• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Early OCS arrival?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michaela

Hey,
Is there any advantage to arriving within the first hours of check-in? (versus sunday morning?). I was recently advised to arrive ASAP cuz the best living quarters are handed out first (I was told this by an Army guy who was an officer candidate a LONG time ago). Is this relevant at all to my situation?
Mchaela

OCS in Jan!

Michaela

Pretty much what I figured. Thanks for the quick reply. Now I can make my plans. Any advice on where I can get a good breakfast?
Michaela

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Waffle House...

I arrived in Pensacola about 5 days early and stayed at the BEQ. There I met several of my soon to be classmates. Four of us went to Waffle House and had a nice big breakfast the morning of check-in. It was a nice time of fellowship before H-hour. Those first four weeks I wish I had Waffle House to go to.

*note: there wasn't a Waffle House anywhere near where I grew up or went to school so I had never been to one.

patbrown08

Hey,
Listen to what Matt said. I just graduated and my last week was spent indoctrinating the poopies. Wait until the last possible second to show up. You are just gonna stand in the hall while the candy o's try to get you cheked in and given a bunk. There are no GOOD living quarters at OCS. So spare yourself the extra few minutes.
Pat

Dave Shutter

Ditto...

It takes about an hour to to go through the actual indoc process and get you poopie greens and your rack in the squad bay, the remaining 10 hours of the day are spent at attention, reciting stuff, starting the process of losing your voice and getting earfulls from the indoc staff. For those of you not in the know, 10 hours at attention is torture but then again the sooner you body gets used to it the better.

Sleep late, check out the town and get a good meal. We had guys showing up at 8:00 at night. I don't recommend that, but by all means, take your time showing up.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gouge Book?
Matt, did you actually use that or did you just stare meaninglessly through it. I remember writing down the C of C and 2 things for 4th week. I never really tried memorizing that stuff in the hours spent standing in chow hall waiting for that slow section leader to finally get his/her food. I was very happy to have secured in 4th week.

mklepac

Hey guys, couple of questions:

1. What exactly are poopie greens?

2. I've been memorizing the gouge and such and I'm curious as to how we are "quized" on this. i.e. with the general orders of the sentry, do we recite them as loud as possible in order from 1-11 or will they ask us in random order? I've got it down pretty good when I go in order but when I jumble them up I gotta think for a second and i'm sure there's not time for thinking under pressure!

3. I'm planning on going up on a Sat. From the prior posts, are you suggesting we get our own room (not BEQ) and check in at ~10:30 on Sun or should we stay at the BEQ and do that? I guess what i'm asking is when we check in the BEQ we are still sorta "free" and able to do as we please since we havn't actually checked in, is that correct?

4. Matt, you mentioned holding your gouge book up until your arms felt like they were gonna fall off..do they make us hold the books out studying every free chance there is or what?

I got less than a month before OCS so i'm starting to get a little nervous....

Thanks!
Mike

unfUSN

1. Poopie greens are these horrible old green fatigues that you wear ALL week long. They are called poopies, because you REALLY SMELL by Friday.

2. You have to know the general orders of the sentry, chain of command, and code of conduct verbatim!!! no exceptions! And you will recite them BALLISTICALLY to the DI's and Chiefs. They ask them in a random order... Put them on index cards and shuffle them up and quiz yourself. It worked for me.

3. When you check in on Sat you will be sent to the BEQ, if they have room you'll get one, if not you'll have to go out into town and get a room, you'll get reimburse later if you save your receipt.

4. You will hold that Gouge out in front of you a lot during the Poopie week and mostly at Chow after that. My class had to hold those damn books out in front of us every meal before chow for about 20 min before we could eat.

Hope this helped!
ENS Payne

[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.