• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eczema DQ Question

sbudnik1

pilot
Hey All,
I initially applied for Army OCS a year ago, when I was in my senior year of college. I went through most of the process including getting medically evaluated and so on, but discovered that PRK surgery was waiverable for the aviation pipeline for both the Marines and Navy. I withdrew my application at that point and received PRK the following summer after graduation. That turned out great I’m now 20/15 in both eyes. The problem is, is that I had childhood eczema until my mid teens and then it went away for whatever reason and I haven't had an issue since. The Army approved the necessary waiver based on my medical history which I provided them, and a report from my current general practitioner of the last five years. All was good at MEPS and I was deemed Physically Qualified.
However, I I hit a snafu when applying through the Marines and Navy for OCS. Because I had already been through MEPS, I merely signed my records with the attached medical history and doctor’s letter over to the Marines and they sent it up to BUMED where I was PDQ’d. The final word came back yesterday. When I first heard about the PDQ, I got another letter from my GP and made an appointment with a dermatologist who also wrote a letter stating I have no eczema and that it would have no impact on my military service. I know its also waiverable in the NOMI guide under atopic dermatitis. Are there any issues with just filling out a new DD-680 and DD-270 and attaching the new updated records and applying through the Navy, or am I to put it in salty terms SOL due to BUMED.
Thanks for your help and I apologize for the wordiness, but its slightly complicated

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Hey All,
I initially applied for Army OCS a year ago, when I was in my senior year of college. I went through most of the process including getting medically evaluated and so on, but discovered that PRK surgery was waiverable for the aviation pipeline for both the Marines and Navy. I withdrew my application at that point and received PRK the following summer after graduation. That turned out great I’m now 20/15 in both eyes. The problem is, is that I had childhood eczema until my mid teens and then it went away for whatever reason and I haven't had an issue since. The Army approved the necessary waiver based on my medical history which I provided them, and a report from my current general practitioner of the last five years. All was good at MEPS and I was deemed Physically Qualified.
However, I I hit a snafu when applying through the Marines and Navy for OCS. Because I had already been through MEPS, I merely signed my records with the attached medical history and doctor’s letter over to the Marines and they sent it up to BUMED where I was PDQ’d. The final word came back yesterday. When I first heard about the PDQ, I got another letter from my GP and made an appointment with a dermatologist who also wrote a letter stating I have no eczema and that it would have no impact on my military service. I know its also waiverable in the NOMI guide under atopic dermatitis. Are there any issues with just filling out a new DD-680 and DD-270 and attaching the new updated records and applying through the Navy, or am I to put it in salty terms SOL due to BUMED.
Thanks for your help and I apologize for the wordiness, but its slightly complicated

If I were in your position, I would call the 'Physical Standards' folks listed at the bottom of the Waiver Guide. The WG is a sticky at the top of this forum. They can provide some pretty good gouge, especially WRT waiver issues; the waiver should go through them.

Is there any chance you can scan the letter (delete the ID stuff) and either post it or PM it to me?

sbudnik1

pilot
Feddoc thanks for the reply and advice about calling the folks at Physical Standards. I'll obtain the letter of DQ from my OSO. He notified me about it over e-mail so I'll give him a call, pick it up from him,scan it and then send it to you in a pm. Thanks for the help again

ANGWife?

Eczema DQ??

My husband has a similar issue with eczema. He had eczema as a teen, but hasn't had a breakout for 8 years. He went through MEPS for ANG, and he was DQd. He already had a waiver prepared that his recruiter had gotten for him before MEPS, and it has been sent to the surgeon general of the air force for approval or denial. Now, it's a waiting game, and he is very worried. My question is, does he have the same chances as the previous poster? He is a sophomore in college, and scored very well on the ASVAB, does that help him? One of the doctors at MEPS didn't think he would have any issues, the other doctor was not so convinced. This is his dream, and I don't want something small like this stop him. Any insights?

ANGWife?

My husband has a similar issue with eczema. He had eczema as a teen, but hasn't had a breakout for 8 years. He went through MEPS for ANG, and he was DQd. He already had a waiver prepared that his recruiter had gotten for him before MEPS, and it has been sent to the surgeon general of the air force for approval or denial. Now, it's a waiting game, and he is very worried. My question is, does he have the same chances as the previous poster? He is a sophomore in college, and scored very well on the ASVAB, does that help him? One of the doctors at MEPS didn't think he would have any issues, the other doctor was not so convinced. This is his dream, and I don't want something small like this stop him. Any insights?​

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I'm currently on waiver for eczema. They thought I had it at school and otherwise had no problems with it. I show up to the NAMI whammy and find out it's a disqualifying condition that I can get a waiver for. Finally get the waiver after four months on the condition that it doesn't return. They took care of the entire waiver process so all I had to do was wait in Pensacola for four months, which wasn't too bad considering how I didn't even have a stash job.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
They're afraid it could flare up because of flight gloves and cause irritation and impact your ability to fly.

sbudnik1

pilot
Wow surprised that this thread greeted me on the whats new section. Update as to my situation, I'm waiting to hear from the March SNA boards, and when my recruiter and I find out the results, he is going to push my medical paperwork through. Hopefully a waiver will be granted. Hopefully your Husband's waiver will be good to go. Good luck with all of that. the process truly is one of hurry up and wait for the medical determination.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I waited four months to finally get a waiver, so heads up it might take awhile. Just make sure you stay on top of it and check in every once in awhile to see how it's moving along.

ANGWife?

I hope it doesn't take four months! His recruiter made it sound as though it would only be 2 or 3 weeks, so I hope its sooner rather than later. The wait is stressful. I appreciate the advice!