• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ea-6b?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiangel

I am in Primary and nearing my selection date. I was wondering what the odds are of getting Prowlers. I would think that most guys would want 18's. Also, with Prowlers transitioning to "growlers", are they likely to remain out of Whidbey? Any info would be appreciated.

Physicx

Banned
Just to add to the topic.How hard is it to get assigned to a land based squadron out of whibey and how often to they deploy?

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Physicx said:
Just to add to the topic.How hard is it to get assigned to a land based squadron out of whibey and how often to they deploy?

the land-based Navy Prowler squadrons are no more

don't be looking for any Growler slots till '07-'08 easily

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
the land-based Navy Prowler squadrons are no more

don't be looking for any Growler slots till '07-'08 easily

Uhhhh, who told you the land based Prowler squadrons were no more? They only retired one, there are three Navy squadrons land based left. As for who gets them, it is just luck of the draw and what is assigned to your RAG class. There are no particular people they put in them, except for the Air Force guys.

Physicx

Banned
I was reading some of squadron history and it sounds like the deployments are really diverse.And when the Growlers come on board are they going to have any ground units or is that to far away to predict. Also are the AF guys pilots or just FO's?And is Whidbey the only base?

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Flash said:
Uhhhh, who told you the land based Prowler squadrons were no more? They only retired one, there are three Navy squadrons land based left. As for who gets them, it is just luck of the draw and what is assigned to your RAG class. There are no particular people they put in them, except for the Air Force guys.

a Prowler pilot told me that who just came from Whidbey, he just showed up here to be an IP

in that case

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
a Prowler pilot told me that who just came from Whidbey, he just showed up here to be an IP

in that case

He is wrong unfortunately, there are still 3 left. As for future plans, they are not planned after the EA-18 comes down the line. The USAF is putting jamming pods on B-52's for their EA needs around 2008, and that is not a joke. I guess they did not learn a lesson from the EB-66's shot down in Vietnam, bigger plane is a bigger target.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Physicx said:
I was reading some of squadron history and it sounds like the deployments are really diverse.And when the Growlers come on board are they going to have any ground units or is that to far away to predict. Also are the AF guys pilots or just FO's?And is Whidbey the only base?

I addressed the land based issue in the post above, they won't stay around for the EA-18 (that is the plan at least). The USAF had one crew in every expeditionary squadron, 1 pilot and 3 Nav's. All were experinced guys until the last year when the AF started sending nugget Nav's (bad idea, the experienced AF guys were a great asset and it will kill the nuggets careers) and they were thinking about not sending any more pilots. All the pilots were Tacair and most of the Nav's were F-15 or B-1, with some B-52 and RC-135 guys and at least one EC-130.

Whidbey is were all the Navy squadrons are, except for the one in Atsugi, Japan. The 4 Marine squadorns are based at Cherry Pit, NC.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's too funny....I had always heard it called ARM PIT, NC.
ea6bflyr

Flash said:
The 4 Marine squadorns are based at Cherry Pit, NC.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
What Flash said.

Also, COMVAQWINGPAC (Prowler Wing) is committed to keeping the EA-18G at Whidbey. Personally, I say that basing at Lemoore makes sense from a range and maintenace support standpoint.

Land based technically deploy 3 months and then home for 6 months. CV squadrons deploy 6 months and then have 12-18 months at home but that is interrupted by workups. Of course, the real NAVY is on ships (right Flash? ;) ). After all, then you can become a Tailhook member.

cat_shot.jpg

BTW, Turkey and Saudi are no longer expedtionary destinations. The Marines are going to Iwakuni, Japan (their traditional spot, 6 month deployment) and the Navy boys are heading for..... Bagram AFB, Afghanistan. Can't say for what (I do know but can't say).

Status
Not open for further replies.