• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EDO Program

Gizmo85

Hello All,

So currently I'm an Electronics Technician 2nd Class in the Naval Reserves.
Full-time I'm a Senior Electronics Intelligence Systems Engineer for Lockheed.
I have a BS in Business Administration, an AS in Avionics Systems Technology and a Professional Certification from MIT in Model Base System Engineering.

I have over ten years of Military experience and been with Lockheed over two years now.
I'm looking into a graduate program in Systems Engineering this for this Spring.
I've been Looking into the EDO program and wanted to see if I had a shot.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Hello All,

I have a BS in Business Administration, an AS in Avionics Systems Technology and a Professional Certification from MIT in Model Base System Engineering.

I have over ten years of Military experience and been with Lockheed over two years now.
I'm looking into a graduate program in Systems Engineering this for this Spring.

I would say you are a compelling prospect but you need you a technical Masters Degree first. Here's the official recruiting pamphlet. The thing that is going to hurt you is your Bachelors since it isn't in a technical field. That means you are going to need to really sell the rest of your skills and knock it our of the park with your Masters degree. I'm not sure what you do for a living, but you may need to translate that proof of your technical prowess. I would poke around the BUPERS website to find a recruiter and as much gouge as you can while you work on your degree: https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Caree...ficer/Reserve-OCM/Selected-Reservists/RC-EDO/

Attachments

• RC EDO Recruiting Brochure_2019.pdf
    923.5 KB · Views: 25

exNavyOffRec

I would say you are a compelling prospect but you need you a technical Masters Degree first. Here's the official recruiting pamphlet. The thing that is going to hurt you is your Bachelors since it isn't in a technical field. That means you are going to need to really sell the rest of your skills and knock it our of the park with your Masters degree. I'm not sure what you do for a living, but you may need to translate that proof of your technical prowess. I would poke around the BUPERS website to find a recruiter and as much gouge as you can while you work on your degree: https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Caree...ficer/Reserve-OCM/Selected-Reservists/RC-EDO/
The PA says "must" when it comes to the tech degree, and it has to be an approved field. It is rare when a PA says "must".

Gizmo85

Thank you for the feedback,

Civilian wise I run the Electronics Intelligence (Electronic Warfare) Department for Lockheed Martin as a Senior Engineer for an aircraft program. I have over 13 years working with 5th gen electronics. Both military and civilian.

I would assume being a Senior Engineer would help a bit.

Thanks again for the feedback

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello All,

Read the program authorization, you’re probably not eligible due to the education part.

Gizmo85

Thank you,

Yes I've went over the reequipment of a BS Technical degree prior to getting a MS in a Technical study area. I would of thought my current career position,, work at MIT and getting into a graduate program for Engineering would of helped. Along with having prior service experience and able to get strong recommendations. Trust me, I don't want to waste anyone's time.

I just don't know what other community would pick me up with the experience I have.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Yes I've went over the reequipment of a BS Technical degree prior to getting a MS in a Technical study area. I would of thought my current career position,, work at MIT and getting into a graduate program for Engineering would of helped. Along with having prior service experience and able to get strong recommendations. Trust me, I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Not trying to kick your stool underneath you but for perspective my EDO select a few years ago was prior enlisted (QM type) and in a dual MS eng / PHD physics program. Worked with semi conductors and all.

Gizmo85

Not trying to kick your stool underneath you but for perspective my EDO select a few years ago was prior enlisted (QM type) and in a dual MS eng / PHD physics program. Worked with semi conductors and all.
I completely understand where your coming from. I've work with semi conductors as well. Also redesigned whole integrated electronic warfare suites for the DoD. When I spoke with a few EDOs, they couldn't believe the level of experience I had even without the BS in engineering. I've trained junior engineers on architecture design. I've work advanced 5th gene avionics and shipboard electronics. Getting into a MS Engineering program won't be hard with all the background and job experience I curranty have. I believe the cut off age for EDO is 42 for non-prior service. The only hold up is getting the BS in Engineering. Once again I truly appreciate the honest feedback.

FormerRecruitingGuru

I completely understand where your coming from. I've work with semi conductors as well. Also redesigned whole integrated electronic warfare suites for the DoD. When I spoke with a few EDOs, they couldn't believe the level of experience I had even without the BS in engineering. I've trained junior engineers on architecture design. I've work advanced 5th gene avionics and shipboard electronics. Getting into a MS Engineering program won't be hard with all the background and job experience I curranty have. I believe the cut off age for EDO is 42 for non-prior service. The only hold up is getting the BS in Engineering. Once again I truly appreciate the honest feedback.

