. 99% sure any orders you execute to OCS will include a minimum enlisted commitment if you fail or quit, but I'm not positive. Be careful taking any bonuses though, as you'll have to pay a prorated amount back.

Attachments

• BUPERSINST_1430.16.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

FinkUFreaky

pilot
You don't fail OCS. It's almost impossible unless you quit, if you put the effort in. Only people I saw not make it through either got sent there when they never should have (eg couldn't do the pushups on a scrawny frame, which should have been noticed in the application process and surely wouldn't be an unknown to an active enlisted member), or weren't willing the play the game and all that it entails for 12 weeks. As they say it's not all chokers and dining outs haha! I haven't been to basic, but my brother did both. So I have his perspective, and it was also talked about in a separate thread on here not too too long ago.

It's definitely a different beast, and time management is more on your own to prepare for RLP at night losing a little sleep here and there etc, spending your freetime on the weekend productively, studying ahead of time, etc. But don't go in with the mindset that you might fail and I assure you that you won't, barring medical DQ stuff depending on your designator. Then it's over to you whether to DOR (with whatever that entails; I was BDCP and would have meant enlisting for 3 years), or redesignate.

Also it's not like BUDS where if you get injured they'll send you back to the fleet. You'd go into H class until you healed up, and if you couldn't heal up enough to proceed they wouldn't kick you back to the fleet as you'd be processed out.

My advice would also be to reenlist if you still want the OCS thing... Not sure how it works in your shoes if you separate etc, your CCC should be able to find out for you though I'd guess. Also, I'm pretty sure as an OCS select, they aren't about to PCS you anywhere regardless of how many times you've extended.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
BUPERSINST 1430.16G, page 2-9, paragraph 207. You can't take the advancement exam if you're selected for OCS. It looks like the only commissioning program that isn't eligible for advancement.

As far as reenlisting, I'd go ahead and do it. 99% sure any orders you execute to OCS will include a minimum enlisted commitment if you fail or quit, but I'm not positive. Be careful taking any bonuses though, as you'll have to pay a prorated amount back.
I stand corrected, but still think that's a garbage rule.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Makes sense to me. With the low advancement quotas, why waste one on someone who will not be serving in it?
Because they're not commissioned until they're commissioned. I get not letting sailors take the exam after OCS starts, but all sorts of things could happen to interfere with their accession (like with OP).

We promote officers all the time who can get out before serving a sea duty tour in their new rank. I've known quite a few LCDRs who bolted just months after promoting. Do you think we should require extended commitments before selecting O-4s/O-5s on statutory boards so as not to "waste" slots for the less competitive records?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Makes sense to me. With the low advancement quotas, why waste one on someone who will not be serving in it?
You’re right - if candidates are shipping to OCS quickly after being selected by the board. If they are waiting [insert long time] before they ship to OCS, that could be detrimental to them financially and professionally.

BT BT

For the OP, another option: you could decide not to re-enlist, and have a break in service, with all the pro’s and con’s that entails. If there is some fun activity/ road trip/ hobby you want to explore as a civilian before you start OCS, you could go do it. Once you are an officer with a career, a mortgage, kids, etc. those fun side activities become harder to find time for.

BrianTruix

Bupers stuff is correct in saying I cant test which makes sense. Im currently an AW so have had to do some pretty decent PT but was just wondering the "what if" something were to happen. Appreciate the help everyone!

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Officers have a lot more “quotas” than enlisted rates.
  1. We only get looked at once a year
  2. 2x FOS ain't a thing for enlisted (barring HYT). When someone can take a stab at advancement 12+ times, it really kills the advancement percentage.
  3. More how? We have zones, which makes our denominator smaller in the selection rate. Also, it's community/rating-dependent. When I was an ET, ETs promoted to PO2 at 5-7%, while OSs and MAs were ~100% through PO1. Choose your rate...well, you know the rest.