• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DWI charge.

kidfox_99

Hey Guys,
I'm new to this forum and the whole concept of forums so forgive me for being a newbie. I am currently a super Jr. in college and I am looking at going into the military to do some flying and I am partial to the Navy. On the other hand I'm not ruling out the Air Force or the USMC. Recently I got A DWI and I know this is going to be a problem when applying for OCS. I will be graduating in Dec. of 2008 and I was wondering if there was anthing that I could do to lessen the consequences of my actions. The recuiters I have talked to said that I would have to wait a year until I should even think of appying. I was planning and am still planning on talking to the three branches over Christmas break . I will be asking them and all of you if there is anything more I could do to help out my situation. Your info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Your first action should be to get a good lawyer and try to get out of it... whether it be dismissed or charges reduced, continued w/out a finding etc. It will help greatly if you don't have a conviction (Its one thing to be charged, and another to be convicted) for it on your record. Be prepared to pay though....

Pitt2005

If you havent had charges in the past you will probably recieve ARD classes, probation, etc. but it is usually expunged from your record after completion of the classes, probation, etc. I was charged a few years ago with a DUI and chose not to pay an attorney and recieve the punishment the court divied out. I fell on the mercy of the court, told them I messed up, deserve what I get, etc. I recieved ARD, 6 months probation, but the charges were dismissed if it makes any sense. Its as if your charged, given a punishment, then the record disappears. You will have to wait until the court rules and you complete there requirements before applying for OCS. Thats with all branches regardless of officer or enlisted. Once you complete the courts requirements, do not lie about it on your application to OCS. You can explain that you were charged, but either never convicted or expunged. Technically you may not have to admit to it once its expunged, but remember eventually its going to come up in your background clearence.Iit is worse to hide it. Best of luck

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
you never know unless you apply, but it will be a mark against you....how strong is the rest of your package? You may not be able to control what has already happened, but there are ways to make other aspects of your package stand out. I don't have the experience to speak specifically, but ideas that come to my mind are: extracurricular/leadership experience, sports, PRT score (max it out), ASTB score (take it until you do very well), foreign language (Arabic, Mandarin, Farsi, etc)...those kinds of things. I personally know of 2 different former mids (now commissioned officers) who recieved DUI's either before or while :)eek: ) they were in the NROTC program, and they were forgiven on the grounds of being solid candidates (aside from a couple obvious errors in judgement). Just some food for thought

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
FWIW you cannot have a pending charge (for the rule it might be felony only) against you when applying. Also, as was mentioned above there is no such thing as expunged for government/military background checks. Even with all that said, I am sure that people do get in despite various convictions/charges. Best of luck.

kidfox_99

flying

Hey guys thanks for the info so far. My court date is on Monday the 18th so I'll let you all know how it goes. Another question I had was does this make a difference on weather I can fly or not or is it behind me once and if I am accepted.

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
If you are convicted, even with the "deal" that was mentioned above, or with it reduced to something else you will forever have ass-pain getting a security clearance if you get one at all. The Navy is funny about such things. Not saying it isn't doable....just painful.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
If you are convicted, even with the "deal" that was mentioned above, or with it reduced to something else you will forever have ass-pain getting a security clearance if you get one at all. The Navy is funny about such things. Not saying it isn't doable....just painful.

Yes, make sure you get certified copies of all the court documents citing the disposition of your case- Be prepared to present them and give an explination of the circumstances/incident etc- for every interview/ background check (even if the case was dismissed).

fishyfish

pilot
I had a DUI when I was in high school...one of the dumber brain farts of my life! But I still managed to get into USNA and now I am in primary. So yes you can fly...yes, you can be a pilot. You just have to 1. Don't ever do it again! and 2. Prove yourself to be a good candidate. The academy could have taken my age at the time into consideration (I was a bullet proof and invincible teenager!) I also wrote a letter to the academy's admissions board discussing the incident and explained what I learned from it and asked for a chance to prove myself...luckily they gave it to me. Stick with it and if they turn you down once try again and again and again if this is something you really want. Everybody F*&#@! up in life...just learn from your mistakes and move on.

phrogpilot73

Just thought I'd throw out there that I got a DUI as a 1stLt (before I checked into my first squadron, but after I had been winged). I still got promoted to Capt and got a TS/SCI clearance a couple of years later. It's survivable...

CS3bitz

Kid_fox 99

Welcome to the DUI club. I know that this is something not to be proud of, but what I can tell you is that, as long as you have a helluva good lawyer, that can get you a PBJ (probation before judgement) with NO supervision...your good. Meaning the DUI charge will not be in your record. (1 good advice before you go to court, make sure you enroll yourself into some kind of alcohol class. You don't have to be finished with it, as long as you can show the court that your doing something about your problem) However, you will still need to include that in the application (OPNAVINST 1420.1) that you were arrested.

TUFFCASE

i need help too about dui

guys, i need your help.
i recently got a dui off base. i was commissioned in january and i have been in my job for close to 9 months now. i received the dui, and the command gave me thirty days restricction, a punitive letter of reprimand and detachment for cause. my skipper on the detachment for cause recommended me to be retained in the navy but i am still awaiting results on that. i do not know how long it takes. Are there any of u who have gone through this. i just do not know what is going on. my chain of command says i am not getting kicked out because the skipper recommended me to stay in the navy. but i would like to know what is your opinion. if this has happened to anybody else. people tell me that once the skipper endorse for you to stay it is very smooth but i still have my doubts. can you guys tell me what is coming to me. i have been transferred to another command already but i am waiting for the detachment for cause to be approved to get new orders. it is through bupers. please help me. i also already went to captains mast. thanks for your help on this case. this is my first ARI and my record is clean. i was looking to see if u had any other examples of officers u know this happened to.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
guys, i need your help.
i recently got a dui off base. i was commissioned in january and i have been in my job for close to 9 months now. i received the dui, and the command gave me thirty days restricction, a punitive letter of reprimand and detachment for cause. my skipper on the detachment for cause recommended me to be retained in the navy but i am still awaiting results on that. i do not know how long it takes. Are there any of oyu who have gone through this. i just do not know what is going on. my chain of command says i am not getting kicked out because the skipper recommended me to stay in the navy. but i would like to know what is your opinion. if this has happened to anybody else. people tell me that once the skipper endorse for you to stay it is very smooth but i still have my doubts. can you guys tell me what is coming to me. i have been transferred to another command already but i am waiting for the detachment for cause to be approved to get new orders. please help me. i also already went to captains mast. thanks for your help on this case. this is my first ARI and my record is clean.

Nobody is going to be able to predict what will happen in your particular set of circumstances, especially with the limited information you've provided. You're just going to have to talk with your command and see what happens.

Brett