You might be able to find a direct MS program… I would pursue that as not only would you be eligible but you would have a masters degree.

Just make sure whatever program you do is accredited and all.

Gizmo85

You might be able to find a direct MS program… I would pursue that as not only would you be eligible but you would have a masters degree.

Just make sure whatever program you do is accredited and all.
Yes Sir, thank you once again for the help. So question, besides the EDO program. What other programs would you see most fit with my experience and current education?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

While the program authorization is strict, the EDO community is always looking to snatch up unique skillsets. I've got a few colleagues who didn't quite meet the education or experience (On the AD side) requirements but had a lot of technical knowledge or skills and the OCM and Accessions team interpreted the regulations very creatively to make it work. The big thing is going to be a technical masters. That seems to be a showstopper all the way around. I've even seen them reject Masters of Engineering degrees before so your comments on making sure it's a top notch, accredited, Masters of Science program are spot on.

This is where you are really going to need to sell yourself to the recruiter and probably will need to contact the OCM to get them onboard with you. The biggest pre-requisite is going to be you having your Masters diploma in hand before you apply. What field within the EDO community would you like to support? Would you want to remain within the information warfare realm?

Also be advised that once you commission, you will have 24 months to get qualified as an EDO. That will place time commitments on you to go to certain schools, meet outside of drill times, and take more than the typical two weeks of ADT time annually for that 24 months.

Gizmo85

While the program authorization is strict, the EDO community is always looking to snatch up unique skillsets. I've got a few colleagues who didn't quite meet the education or experience (On the AD side) requirements but had a lot of technical knowledge or skills and the OCM and Accessions team interpreted the regulations very creatively to make it work. The big thing is going to be a technical masters. That seems to be a showstopper all the way around. I've even seen them reject Masters of Engineering degrees before so your comments on making sure it's a top notch, accredited, Masters of Science program are spot on.

This is where you are really going to need to sell yourself to the recruiter and probably will need to contact the OCM to get them onboard with you. The biggest pre-requisite is going to be you having your Masters diploma in hand before you apply. What field within the EDO community would you like to support? Would you want to remain within the information warfare realm?

Also be advised that once you commission, you will have 24 months to get qualified as an EDO. That will place time commitments on you to go to certain schools, meet outside of drill times, and take more than the typical two weeks of ADT time annually for that 24 months.

Gizmo85

I don't know all the fields to be honest, I know your either working within the aviation field or shipyard. I've seen they have EDO (Submarine) support. I have far more experience in aeronautics. I've work in a wide range of aeronautics from Structure design, Software design and heavy in Electronic Warfare. I've been pulled to work on data link systems, environmental systems....etc. This is what help get my current position as a Senior Engineer. I wouldn't mind going the Sub route if possible.

Gizmo85

I also have a good amounts of awards displaying the major impacts I've made on both the Civilian and Military sector. Currently I'm leading a STEM program for a local high school. As well earned a Commendation Medal for solving a complex electronic integration problem that saved over 150k in the need of replacing a major avionics subsystem.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I don't know all the fields to be honest, I know your either working within the aviation field or shipyard. I've seen they have EDO (Submarine) support. I have far more experience in aeronautics. I've work in a wide range of aeronautics from Structure design, Software design and heavy in Electronic Warfare. I've been pulled to work on data link systems, environmental systems....etc. This is what help get my current position as a Senior Engineer. I wouldn't mind going the Sub route if possible.

There are 3 types of engineering professionals in the Navy: AEDOs which support aviation, EDOs which support surface and submarines, and CEC (Civil Engineering Corps) which perform facilities and shore engineering (They're the SeaBees). If you want to be in Aviation, then you need to look into becoming an AEDO. https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Caree...icer/Reserve-OCM/Selected-Reservists/RC-AEDO/

I also have a good amounts of awards displaying the major impacts I've made on both the Civilian and Military sector. Currently I'm leading a STEM program for a local high school. As well earned a Commendation Medal for solving a complex electronic integration problem that saved over 150k in the need of replacing a major avionics subsystem.

I would say what you've been able to do in your corporate life is more important. Being able to show off technical design and management skills are what's most important. You need to overcome the business degree. This is still a moot point until you have an MS in hand.