• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eliminate AF? NYT Op-Ed

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
The initial stages of OEF should have answered that question to your full satisfaction. So should the northern part of OIF I.

OK, let's get real here for a second. Strategic bombing? Yes, no doubt we couldn't do it without them. OCA? Yup, F-15Cs and F-22s are the experts there. DCA, AI... depends on the situation, but those are things we're pretty good at most of the time. CAS? Don't make me laugh. The A-10s and mayyybe the occasional F-16CG squadron, but otherwise you want the Marines and Navy six days a week and twice on Sundays.

What the USAF really does well is strategic bombing, strategic airlift, tanking, and first-week of war OCA/AI. Following a trend here??

Ok, I got some of that, but as a total newb, I'm lost on what DCA and AI (air intercept?) are. Could anyone offer any insight?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
OK, let's get real here for a second. Strategic bombing? Yes, no doubt we couldn't do it without them. OCA? Yup, F-15Cs and F-22s are the experts there. DCA, AI... depends on the situation, but those are things we're pretty good at most of the time. CAS? Don't make me laugh. The A-10s and mayyybe the occasional F-16CG squadron, but otherwise you want the Marines and Navy six days a week and twice on Sundays.
Not that I agree with the article, but a lot of people are missing the author's point on this one. He is not advocating disbanding the AF's assets altogether; rather, he is suggesting that the AF should be rolled into other services, like Army Aviation. So we'd still have all the above toys regardless.

Lawman

None
They act like it would really be any cheaper to simply move money from one hand to the other. If anything having the services divided the way we do insures that the leadership has a better focus on the interests and doctrine of that service. Think about it, how much robbing Peter to pay Paul would you see if the AF suddenly went away and all of Air Combat Command and Air Mobility were suddenly folded into the Army. Now we have Tank and Infantry Generals making decisions they have no experiance with. The Navy guys would have better experience with this than anyone else. Look at how the funding and emphasis shifts depended on whether the CNO is an Aviator or a Shoe. Hell the Army hasnt even thought of Aviation as its own Branch for very long, god help us suddenly getting the AF mission too.

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
I can't even buy pants at a normal store.. Unless I want "ManPris"

Even in the "Relaxed Fit" IF I can get pants in my size (36x36) they assume if you have a long inseam you have chicken legs.

I make it through half................of your sentences before I'm drawn back to the left by the gravity of Puma's huge cans.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I always wondering who the hell that Lance Corporal is who is sitting behind her. We need to track him down and give him his luckiest boy in America medal.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I guess I'm the only one who actually looks at her face...which makes me wanna slap it.

I get there eventually. Its sort of like bumper bowling as a kid. Bounce around the bags for a while and then eventually try to hit something hard enough to knock it down

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I always wondering who the hell that Lance Corporal is who is sitting behind her. We need to track him down and give him his luckiest boy in America medal.

Ok, so I never took the time to notice the LC beside her....I was too distracted by something else. Makes me curious, do you regularly order barrels of loafer lightener? :icon_tong