• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EAOS for Navy, but desiring to apply for USMC Officer Candidate School

AG3HEATHER

Would anyone be able to advise me if I can start building my package before I seperate from the Navy? Thank you. Semper Fi

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
Yes, but the recruiters can't process anything until after you seperate. Talk to a Marine Officer recruiter, they can get you on the straight and narrow. How do I know? I tried, but too little to late.... had just reupped.

phrogpilot73

Yes, but the recruiters can't process anything until after you seperate. Talk to a Marine Officer recruiter, they can get you on the straight and narrow. How do I know? I tried, but too little to late.... had just reupped.
Not true. If you submit a DD-368, request for conditional release - the recruiters can process your application while you're still on active duty.

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
Well, mebbe I was a different case cause I just reupped 6 months prior.... I'm leaning more towards #2 though with a big: got screwed. Oh well.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Not true. If you submit a DD-368, request for conditional release - the recruiters can process your application while you're still on active duty.

True statement. I've had to fight tooth and nail for mine as it works its way up the chain. If you do choose to pursue a DD-368, make sure that you follow up on it's progress actively. You may be surprised how supportive members of your chain of command can be. The key is that you have to show the person who is signing off on the release how it is beneficial to you, the Navy, and the Marine Corps. Make it very clear that this is a career progression and that you're trying to become the best leader possible, and you feel this is the best route available to you. Be ready to justify your decision and be prepared to handle resistance tactfully.

Best of luck to you.

AG3HEATHER

Thank you for the advice. I'm sorry to hear that. Is it possible you can still seperate early? My rate is at CREO 3 and we can get out one year early if we wish, but I have opted to do an IA before I get out. Once I get back, I have six months left on my contract and intend to save some more money so I can seperate and drop my package while I continue working on my masters.

AG3HEATHER

True statement. I've had to fight tooth and nail for mine as it works its way up the chain. If you do choose to pursue a DD-368, make sure that you follow up on it's progress actively. You may be surprised how supportive members of your chain of command can be. The key is that you have to show the person who is signing off on the release how it is beneficial to you, the Navy, and the Marine Corps. Make it very clear that this is a career progression and that you're trying to become the best leader possible, and you feel this is the best route available to you. Be ready to justify your decision and be prepared to handle resistance tactfully.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you indeed for the advice. My chain of command seems to have some disdain for the Marine Corps, but my Chief (Gunnery Sgt rank) is very supportive. Thankfully, I have a small command, so chits don't get lost easily. I'll keep ya'll posted on the progress. Thank you. Semper Fidelis

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Thank you indeed for the advice. My chain of command seems to have some disdain for the Marine Corps, but my Chief (Gunnery Sgt rank) is very supportive. Thankfully, I have a small command, so chits don't get lost easily. I'll keep ya'll posted on the progress. Thank you. Semper Fidelis

Not a problem Heather. It's important to remember that all too often, the senior enlisted member is the eyes and ears of the officer. You'll likely have to convince them just as much as you'll have to convince the officer that has to sign off on your paperwork. Being an excellent sailor and an exemplary leader wouldn't hurt.

AG3HEATHER

Not a problem Heather. It's important to remember that all too often, the senior enlisted member is the eyes and ears of the officer. You'll likely have to convince them just as much as you'll have to convince the officer that has to sign off on your paperwork. Being an excellent sailor and an exemplary leader wouldn't hurt.

Yes, ever since I used deadly force on one occassion while working with security forces, my chain has no problem seeing me as a Marine..lol. Yes, I am always growing and working on becoming a better leader to the four Sailors I am entrusted with. Thanks for the advice~

AG3HEATHER

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've contact the OSO office and am waiting to hear back about the process of submitting a package.

AG3HEATHER

Thank you all for your help! I am actually going to go into work with the federal government when I finish with the Navy. And thank you for serving. SEMPER FIDELIS! The Marines will always be the best. Period.