• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E2 Question

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Interesting issue with the nukes (68 class), the airconditioning requirements were ........

Good point, the new birdfarms such as the CVN 68 were far far superior to your average. Woefully I was long retired by the time the Nimitz hit the fleet.

However arriving to join the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club aboard the Big T (USS Ticonderoga, CVA-14 (redesignated CVS-14 an end all do all birdfarm of McNamara fame)) conditions were a bit more primitive. And yes, the water intake to the evaporators (those machines that made fresh water from salt water, say for bathing) had to deal with elevated temps that lowered efficiency to the extent that fresh water for showers was not available, albeit they always seemed to have fresh water to wash down those damn airplanes. Now assemble 50 or so bodies in a berthing compartment, air conditioning? what was that?, and not having showered in say two weeks, now there was aroma. Lucky folks found a spot on the catwalk, if no flight ops were sked.

But then again, sailors just love to complain, about anything.

Crowbar

None
How's that work, anyway? I'm kinda vaguely aware of the changes to the SNFO pipeline and VT-4's revival, but I don't know the particulars.

VT-4 was reactivated last summer and took over T-39 flying from -10. VT-86 has already done their last T-39 flight. VT-4 will do their last T-39 flight in September, and that will be it. VT-4 should be starting its first MCS class shortly thereafter.

Everything else is fuzzy and constantly changing.

Last edited:

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The sundown ceremony was nicely done. There was some good T-39 division footage shown at the museum. Four current or former VT-4 COs in the flyover. Lots of great Americans at the club that night.
Crowbar, do you know if retired CDR Doug Barron attended the T-39 retirement? He was a long-time civilian contract Pilot at VT-86, who retired several years ago after 50+ years piloting Navy aircraft. Doug was a flight training buddy, my Squadronmate in two fleet squadrons, and like myself, a career Skyhawk driver. Lordy, with his 23 years Navy and ~30 years in VT-28, he must have logged 30K+ hours!:cool:
1959 Squadron at Fallon.jpg
Doug Barron (front 3rd from L) - VA-94 @ Fallon 1959

Doug And Robbie At Fallon.jpg
Doug (L) VA-94 Flightline @ Fallon 1959
*Note Int'l orange flight suit, optional back then

BzB

Last edited:

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
B who is the guy in the rear first on the left? Is he yawning or yelling to get the picture taken.
As I recall, his name was Dean ?, a maint. 'groundpounder'. Maybe yawning? A few of you may recognize the gent 2 to the right of Dean, as CAPT (then LTjg) Dick "Beak" Stratton, the noted 6-year Vietnam ex-POW who, when forced to confess to war crimes at a Hanoi filmed press conference, acted drugged, bowing to the four corners and blinked in Morse Code T O R T U R E! Dick was highly decorated for his courage and leadership as a POW.:)
CAPT Richard A. Stratton.jpg
BzB

Last edited:

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
The sundown ceremony was nicely done. There was some good T-39 division footage shown at the museum. Four current or former VT-4 COs in the flyover. Lots of great Americans at the club that night.
what will they be replacing the 39 with?

Crowbar

None
Crowbar, do you know if retired CDR Doug Barron attended the T-39 retirement?

I don't know, but I can ask around. I've heard the name but never flew with him. Even though I was around for the sundown, I'm kind of removed from flying and the squadrons these days.

what will they be replacing the 39 with?

No direct replacement. That part of the syllabus is just going away. Once the Multi Crew Simulator (MCS) is up and running, big wing SNFOs will do their advanced training in it, get winged in Pensacola, then go to the FRS.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Crowbar, do you know if retired CDR Doug Barron attended the T-39 retirement? He was a long-time civilian contract Pilot at VT-86, who retired several years ago after 50+ years piloting Navy aircraft. Doug was a flight training buddy, my Squadronmate in two fleet squadrons, and like myself, a career Skyhawk driver. Lordy, with his 23 years Navy and ~30 years in VT-28, he must have logged 30K+ hours!:cool:

I had the pleasure of flying with Doug. Great guy. Small world. By the time I flew with him, I don't think he actually said any checklists, just some single syllable harummphs, and away we go.
I'd swear on a couple of the longer jet route nav legs, he'd catch a nap. :D

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd swear on a couple of the longer jet route nav legs, he'd catch a nap. :D
Yeah, Doug has always been a pleasant, easy going Dude. It may have seemed that way, but I guar-un-tee he didn't fly all those hours (especially lo-lvl nav) accident free, without 100% SA, from chock-to-chock!:eek:
BzB