• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dyslexia

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Hey,

I've got a friend of a friend who wants to fly for the Coast Guard and the people who he's been in contact haven't been much help. I checked the NOMI waiver guide and didn't find anything. Is dyslexia considered disqualifying? The guy is in college finishing up his degree and is working on his CFI.

Thanks

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey,

I've got a friend of a friend who wants to fly for the Coast Guard and the people who he's been in contact haven't been much help. I checked the NOMI waiver guide and didn't find anything. Is dyslexia considered disqualifying? The guy is in college finishing up his degree and is working on his CFI.

Thanks

http://navmedmpte.med.navy.mil/nomi/nami/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver Guide - Psychiatry.pdf

It's considered a "learning disorder" and it's in the psychiatric section linked above. It will require an evaluation by NOMI, but is not necessarily CD.

Brett

bizlake

Another A-Pool Guy
I had a student that wasnt diagnosed, but I am pretty sure he is dyslexic. Wasnt too big of a deal. I guess that it depends on how severe it is. It starts becoming a problem when tail #s are read backwards and things like that. :icon_mi_1

Brunes

pilot

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Thanks for the link Brett...as far as the Blue 21 is concerned he did mention it, so he knows about it, but I had no idea what the program was and didn't ask further questions.

Brunes

pilot
To the OP...Just for my quick $.02-
The Coast Guard uses most of the same policies regarding medical NPQ's...so if the NOMI waiver thread and the above link to NOMI info say he has to be evaluated and then can be considered.

Also...Blue 21 is NOT the only way your friend can get into the Coast Guard aviation program...Several OCS graduates go to Aviation direct from Commissioning to Pensacola.

The CG makes it easy to take several shots at getting into the flight program...so if your friend is accepted to the Coast Guard he's got opportunies to join the aviation community several different ways.

The last thing is...If he doesn't try...he won't get in without a doubt. So tell him he needs to give it a shot and see what happens!!

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Thanks Brunes,

His first concern was the dyslexia and now that we have that answered I'm sure he'll give it a stronger look now. The recruiters he had talked to weren't able to answer his question and never got back to him so he had put it on the back burner. I'll get him on this forum so he can find out more on his own. Thanks again.