• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Easiest branch to become a pilot.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OP: If you were trolling, well played.

If you were just asking about the odds (number of applicants vs number of available billets), it's not really a relevant question. The service branches all have very different cultures and picking one based on what you think your chances might be isn't very clever.

Not trying to be all "kids these days," but I've noticed such a pathological fear of failure in the current crop of aspirants and students that they'll put way more energy into finding the route with the least competition than they probably would've just going the route they wanted and working at success. I think it's probably due to a childhood being protected from failure (or even setbacks) at all costs, and guarding self-esteem has done them a disservice now that they're adults.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I agree with what all these guys said. When I was (much) younger I wanted to fly in the Air Force because they seemed to have the most cool jets. But as I grew up I realized that I liked the culture of the Navy much more. Pick a service for the culture, because remember that no matter what, you're always an Officer first and a pilot/FO second.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
OP: If you were trolling, well played.

If you were just asking about the odds (number of applicants vs number of available billets), it's not really a relevant question. The service branches all have very different cultures and picking one based on what you think your chances might be isn't very clever.

Not trying to be all "kids these days," but I've noticed such a pathological fear of failure in the current crop of aspirants and students that they'll put way more energy into finding the route with the least competition than they probably would've just going the route they wanted and working at success. I think it's probably due to a childhood being protected from failure (or even setbacks) at all costs, and guarding self-esteem has done them a disservice now that they're adults.
There is a part of NROTC service selection that is luck of the draw, no matter how he performs in school. A high GPA in a tech major could get him an express ticket to interview at Naval Reactors.

Perhaps he was just concerned about his odds of the dice rolling in his favor moreso than a fear of failing at school, and if he's really that turned off by the prospect of being a SWO or sub officer then he might be better off applying through OCS.

croakerfish

pilot

In the defense of kids these days, the consequences of failure ARE higher than they perhaps used to be. Getting a degree means a hell of lot more debt for a lower chance of getting a job, and the jobs that are out there pay a lot less. I don't blame people for wanting to get a feel for the odds. Hell, how often have people scorched liberal arts majors with big debt loads for not asking the same question...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the defense of kids these days, the consequences of failure ARE higher than they perhaps used to be. Getting a degree means a hell of lot more debt for a lower chance of getting a job, and the jobs that are out there pay a lot less. I don't blame people for wanting to get a feel for the odds. Hell, how often have people scorched liberal arts majors with big debt loads for not asking the same question...

Eh, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about being so terrified of failure that they'll pick the path of least resistance rather than risk it. A friend of mine's son was thinking of applying for West Point. He was at least competitive, based on his SATs and HS performance. But he kept putting off doing the paperwork and finally came out with, "But what if I apply and I get rejected!?" He was really terrified at the prospect. And I'm going, so what if you don't get in? That's a reason not to even try?

Studs in Pensacola when I was instructing, I saw over and over, would be completely crushed by flunking an exam. "Sir, maybe I'm just not cut out for this. I studied really hard and still failed. Maybe I should DOR and redes..."

It comes up all the time on here, hopefuls asking "how do I arrange things so that I go in guaranteed to get what I want?" Look at all the "what are my chances?" threads.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Everyone needs to chill out. He just wants to set himself up for success as best he can. He wants to fly airplanes and he wants to get there with the best odds possible. He's not saying he's not willing to work hard. I could easily have seen myself asking this question when I was a wannabe.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think we're all reading a lot into one dumb question from a guy who hasn't been heard from since. Let's move along.

texags

pilot
Lots of people jumping on their high horse over a simple question. There is nothing wrong with what he asked, although maybe it was a little blunt. Want to know why I am a marine pilot and not an AF pilot? Given my circumstances (non-technical major), I knew I had a better chance at becoming a navy or marine pilot.

User1993

Ya, this guy (like me and every other wanna be) just wants to ultimately fly something. Hell, anything for that matter. And wants to take the most promising route. I get that. But make sure you never use the word "easier". Whatever route you take, I'm pretty sure it's going to be a challenging difficult journey.

It's all about opportunity to me. I was a professional dipshit in high school. So by doing that I eliminated some possible commissioning programs. Now I'm just looking into PLC and the two year NROTC scholarship.

If I can't become a naval aviator. I've decided I'll try to become an army aviator. You're not too old to be a army pilot unless you're older than 32. Where as in the navy/marines the cut off age is 27. They say you don't need a degree to be an army pilot. But I've heard it's so competitive that you pretty much do need one.

I don't know this for certain. But my guess would be that becoming an army pilot is less competitive. I only think this because the army doesn't have jets. And damn near every aspiring pilot wants to fly jets. So they go after the navy/marines/airforce.

croakerfish

pilot
I don't know this for certain. But my guess would be that becoming an army pilot is less competitive. I only think this because the army doesn't have jets. And damn near every aspiring pilot wants to fly jets. So they go after the navy/marines/airforce.

You guys are fucking killing me. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
246132_170x100.png

busdriver

None
Which part is "fucking killing you"? Is it my INSANE theory that most aspiring pilots want to fly jets? (Sarcasm)
Yes, because it's so fucking insane that a young hopeful dreams of flying the death dealing Apache? For what it's worth, Army WOCS program is very competitive, and they have an up or out program that has a lower percentage of promotion to retirement eligible ranks than the Air Force or the Navy.

Not everyone views their military service as a stepping stone to the airlines. Those of us in the helo world are faced with the reality that civilian helo employment is actually a step backwards as far as pay is concerned.....