• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

End of Herndon?

sfrankie08

pilot
This happened every year I was there. Our year they suggested that only 2 companies of mids try to climb Herndon (no way..we all went up anyways). The next year they suggested to stop spraying the firehoses into the huge crowd of plebes thinking it was making the climb more dangerous. They stuck with this until halfway through Herndon when they realized they were having more "casualties" than previous years (heat casualties, it gets hot in that huge mess). My firstie year they suggested that Herndon be cancelled, then the leadership was talking about making them wear protection (helmets, pads), and not larding up Herndon. Every year, Herndon went on as "normal". The worst injury I've heard of from Herndon when I was there was a dislocated shoulder, followed by the heat casualties. I doubt this will fly..but..you never know I guess.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Not going to happen. Every tradition that leadership tried to squash at my alma mater just went 'underground,' with less controls or oversight...you can imagine the results.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hopefully this will die out with Adm Fowler retiring. Like Frankie said, they've been threatening this since I was a plebe, and probably well before that too. Worst I ever heard of was some bruises.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some things should stay the same...

1963:
Herndon0002.jpg

2004: (I think)
herndon20climb2.jpg

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
"Gheyer" than a bunch of sweaty men trying to climb up a greased-up phallic symbol?

Last time I observed Herndon, there were a bunch of sweaty women also trying to get atop that phallic symbol.

I've no dog in the fight either, but I love stirring the pot.:icon_smil:icon_smil

KBayDog

Last time I observed Herndon, there were a bunch of sweaty women also trying to get atop that phallic symbol.

I've no dog in the fight either, but I love stirring the pot.:icon_smil:icon_smil

"It's called playing the percentages. It's what smart managers do to win ballgames."
-Montgomery Burns

Whatever floats your boat, Master Chief ;)

Ace_Austin

pilot
Seems like the Class of '69 had a plan. 00:01:30
Did they not lard it up that year or did that class have it all in one sock?

exhelodrvr

pilot
Our year, they cut the cap into four pieces and super-glued it to the top. WE actually would have had it down in 15 minutes; ended up taking 2 + hours. (I say "we" as if I actually helped.)