• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Elective Surgery

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
I am considering having Sinus Surgery to correct a deviated septum and do FESS within the next few months but the timing of the whole thing is not exactly great as I am waiting on service selection and should be graduating in May.

The only real reason I am concerned about the is that I have already done my flight physical through NOMI/NAMI and received all my waivers back from them and BUMED with approval. According to the LT here who handles all Medical issues and physicals I should just go ahead and have the surgery at my earliest convenience and tell them if I get selected when I do my short form down there pre-API. This doesn't exactly sound like the best course of action to me as in the waiver guide it says you need a waiver for this. Mainly I don't want to screw everything up as I told NAMI that I get an occasional Sinus Infection from seasonal allergies and they checked it out and said nothing was out of the ordinary.

Just curious if anyone out there has any info or advice on this situation. And if anyone has had this kind of surgery I would be interested in what the recovery time frame was for you. I have done a search on the subject but I have yet to find someone who had this after they were done with their medical paperwork. Thanks in advance for any help.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Ok, so I've never been in the boat you are right now but from what you're saying it may be wiser to wait until you get to Pensacola before having the surgery. If you have the waivers right now, you should be good. However, having a surgery, even one to correct whatever you have the waiver for, without the flight docs knowing about it before hand may reset the whole waiver process you and could have to go through it again.

I have to admit the first thing I thought when I saw the subject line was breast implants. Not sure if you can get a waiver for those either, so you may want to wait and talk to the flight doc about that one too :)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I strongly recommend you resist the urge to screw things up. Wait, let USN pay for your surgery and let them bless it. Your life will go much, much easier.

MasterBates

I have to admit the first thing I thought when I saw the subject line was breast implants. Not sure if you can get a waiver for those either, so you may want to wait and talk to the flight doc about that one too :)

I know at least 5 female pilots who got "upgrades". They are all still flying in every community. I wonder what G's do to the bags long term?