• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ECMO's Vs. RIO's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phiman

Well I'm exploring my options as a hopeful NFO (I don't really know all that much about them) and I was wondering what the main differences are, pro's and con's and what not between ECMO's and RIO's. Also how difficult is it to pick up the airframe you wan't (For example Prowlers as an ECMO or F18s as a RIO) Basically trying to get a feel for what each of them are like, or are they essentially the same? Thanks.

SNA Russell

Phiman,

I don't know much about the platform selection process for NFOs. If it's similar to the process for Pilots, then the majority of it depends on the "needs of the Navy". Good luck with that aspect.

The F/A-18 doesn't have RIOs. The two-seat models are trainers only. The F-14 is a two-seater, but the Navy is phasing those out.

-Rory

pdt1702

Actually, there are two versions of the new F/A-18 Super Hornet, the E and the F. The E is a single seat and the F is a two-seater.

Phiman

I'm pretty sure that as the Navy phases out the F14's that they'll start phasing in the F18F's which have RIO's to take their place. Or so the Lt. in the NROTC unit told me.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Both VF-14 and VF-41 have switched to Super Hornets. VFA-14 flies the E's and VFA-41 the F's. The two seat model is not simply a trainer. I do not know what the lastest numbers are, but at one point there was talk about making the F's equal to the number of E's. Also, on a Hornet the NFO is a Weapons System Officer (WSO, or Wizzo). Do the S-3's still use Cotac's and Tacco's? Then there are always the Tube Slugs (you can be on a P-3 or an E-2C!)

SNA Russell

Matt,

I agree with you regarding the possible transition problems for Hornet drivers who will be assigned to ride with a NFO.

If I'm lucky enough to get Hornets, I will definitely want the single seat version.

-Rory

Status
Not open for further replies.