• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EA-6B capability with AGM-88 HARM

Llarry

My older EA-6B references lead me to believe that when the EA-6B was introduced during the Vietnam era, it did not incorporate any kinetic capability; it was not until some years later that the AGM-88 HARM capability was added. A search on the web and here at AW has not provided me any clarity on when the EA-6B got HARM.

I realize that making fun of the old, retired guy asking technical questions concerning Navy air is a minor sideshow on the forum. In this case, I don't think there are any OPSEC implications. Can some kind soul assist an amateur naval aviation historian please? Many thanks in advance.

Relatedly, my memory is that after the USAF retired their EF-111As without replacement, there was USAF representation in the VAQs at Whidbey. Did this USAF presence cease altogether after a few years or does it continue to this day? Again, Thank you very much.

Attachments

• EA-6B VMAQ-4.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 14

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don’t know if the EA-6B ever carried the AGM-45 SHRIKE in Vietnam, but the Intruder certainly did.

The HARM was first fielded on a Prowler by VAQ-140 in 1985. They also were the first to deploy with it on the Kennedy in 1986.

The USAF presence continues to this day. All USAF personnel are assigned to expeditionary (land-based) Growler squadrons. Some USAF personnel were assigned to boat squadrons during the last few years of Prowler flying.

Update: I just found out that there’s a USAF EWO assigned to a Growler boat squadron. He may be a one-off, but interesting to note.

Last edited:

Llarry

I don’t know if the EA-6B ever carried the AGM-45 SHRIKE in Vietnam, but the Intruder certainly did.

The HARM was first fielded on a Prowler by VAQ-140 in 1985. They also were the first to deploy with it on the Kennedy in 1986.

The USAF presence continues to this day. All USAF personnel are assigned to expeditionary (land-based) Growler squadrons. Some USAF personnel were assigned to boat squadrons during the last few years of Prowler flying.
Many thanks for the succinct response, cfam. My own memory is that the EA-6B never carried the Shrike in the early years; I think the only external stores were fuel tanks and the ALQ-99 pods.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Many thanks for the succinct response, cfam. My own memory is that the EA-6B never carried the Shrike in the early years; I think the only external stores were fuel tanks and the ALQ-99 pods.
I think you’re right. I did a bit more digging, and it looks like the SHRIKE wasn’t compatible with the Prowler at that point in time. I’m still looking for something definitive though. The HARM information came from VAQ-140’s command history report, which I had to update several times as a new guy back in 2011.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Damn dude, I'm a mil-aviation nerd, but you taught me something here. Side question, did EA-6A or Iron Hand A-6 ever carry Standard ARM? Maybe that is an A-4's question :)

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Damn dude, I'm a mil-aviation nerd, but you taught me something here. Side question, did EA-6A or Iron Hand A-6 ever carry Standard ARM? Maybe that is an A-4's question :)
Lol, happy to help. All that VAQ nerd knowledge finally coming in handy!

There are several mentions on aviation blog posts of later Iron Hand missions incorporating Standard ARM on A-6s. I’m inclined to trust them because most reference Rick Morgan’s books on Intruder ops in Vietnam.

I don’t think EA-6A’s ever carried any type of ARM. Everything I can find just discusses the jamming/esm setup, but admittedly it’s tough to find a lot of material on them.

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
Lol, happy to help. All that VAQ nerd knowledge finally coming in handy!

There are several mentions on aviation blog posts of later Iron Hand missions incorporating Standard ARM on A-6s. I’m inclined to trust them because most reference Rick Morgan’s books on Intruder ops in Vietnam.

I don’t think EA-6A’s ever carried any type of ARM. Everything I can find just discusses the jamming/esm setup, but admittedly it’s tough to find a lot of material on them.
Let me know when we get into the deep VAQ nerdery: USQ-113 and ALE-43. I'll be in the back looking up cutter heads and figuring out where to out my Bingo bag since the birdcage won't be available.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let me know when we get into the deep VAQ nerdery: USQ-113 and ALE-43. I'll be in the back looking up cutter heads and figuring out where to out my Bingo bag since the birdcage won't be available.
Lol, I miss the 113. The kids these days don’t know how bad they have it with the CCS.

The 43 is the zombie that refused to die. It took until about three years after the last squadron transitioned until we stopped getting questions about bulk chaff at HAVOC.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

They did, one of the civilians in Whidbey had been a reserve Marine ECMO who flew with VMAQ-4 when it was still a reserve squadron ('81-'92) and flew EA-6A's (''81-'91). He mentioned one day that they used to load up the EA-6A's with 6 Shrikes sometimes for shits and grins.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They did, one of the civilians in Whidbey had been a reserve Marine ECMO who flew with VMAQ-4 when it was still a reserve squadron ('81-'92) and flew EA-6A's (''81-'91). He mentioned one day that they used to load up the EA-6A's with 6 Shrikes sometimes for shits and grins.
Awesome loadout! Thanks for the correction.

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
Lol, I miss the 113. The kids these days don’t know how bad they have it with the CCS.

The 43 is the zombie that refused to die. It took until about three years after the last squadron transitioned until we stopped getting questions about bulk chaff at HAVOC.
43 was a great capability. Talk about shutting down an IADS. I bet MQ-25 could carry it...

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
43 was a great capability. Talk about shutting down an IADS. I bet MQ-25 could carry it...
I never actually got to use one, but heard good things/saw the effectiveness data. Were there issues with it dispensing properly/jamming up, or am I misremembering?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Awesome loadout! Thanks for the correction.

I think that was the point, as in they wanted to have an awesome loadout to say they did it and no one was there to stop them on the weekend.

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
I never actually got to use one, but heard good things/saw the effectiveness data. Were there issues with it dispensing properly/jamming up, or am I misremembering?
I only used it on a handful of occasions. It worked fine but I have heard the same anecdotal (WSOM probably had something in it) stories about it jamming up. I'm sure we can upgrade the guts for Stingray to the Fight. I'll call Roto right now.