• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eczema Waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastLap47

Hello All,
I want to know the chances of me getting a waiver for eczema to get into Navy OCS. Here's my situation:

I've had eczema for as long as I can remember. However during 1992-1997 there was a period of remission where my skin was totally clear. During a trip to Philippines, I repeatedly took showers in water that was unsafe for drinking. Combine that with some scratching and I get the problem again. From 1998-2004 I saw about 4 different doctors and dermatologists, each with different techniques about treating my eczema. During 2003-2004 I switched over to a Navy dermatologist (I'm a dependent) that also had trouble figuring out how to treat my eczema. During my time with him he entered into my records diagnosis from "severe eczema" to "marked eczema." He also noted that I wasn't goal oriented toward controlling my eczema. However, after months of seeing him he finally takes a skin culture test and discovers that I've been resistant all along to the antibiotics I've been treated with. He then switched my medications to a topical steroid and during my last visit in January 04 says that I'm okay. From then on my treatment only consists of vaseline.

I've already passed an FAA flight physical without the need for waivers or second guesses. I've also been involved in football and basketball and been to hot and humid environments such as San Antonio during the summer. My dad also spent a while in the Navy and most likely had a small pox vaccination. My former family doctor also said that I may have had a small pox vaccine when I was young. So far it hasn't aggravated my condition.

Sorry for the long entry but I think this would help people figure out whether I could get a waiver based on my circumstances.

Thanks

bulldozer3

pilot
i had ezema as a child and had to go through all the wavers, and it was and still is a pain in the ***. But you have to keep at it, dont take no for an answer, and just doctor shop till you get the right answer. just make sure you get it so its not visable, and make sure you have the doctor write down, "will not affect duties/job and pilot capabilites".. something like that. I got the wavier and am starting API tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.