• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-6 Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundersquid

pilot
Can anyone out there tell me more about the E-6 community and training pipeline?

I know a little about it, like the advanced training is at Vance. But how long is it, what plane do you train in, where is the FRS and how long is that? What are the detachment schedules really like (i have heard different things like 3 weeks out, 3 weeks in but you gotta where a beeper and are on call)? What is Oklahoma City like (any opinions)? Is there stuff to do there? Any opinions on the schools for the kids?

Any info is appreciated.

saltpeter

Most married guys live up in Edmond, at least used too. As for stuff to do, I flush my toilet and Oklahoma sprouts a new lake. As for the schedule,that sounds about right, you where a beeper for four days before you deploy and you may or may not go flying. You'll easily get 1200 hours of flight time during your time there and you can stay on and instruct for VQ -7 or at Vance and not have to move the kiddies. It's a really good deal for a married guy, if not the best deal. I'm not sure how long VQ -7 (the FRS) is, but I'd make a guess of a month or two. Although, the downside is that when you go to some awsome vacation spot for R&R and your wife calls, good luck explaining how hard deployment is - HA HA.

Sabre170

None
Are there any E-6 NFOs who can shedsome light on the community...? What do you do in the air and for collateral duties?

saltpeter

You'll start as a navigator. Which honestly there is no need for a navigator on the E6. After a month to three month you'll be in the back of the plane studying the procedures for communications. Under your command will be and (2) RM, (3) AT's and (2) Reel Operator. Usually, only 1 Rm, 2 At's, and 1 Reel are working at any one time. You will no crap manage these people and if you don't want the responsibility, find another platform to fly because it's your a@@. Since there is alot of visibilty in high places don't allow the E's to run you, set the tone early. The E's there aren't some young punks that afraid of an O, so be ready to manage first classes and chief's, who while extremely professional will no doubt challenge your judgement. In the end your the boss and this isn't the job for the meek.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
saltpeter said:
You'll start as a navigator. Which honestly there is no need for a navigator on the E6. After a month to three month you'll be in the back of the plane studying the procedures for communications. Under your command will be and (2) RM, (3) AT's and (2) Reel Operator. Usually, only 1 Rm, 2 At's, and 1 Reel are working at any one time. You will no crap manage these people and if you don't want the responsibility, find another platform to fly because it's your a@@. Since there is alot of visibilty in high places don't allow the E's to run you, set the tone early. The E's there aren't some young punks that afraid of an O, so be ready to manage first classes and chief's, who while extremely professional will no doubt challenge your judgement. In the end your the boss and this isn't the job for the meek.

**WARNING - sarcastic, rhetorical question - WARNING**

What's an RM?

Brett

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Methinks saltpeter has been away from the fleet for a while. Or whatever it is you call the E-6 community.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
saltpeter said:
Most married guys live up in Edmond, at least used too. As for stuff to do, I flush my toilet and Oklahoma sprouts a new lake. As for the schedule,that sounds about right, you where a beeper for four days before you deploy and you may or may not go flying. You'll easily get 1200 hours of flight time during your time there and you can stay on and instruct for VQ -7 or at Vance and not have to move the kiddies. It's a really good deal for a married guy, if not the best deal. I'm not sure how long VQ -7 (the FRS) is, but I'd make a guess of a month or two. Although, the downside is that when you go to some awsome vacation spot for R&R and your wife calls, good luck explaining how hard deployment is - HA HA.

Hmmmm, not sure I would agree with what has been said here:

- Easily get 1200 hours: Well, you may get 1200 but you will work your but off to get it as a pilot. If you count all the special crew time one would get as a FO, then yes 1200 is reasonable.

- Stay on and instruct at VQ-7: Only the best squadron IPs will stay on at VQ-7 as IPs, and if you do not make squadron IP you have ZERO chance of being an IP at 7. Also, FRS is about 6 months for pilots (to include SERE and swim). The course for FOs at 7 just changed and I do not know how long it is anymore.

- Good deal for the married guys: Well, I am not married but the married guys do seem to think it is a very good deal. It's not horrible for single people but it does make it a little tough to start a relationship if you meet a girl from town. The guys who had GFs coming in seem to do pretty well w/ their relationships.

- Explaining how tough deployment is when you are at a great stop: Priceless.

thundersquid

pilot
Thanks for all the info so far. I have been talking to my onwing a bit about it (an E-6 pilot) so I have heard a little about what to expect. In any case, I am just trying to educate myself a little better and this has been helping alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.