• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Electronic NATOPs jacket, how to access after you're out?

qaz123

Hi, former aviator, I've been out for 5+ years, I'm trying to get my commercial license via MCN Military Competency and need my old records. My hard copy NATOPs jacket is in storage on other side of the country, won't be back for a long time ?‍♂️... would my records be available somewhere scanned this long out, and if so any gouge on getting access? thanks!

OscarMyers

None
Hi, former aviator, I've been out for 5+ years, I'm trying to get my commercial license via MCN Military Competency and need my old records. My hard copy NATOPs jacket is in storage on other side of the country, won't be back for a long time ?‍♂️... would my records be available somewhere scanned this long out, and if so any gouge on getting access? thanks!
Electronic NATOPS jacket? What do you think this is... the 2020s? Former NATOPS officer at the E-2 RAG and we never scanned NATOPS paperwork into any system.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I think you have to fax a request to NATOPS HQ. Be prepared to give them your last NIPR password before you got out though, or they won't play ball.

qaz123

Electronic NATOPS jacket? What do you think this is... the 2020s? Former NATOPS officer at the E-2 RAG and we never scanned NATOPS paperwork into any system.
lol, that's what i was afraid of... wishful thinking on my part. hope that storage shed doesn't burn down next fire season

Treetop Flyer

pilot
lol, that's what i was afraid of... wishful thinking on my part. hope that storage shed doesn't burn down next fire season
If you have your logbooks I’d call around and try. Quite a bit of variation from one FSDO to another. I got a commercial by showing T-45 time in my logbook

Calflyer

Going through the same thing now. Quite a bit of variation by FSDo. I got Commercial Multi Instrument but nothing for single engine. Didn’t realize it until many years later. I’m trying to fight the fight now.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Your Navy logbook and your letter of designation as a Naval Aviator should suffice. Really depends on the FSDO and the particular Aviation Safety Inspector - find one with a .mil background. Do you have your ATJ? Lots of supporting docs there too.

It's a word to the wise, to take the opportunity to do the Mil Comp the week of your winging, with the inevitable class and test session that gets offered.

NI/ANI/ICP, IP from CNATRA, or FRS IP ? You are entitled to CFI/CFII for the category and class of the aircraft as well. If you are a helo IP, getting your airplane category flight instructor ratings are simple add on's.

Your spin training in the T-6 satisfies the FAA requirement of experience. Simply print out the MCG and FTI pages and show the flights on your logbook.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Going through the same thing now. Quite a bit of variation by FSDo. I got Commercial Multi Instrument but nothing for single engine. Didn’t realize it until many years later. I’m trying to fight the fight now.
The flight training summary page from your ATJ and your Naval Aviator Designation letter should suffice for adding your COMM ASEL. Find a mil friendly or a former mil Aviation Safety Inspector at a FSDO. Any FSDO - does not have to be in your region. You are absolutely *entitled* to the rating assuming you have already completed the MCN knowledge test with a passing grade.

bunny_0329

Woppin'
pilot
Anyone deal with testing centers/FSDOs in the Jacksonville, FL area that will waive the fees for testing and filing? Ready to take mine now but my PCS was 9 days after winging--the MCN wasn't top priority at the time, unfortunately.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Anyone deal with testing centers/FSDOs in the Jacksonville, FL area that will waive the fees for testing and filing? Ready to take mine now but my PCS was 9 days after winging--the MCN wasn't top priority at the time, unfortunately.

The Orlando FSDO is your nearest option and they are zero help with in-person service. They'll send you to a DPE, even when you're just trying to submit paperwork. And yup, you get to pay the DPE for his time, too.

I went to A-Cent Aviation at Herlong to take my CFI test. I don't know of anyone who will waive the fee. Even in Pensacola, you still had to pay a fee, it was just a group study session before the test when I did it many years ago at Coastal.

I think A-Cent has access to all of the tests, but I'd call first. It's a busy flight school, so there's some controlled chaos in there, but the owner was nice enough and answered my questions when I was trying to confirm what they had available and getting in there without any notice (on a weekday, at least).

bunny_0329

Woppin'
pilot
The Orlando FSDO is your nearest option and they are zero help with in-person service. They'll send you to a DPE, even when you're just trying to submit paperwork. And yup, you get to pay the DPE for his time, too.

I went to A-Cent Aviation at Herlong to take my CFI test. I don't know of anyone who will waive the fee. Even in Pensacola, you still had to pay a fee, it was just a group study session before the test when I did it many years ago at Coastal.

I think A-Cent has access to all of the tests, but I'd call first. It's a busy flight school, so there's some controlled chaos in there, but the owner was nice enough and answered my questions when I was trying to confirm what they had available and getting in there without any notice (on a weekday, at least).
Thanks for the info! I think Pensacola has some free options now, shame I didn’t take advantage of it. We got an info packet when I left TW5, Hurlburt testing center would waive the testing fee and there was an FAA liaison/former sim instructor on the base in Whiting that would process your paperwork for free.

I did get the Sheppard Air gouge though so I’ll study up and deal with the fees after I take the test I guess.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks for the info! I think Pensacola has some free options now, shame I didn’t take advantage of it. We got an info packet when I left TW5, Hurlburt testing center would waive the testing fee and there was an FAA liaison/former sim instructor on the base in Whiting that would process your paperwork for free.

I didn't even think about base testing resources, probably because I've never heard of such a thing on a Navy base. That's awesome they have that so close to Whiting.