• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2 pipeline for NFO's

asm2

For any E-2 nfo's, I have three questions for you that I don't understand. I know that once your done with intermediate at VT-10 or VT-4, you head off to Norfolk to VAW-120 and the jet guys stay in Pensacola for VT-86. Is VAW-120 the only training squadron for you guys and is this the rag, because that is what it seems like to me. If it is the rag, do you get winged before or after VAW-120? Also, how long is the training at this squadron? Thanks for any help because I'm thinking about selecting for E-2's, but I just don't understand those few things.

MasterBates

VAW-120 is the C2/E2 RAG, and also E2 NFO's wing there.

As to the timing and length of training, one of the Tube Rats would be a better source of info...

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
Yes!!!!!!!!!! I hereby promote Masterbates to 04 and Det OIC just because he's the first one in a long time to get the name of the community correct by having the C2 come first.

My deed is done, I pass the torch and the pint of Guinness to the next generation.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
To add to what MasterBates said, VAW-120 is also advanced for you guys. Send pal215 a PM... he's up there right now.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
For any E-2 nfo's, I have three questions for you that I don't understand. I know that once your done with intermediate at VT-10 or VT-4, you head off to Norfolk to VAW-120 and the jet guys stay in Pensacola for VT-86. Is VAW-120 the only training squadron for you guys and is this the rag, because that is what it seems like to me. If it is the rag, do you get winged before or after VAW-120? Also, how long is the training at this squadron? Thanks for any help because I'm thinking about selecting for E-2's, but I just don't understand those few things.

1. Yes, you'll leave after I-grad at VT-4/VT-10 (I assume everyone does D-JET now or that it was just made part of the training track for all due to the T-6).

2. 120 is the only E-2 training squadron. And yes, we put up with our share of C-2 guys; but I'm pretty sure it's an affirmative action thing or something. ;)

3. NFOs get winged at 120, about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through (after you get your certification as an air intercept controller). When I went through in 99-00, it was about 16 months or so. May be a little shorter now, but a lot of it depends on aircraft availability.

It's a ton of fun; but there's a lot of academics, so be ready. The days of multiple choice are over, so be expected to know, list, describe, explain, etc. This applies to systems and tactics. Hope this helps, and good luck!

MasterBates

Actually, I am just a pipeline select. I could end up in E2's.. But I am doing all in my power to get C2's.

Both are an improvement, and I will enjoy flying either.

But, I want my $10,000 per diem patch.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
Right now, it's about seven/ eight months from class up to wings, then another seven/ eight months to finish the RAG.

Feel free to send me a PM with any specific questions.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Ideally, an NFO spends 54 weeks at VAW-120 before going out to the fleet. Right now, however, you can tack on another month to that. So figure you'll be there for 13 to 14 months.

Basically goes like this...

Check in...sit around for a while.

Class up and learn systems.

Finish systems and learn NCIs and AICs.

Do your winging flights (2) at around the 6 to 7 month mark.

Learn Links, tactics, intel, the way of the jedi, etc.

Go the fleet and forget 90% of what you learned....just kidding. Seriously, though, why did I ever learn the strokes per minute of the windshield wipers?

...and here's one more bit of gouge...

If you never got sick in the T-6 or T-1, great. Lots of people get sick at first in the E-2. I never had an issue down in P-cola, but I have gotten sick in the tube (once with results and once I would have had results if we had done one more damn touch and go).

MasterBates

If you never got sick in the T-6 or T-1, great. Lots of people get sick at first in the E-2. I never had an issue down in P-cola, but I have gotten sick in the tube (once with results and once I would have had results if we had done one more damn touch and go).

Great, TubeRats getting sick... Score another for COD :D

MasterBates

In all seriousness, why do guys get sick in the back of the E-2, while AW's in helos (no horizion reference or flight instruments) almost never get sick?

Is it the sitting sideways?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In all seriousness, why do guys get sick in the back of the E-2, while AW's in helos (no horizion reference or flight instruments) almost never get sick?

Is it the sitting sideways?

What do you mean, no horizon reference? What do you think that huge window is for? ;)

Brett

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Ok, smart guy...how many flight instruments in the back of the tube?

BTW, it's always night/IMC in the back.