• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Easy API Questions

p_crabb13

Final Select SNA
Well, I am almost finished with OCS here in beautiful Newport, RI. I will be reporting to NASP here on 21 APR, and am in need of some advice. I understand that I have to complete IFS and then API.

Currently, my plan (post reporting to NASP) is to request OHARP, my recruiter in Arkansas said that he would like to have me come help. For the month of May, I have 2 commissioning ceremonies to attend, along with a wedding of which I'm the best man. Does anyone see any scheduling conflicts the Navy may have with these current plans? I understand that my needs come second, but I would like to have a general idea of any hiccups that typically occur.

Also, what should I do about housing since I am planning to do OHARP ASAP? Should I go ahead and sign a lease, or wait it out?

I appreciate anyones input on the matter. Have a good one!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Which of those were API questions?

If you're reporting in April, you're probably going to be sitting in A Pool for a good long while before you start API. If you're stashed doing OHARP, it's up to your boss there whether you can take leave.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Check-in BS takes 1-2 weeks. It may take another week or two to get your special request chit for OHARP around the schoolhouse. They may not let you go anywhere before you are IFS and BOLTC/DIVOLC/whatevertheycallitnow complete. Not trying to dash your hopes and dreams, but if you always expect the worst you'll never be disappointed.

JonDW7

I really doubt it will be a problem. I am checking in Friday, and have been told that it is a 20 week wait for API. Due to this, I will be doing the check-in, NAMI, and BOLTC, and then am going TAD back to my ROTC unit. I am in a similiar situation, with 3 weddings, and a commissioning ceremony, so they will work with you.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It seemed like it was a little tougher to do anything like OHARP while you were in A-pool, than it was waiting to class for primary or (especially) advanced. For most people in A-pool, save the folks with med or other issues, you are kind of on continuous standby to class for IFS or API. Things can and do change on a very short basis, so my impression was that they generally wanted you around "in case". If this has changed, then you may be in luck. Either way, I wouldn't make your plans to definite until you at least check in and talk to stucon/flight management. My money is on them wanting you to stick around, maybe even do a stash job instead. A word of advice though....when checking into a new command and entering a pool status, your stucon officer is probably going to get irritated with you fairly quickly if you have X, Y, and Z activities all planned out and you start hounding him/her to sign off your chit right off the bat. If you have something legitimately pressing, of course let them know ASAP, but some of the more esoteric "me" activities will probably not rank too high on their list of priorities. So be careful how you go about it.

sfrankie08

pilot
Yeah, I checked in 31OCT and I class up 17APR (and I came in with IFS complete). And one of my buddies who got here 9JAN won't class up until around May.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
A word of advice though....when checking into a new command and entering a pool status, your stucon officer is probably going to get irritated with you fairly quickly if you have X, Y, and Z activities all planned out and you start hounding him/her to sign off your chit right off the bat. If you have something legitimately pressing, of course let them know ASAP, but some of the more esoteric "me" activities will probably not rank too high on their list of priorities. So be careful how you go about it.

Maybe if you just pulled your share of duties they wouldn't get so angry...:D

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Last I heard, they aren't approving leave or OHARP until you are 100% ready to class up for API, which means medically cleared, BOLTC, and IFS complete. I'd be shocked if you completed all that within 2 months of checking in. IFS will take you one month minimum and you won't start that until at least a few weeks after you get down here.

USNMark

Last I heard, they aren't approving leave or OHARP until you are 100% ready to class up for API, which means medically cleared, BOLTC, and IFS complete. I'd be shocked if you completed all that within 2 months of checking in. IFS will take you one month minimum and you won't start that until at least a few weeks after you get down here.

Sweet, if check-in, medical, and BOLTC all take about 2 weeks, looks like I'll be looking at the possibility of OHARP approval since I'm waiving IFS. :icon_smil Thanks for the info guys.