• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2 Community

ELCID05

I have done a search on the Hawkeye community and I was hoping that some of the Hummer FOs could chime in with their thoughts. I noticed in a number of the posts regarding E2 guys that they hate to be looked at as air traffic controlers. What other parts of the missions do the NFOs on board the E2 do? Another question I have is more about the dynamics within the squadrons. Are the guys pretty close? They go out to the O' club a lot like you see over in oceana? I was with a Tomcat squadron for my first class cruise and I noticed that the fighter guys were a pretty tight knot community. I appreciate any thoughts or info anybody has.

Lawman

None
I think with reguards to being givin the title "Air Traffic Controller" the main peave is that it simplifies and lowers what it is that they are really doing in the tube. Battle Space Managers would be a much more appropriate title from what Ive seen posted on the board.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
All right dude, here's what it's like being a hummer mole. Basically, we are not just ATC. It's more than that. A lot of people call us the quarterback of the skies... I don't think that's accurate. I think we're more like a defensive/offensive coordinator. We get the order from the head coach (Admiral/CAG) and then look to see what formation at our disposal can get the job done. Then we call the play. As far as missions go, we do it all bro. From surface search, to air strikes, to airborne battlefield command and control, you are going to see a hawkeye in the mix somewhere. We are also an over-the-horizon relay for the ships. Without dorking out, let me just say that we extend how far the battle group can see. Now, the job definitley isn't sexy. All your buddies who go to fighter land will lead the life of glory blowing stuff up and showing the ladies how cool they are with the jet...You, on the other hand, will be talking to people in charge because you are the overall airborne SA builder. If you have any specific q's about missions, PM me.
As for the squadron dynamic, it ranges from squadron to squadron. I think it is the same for any platform. You can have a ready room full of tools or a group of awesome dudes, it totally depends on the luck of the draw. From what I have seen, NFO's get treated pretty well in the VAW community. We are the reason the plane is in the air. It's nice to know you aren't just baggage as some pilots will claim about their NFO's. Add to that, the relationship between pilots and NFO's is awesome. Every once and a while you run into a jerk, but a quick sidestep takes care of that. I think this post has gone on long enough. Again, if you have any specific q's, PM me. Good luck.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to goplay234 again.

Concise. Terse. Succinct. Well played. :)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Goober said:

Concur. Obviously I'm not an E-2 guy, but the analogies are great.

ELCID05

I really appreciate the explanation. I am still leaning towards jets but I definitely wont be crying in my beer if their is a Hawkeye draft on when I hit
I-grad. Any truth to the rumor that you can pretty mush choose which coast you want to serve on in the E-2?

Goober

None
Yeah, you'll end up divvying up within your class as to who wants what. Usually works out...sometimes there's an odd-man out situation, but it generally works out.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Generally, guys get what coast they want. Sometimes you have a lot of dudes who want to go to Cali (my class) and sometimes they're all about Norfolk (the class behind me). It all depends. Add to that the mysterious world of slatings and you basically just have a jumble. They still do the rankings though so if you do well in the RAG, you will probably get what you want. In my class the top 4 guys all got their first choice. The rest had to take what was left. It's a constant evaluation, but if you work your tail off, you'll get what you want. I did. California, here I come.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Not really sure what you mean by "life". Do you mean comfort? Or doing the job? Well, if you're talking about comfort, well, that's relative. You're not crammed into a rediculously small cockpit or an ejection seat, so there's more room to stretch out when things aren't busy. However, the downside is that the NFO's sit towards the tail of the a/c so if the pilot decides to get rudder happy, you're going to meet the extra large bowl of raisin bran you had in the morning for breakfast. Other than that, as long as the other Fo's don't bust a$$ in the back it's bearable. There are wierd smells and the general BO that comes from flying, but you get used to it.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Life in the tube vs an ejection seat

macattack said:
How's life in the tube?

From my time in the tube (however limited), I found it pretty dark.

goplay234 said:
You're not crammed into a rediculously small cockpit or an ejection seat, so there's more room to stretch out when things aren't busy.

True you have more room to move around for what it's worth, but if that's important, try the P-3/MMA route and all sorts of airborne luxury (and per diem) will come your way. I'd rather have an ejection seat as my escape option than have to "waddle" out of my seat in an E-2 with that parachute on my butt and try to get out the door in a hurry. And I always liked the view from a bubble canopy, especially inverted. My hat's off to guys in back though...I found it very disconcerting to be somewhat along for the ride taxiing on the flightdeck and going to the cat deprived of visual cues...worse is takeoff or landing in a COD. I suppose you also have an advantage relieving yourselves especially in a drysuit (I guess I know where this thread is heading now). However, there is the recurring butt cheek numbness on one side...I was recently in a Hawkeye 2000 at Norfolk sitting in the tube and that subject came up as a outcome of prolonged hops and the renewed interest in adding inflight refuelling to the E-2D and what that meant human factors wise.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Goober said:

I covered ya on the rep Goober.

I worked with 4 different VAW squadrons over the years. While I am sure there are knuckleheads in VAW outfits like anywhere else, from the outside, and as a consumer of their "product", I found them to always be the most professional, dedicated, unassuming squadron in the airwing. No hype, no BS or chest thumping. They just got-r-done.

Goober

None
wink said:
I covered ya on the rep Goober.
You're a scholar and a gentleman, Wink.

@Joe: Have to agree that it's reassuring to have the loud handle available (and have thought I was going to need it a couple of times in years past); but nowadays in E-2land, if anyone's waddling to the main door ahead of me, they're going to get walked on. Since there's not much catastrophic that can happen in an E-2 (rapid onset-wise), we can be out the door and pulling a ripcord in < 8 secs (E-2 guys think about it - you might have to forego the extras like the raft lanyard, but even the ACO can be out).