• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlist after INPQ at OCS?

TigerGSU

Hey guys,

I went to OCS summer of 2008 with an air contract but was INPQ'd for a dental problem. Is it possible to enlist now, or am I somehow banned from the .mil?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Internet slang for "the military", referencing the DOD generic top-level domain (gTLD) of ".mil".
I think Treetop Flyer knew that, just at the USE of slang that doesn't match the context of the question at hand.

TigerGSU

Just slang terminology. As to my question is it possible to still enlist? I've though about going back to school for a masters and doing ROTC also, but if that isn't an option, then I won't waste my time.

Is there a reason you couldn't reapply for OCS once the dental issue was cleared up? Because normally NPQs may reapply once they're healed up. I wouldn't think it should prevent you from enlisting if it was taken care of but only a recruiter could really give you that answer.

TigerGSU

Is there a reason you couldn't reapply for OCS once the dental issue was cleared up? Because normally NPQs may reapply once they're healed up. I wouldn't think it should prevent you from enlisting if it was taken care of but only a recruiter could really give you that answer.

I was free to go back to OCS, my return orders said I should reapply. But I had an air contract when I went to PLC-C which I wouldn't have for OCC.

If you're qualified to go back to OCS, then I don't think there would be any problems whatsoever to enlist provided the dental issue was taken care of. The question is, do you truly want to serve as an enlisted Marine? Or is becoming a Marine aviator still your ultimate goal? Make sure you're enlisting because you really want to be an enlisted Marine and live that lifestyle, because that could put off any future opportunities to become an officer by several years. If you desire to be an Officer or an Aviator, I would wait until they offer air contracts again through OCC.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Internet slang for "the military", referencing the DOD generic top-level domain (gTLD) of ".mil".

Looks like "Treetop Flyer" got schooled here...ouch!!!

Ohhhh.... .mil the gTLD, of course....

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I was free to go back to OCS, my return orders said I should reapply. But I had an air contract when I went to PLC-C which I wouldn't have for OCC.

So you are considering enlisting and going moving farther away from a chance to get an aviation billet? I don't get it. If being a Marine officer doesn't suit you, you could always apply for a pilot slot with another service.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Looks like "Treetop Flyer" got schooled here...ouch!!!

Ohhhh.... .mil the gTLD, of course....

I knew what he was trying to say, I just thought it sounded dumb. I never understood these kind of questions. If we all say "no you aren't qualified" is he really just going to give up? Likewise, if we say "you're fine, go for it" he is still going to have to get cleared by those who make those decisions.

gotta_fly

pilot
So you are considering enlisting and going moving farther away from a chance to get an aviation billet? I don't get it. If being a Marine officer doesn't suit you, you could always apply for a pilot slot with another service.

Yeah, maybe the af.mil is hiring.

TigerGSU

I was mainly considering going the Army Warrant route (my dad is a retired CW3 for what it's worth), or going back to school and doing Army ROTC (all my school has). Enlisting would just be a if all else fails recourse.

I know it's probably a pretty dumb question, I just got pretty jaded by what all I went through and am kind of at a loss now.

phrogpilot73

Do you want to be a Marine?

Do you want to be a pilot?

Which one can you answer without hesitation?

If you want to be a Marine first and foremost, and you can reapply to OCS - I would. Unless you absolutely, positively must be a Marine NOW (and I understand that sentiment, as I started as an enlisted Marine) - then I would go the officer route. It will be a LONG road from enlisted Marine to Officer, to pilot. You can shorten that road by just reapplying to OCS.

If you want to be a pilot first and foremost - I would apply to another service. Why? because I can only guess that you're probably getting pretty close to the age limits...