• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EDO (Engineering Duty Officer) Option

papacarter

College Student
Not really much about Engineering Duty Officers (EDO) here on Air Warriors. I read online that EDOs are forced to get a Master's from either NPS or MIT, but also read that EDOs require SWO training and 24 months minimum at sea. Anyone can give any gouge on this?

BigRed389

None
Not really much about Engineering Duty Officers (EDO) here on Air Warriors. I read online that EDOs are forced to get a Master's from either NPS or MIT, but also read that EDOs require SWO training and 24 months minimum at sea. Anyone can give any gouge on this?

EDO's are one of the smallest communities in the Navy, it's a support community.

Read this for details:
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-...orps/engineering/Pages/CareerInformation.aspx

Yes, you have to get a technical Master's, and your only 2 options will be NPS or MIT. It's because there are some Navy-specific engineering courses that will get thrown into your curriculum...which is how you end up with way more credits than a normal M.S. degree would require.

If you go SWO-EDO Option, you are expected to complete 2 sea tours as a SWO. That'll usually put you at closer to 48 months of sea time.

SharkBait

The EDO option on my ship did the normal two tours, then EDO as stated. I also work for an O-5 EDO right now, overall a pretty good community of people but its all about fixing ships.

azguy

None
You'll be URL while you are a SWO (1-2 tours from what I've seen); then you'll automatically lateral transfer to EDO and you'll be in the RL. Don't get too wrapped up about URL vs RL as an EDO.

psyengr

Good morning! BS/MS/PHD in EE with 15 e
Years in defense industry. I’m very interested in USN EDO reserves. Can anyone explain what the process is? Do you have to go to DCO/ODS before submitting credentials to EDO board? My recruiter is very slow to respond and I’m eager to learn about all this.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Good morning! BS/MS/PHD in EE with 15 e
Years in defense industry. I’m very interested in USN EDO reserves. Can anyone explain what the process is? Do you have to go to DCO/ODS before submitting credentials to EDO board? My recruiter is very slow to respond and I’m eager to learn about all this.
SWO-EDO option is for active duty officers to first qualify as a SWO, then transfer to EDO at LTJG or LT. What you want is EDO as a direct commission officer, or DCO. You won’t spend any time as a SWO. You will be in EDO training for your first few years in the reserves. Search the forums and talk to a reserve EDO.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
SWO-EDO option is for active duty officers to first qualify as a SWO, then transfer to EDO at LTJG or LT. What you want is EDO as a direct commission officer, or DCO. You won’t spend any time as a SWO. You will be in EDO training for your first few years in the reserves. Search the forums and talk to a reserve EDO.

So for SWO-EDO, they actually complete their two SWO tours and then re-des to EDO. I thought it was like another other SWO-option program but this one is a bit different.

Also for the OP/you, an active duty direct accession EDO option will be coming out soon. The qualifications are pretty high but you end up commissioning as a LT.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Also for the OP/you, an active duty direct accession EDO option will be coming out soon. The qualifications are pretty high but you end up commissioning as a LT.

Do you know why and are you able to share why this is being introduced?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Do you know why and are you able to share why this is being introduced?

Here’s a good start:

Smithme57

Is there is a significant difference in work between being a SWO in Engineering and being an EDO? I'm guessing an EDO has more technical related work but my recruiter couldn't tell me.

BigRed389

None
Is there is a significant difference in work between being a SWO in Engineering and being an EDO? I'm guessing an EDO has more technical related work but my recruiter couldn't tell me.

Huge difference.

A SWO in Engineering Department of a ship is still a SWO. You are part of ship's crew, and you oversee your crew's operation and maintenance of the equipment.

As an EDO you are expected to provide technical leadership for "Lifecycle Engineering" of all shipboard systems. That spans everything from initial R&D to deliver a new system to managing repairs in a shipyard. It's why an EDO is required to have a technical (Engineering/Science) degree, and a SWO in Engineering can be an English major. With very, very few exceptions, you will not be part of ship's crew in those roles, and eventually things like budgets and contracting become a relevant part of your life.

yan16

Hi! Does anyone know the board schedule for SWO-EDO Option for FY 21 and 22? I checked the Navy HR site but it is outdated. Thank you.

exNavyOffRec

Hi! Does anyone know the board schedule for SWO-EDO Option for FY 21 and 22? I checked the Navy HR site but it is outdated. Thank you.

The board was held in Feb, EDO/SWO-EDO generally have just one board per year, there was an updated board schedule posted on this site in the past week or two that may have the next board, probably a due date of Jan 2022 and board in Feb 2022