• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EMFP and AVIATION CAREER

I am currently a student in Meridian who’s wife is going through medical issues - and will be applying for the EMFA(not by choice).

Is this going to greatly affect my career once I hit the fleet squadron? I would like to make the military a career. The only benefits I can see coming from this is that I get to go to Norfolk FRS straight out of the jet pipeline - but I wanted to get advice from others.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
It won’t limit your career, it’ll just limit your bases. If your wife gets the care she needs in the Norfolk area you’d likely bounce around squadrons there as each set of PCS orders end. Staying in one area like that isn’t a negative mark on your record.

The only time EFMP could affect what you wanted to do is if you tried to get into some random job to a smaller base or a more remote location. The Navy has a responsibility to provide your wife adequate care and they won’t let you move to a place where she can’t receive that care.

It won’t limit your career, it’ll just limit your bases. If your wife gets the care she needs in the Norfolk area you’d likely bounce around squadrons there as each set of PCS orders end. Staying in one area like that isn’t a negative mark on your record.

The only time EFMP could affect what you wanted to do is if you tried to get into some random job to a smaller base or a more remote location. The Navy has a responsibility to provide your wife adequate care and they won’t let you move to a place where she can’t receive that care.
Yeah that’s what I’m hoping - just curious how it may affect shore tours - luckily most navy bases minus Top Gun is near medical facilities. I just worry since I hear everyone talking about how it’s terrible for your career

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It’s not necessarily. There are COs that have EFMs. Just for the love of god and all that is holy be honest about what your family needs. I’m overseas right now and routinely people get sent back early because they played down their needs and then got out here and discovered that they couldn’t get adequate care.