• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

El Toro

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
the question was asked on one of the marine aviation forums if anybody knew what was left of MCAS El Toro.
typical of marine logic , the best answer was,
"The Pacific Ocean."

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
same thing is happening with the old grumman base at calverton, which was navy owned.
the navy gave it to the town of riverhead,ny.
still a cluster fook.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
Sad...lots and lots of Navy aircraft "developmental history" there.
Maybe they'll turn it into a "Peace and Understanding of the Muslim World" commemorative park....with a reflection pool.

there is a memorial park there with tomcat#320 and an a-6. my logbook shows a pre-delivery flight in that tomcat in 1979.
when i took my 6 year old grandson there and told him i had time in that airplane, the little wise ass said,
"gee, grandpaw, when you croak, maybe we could have you stuffed and put back in the cockpit."

http://longisland.about.com/od/landmarksattractions/ss/grummanpark.htm

MPH

Oh- Do you mean the endless development debate of Orange County? The most recent concept is to create a 1100 acre "park". What a fiasco. The master plan has changed and failed numerous times since the base closure. A classic example of too may political chefs in the kitchen.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/city-371212-park-haddad.html

But look, a BALLOON.

gp-ballon.jpg

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
I had a college friend who worked as an engineer for the developer of the "Great" Park for a year until he decided to move PB. His reasoning was mostly centered around incomptence of his coworkers and average age ~55 with no desire to learn anything new and resistance to any ideas proposed by the young guy. He was astounded by the pure lack of work to be done and number of people sitting on their hands all day. Sounded like a good gig to my lazy Political Science degree ass but not to his overeager Engineer self.

Also, I remember when there was the huge debate between housing, Great Park or kickass international airport, the anti airport crowd put out a bunch of ads claiming the runways were too dangerous for commercial use. However, I still thorougjy enjoy the ease of use of my local airport (KSNA) which probably wouldn't be around if El Toro was converted into major intl airport.

Finally, that balloon sucks. So does the pathetic farmer's market.