• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

earbuds for running - recommendations?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Sony MDR-AS20J - they rock.

eba56c97c62f847e7d0d39127567d6d4.image.200x120.jpg

Second that. I use them and they never fall off and put out good sound for the little amount I paid for them. Great buy.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
Let me say, I HATE earbuds. I also run with the grace of an injured horse, so they fall out. I have the problem that most earbuds (like the ones that came with my ipod) hurt. If I get the wrap around the ear kind, they never fit - I dont know if my ears were installed backward or what.

I also love working out to music, and after a ton of trial and error, I found these:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Twist-Stereo-Sport-Headphones/dp/B000FJEYZS/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i
They twist into your ear, that little piece on top fits into the fold of the ear above your ear-hole. The actual bud does not have to be crammed onto your ear, it just sits there. They come with a variety of different attachments so you can custom fit them to your ears. And best of all, they didnt slip no matter how sweaty I get or how much I jump (I use these for crossfit workouts, jumping up on boxes, running on treadmills, etc - no issue). They rock.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really? Are base security/police or the MAs really going to stop and tell you to take them off? Are there any other PT no-nos?

No, most regulations prohibit headphones while jogging on base. Most won't bug you.

But...if you get hit by a car with headphones on and the LOD investigation reveals that...who knows?

UMichfly

pilot
None
Really? Are base security/police or the MAs really going to stop and tell you to take them off? Are there any other PT no-nos?

You haven't been at Whiting long enough to meet our resident rent-a-cop pest. That kid will stop you for anything...all while wearing his sweet road guard vest. Thankfully the folks adjudicating his massive ticket load every few months know his shenanigans well and adjust accordingly :D.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
The NASCC MA/Security don't give a shit...I was passed by them the other day on the perimeter road...pulled out the right bud.."What's up?!" They told me I was crazy for running at 10 in the morning, I made some smartass comment about coffee and donuts and carried on smartly about my day. They laughed and did the same.

Eliot Watts

I'd recommend anything that Shure makes. Etymotic has a good product but its just not as durable especially for sport purposes.

Shure has a great warranty as well and will repair and damage you do to your phones. They are past your twenty dollar budget but they do last. You don't need to buy them every six months. I've been running with mine for over three years without issue or complaint.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just had a pair of Sennheiser CX300 delivered, but they're so sound tight I'm afraid I'm gonna get hit by a car because I can't hear ANY outside noise at all. Great for use when studying or on an airplane, but probably dangerous for running...

on a side note, are you allowed to listen to music at OCS? Not necessarily to run with but at ANY point during the 3 months? I think that would be the hardest part of it (not really).

Eliot Watts

You adapt to the loss of aural perception. My first time out I was running in a small town and failed to look both ways before crossing the road. A bus just steamed right past me an inch from my nose. I nearly step right under it and all because I couldn't hear it even at a hands length.

Nowadays I've learned to keep my head up and enjoy the silence.

You adapt to the loss of aural perception. My first time out I was running in a small town and failed to look both ways before crossing the road. A bus just steamed right past me an inch from my nose. I nearly step right under it and all because I couldn't hear it even at a hands length.

Nowadays I've learned to keep my head up and enjoy the silence.

Are you also blind?

Eliot Watts

I think you'd be suprised how much you rely on sound to establish your surroundings. But yes, I didn't notice a bus overtaking me from behind.

Bevo16

pilot
Try this. It really helps you get a little extra resistance training and balance from your workout.

42-15600875.jpg

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I tried the SONY earbuds for running, but there was too much wind noise. So I use my Apple earbuds that came with the iPod for running, and my SONY earbuds for the gym and COMAIR flights.

The SONY earbuds block out quite a bit of background noise and they come with three flange sizes.
90120506.jpg

-ea6bflyr ;)

Try this. It really helps you get a little extra resistance training and balance from your workout.

42-15600875.jpg

Sounds like something I'd expect at OCS, except it wouldnt be a boombox, it'd be like a huge box of bricks. Probably not a bad idea. Thanks!