• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dual Citizenship

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike172

GO NAVY
Sorry but im just trying to clarify. My dad is currently filling out the duel citizenship paperwork for British citizenship, if i join the military must i give up duel citizenship, or if i want a higher security clearence? or what? Thanks

Birdman

Could you enlist with dual citizenship? Or would you have to denounce the other country to join at all? I don't have dual citizenship, just wondering

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
You don't even have to be a US citizen at all to enlist. People do it all the time. You won't get an MOS that requires a clearance, though. A lot of good people became US citizens this way.

GreenMarineSVX

I am British and American also, my OSO made sure I knew I had to give mine up. Not tht I really care. My brother was in the Army and gave his up.

I am a dual citizen with the U.S. and Australia. Finished serving 4 years in the Marine Corps last year. I went through TONS of crap to keep my citizenship. It even came down to me getting a diffrent job with a lower security clearance. This time around though, I'm going back to be a pilot. Looks like I'm gonna have to give it up :(:(... I have done some checking into it though, and for those of us that are dual citizens, we can always get that citizenship back later in life if we so desire. I plan to move back to Australia after I retire since all of my family is still there so I am one of those VERY interested in remaining a citizen of another country. Well that and the fact that I was born and raised there. I'd feel like I was ignoring a part of my own personal "history" if I didn't keep it. Even if I do have to give it up, I'll still keep apart of it with me. Hell, I have the Australian flag tatooed on my back :D... But in all fairness, I also have my Marine Dogtags on my side.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I was reading Wikipedia and came across this section.
However, exercising (taking advantage of the entitlements of) a non-U.S. citizenship can cause problems. For example, possession and/or use of a foreign passport is a condition disqualifying from security clearance and "... is not mitigated by reasons of personal convenience, safety, requirements of foreign law, or the identity of the foreign country" as is explicitly clarified in a Department of Defense policy memorandum which defines a guideline requiring that "... any clearance be denied or revoked unless the applicant surrenders the foreign passport or obtains official permission for its use from the appropriate agency of the United States Government".[5]
I am a dual citizen of both the US and Australia, and have passports for both countries. I live in the US, have never lived in Australia, and have the Aussie passport because my father was born there. It's more of a fun thing to have and a nod towards my heritage than anything else. It goes without saying that my loyalties are 100% to the United States of America. Anyway, my question is, does anyone know when/if this will be an issue? I can see that at some point I have to do something about this passport, because DOD requires it, but will it affect the BDCP process? Will I need a waiver? Am I ineligible for the Navy and/or BDCP?

Thank you in advance

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm feeling nice.....so.....all it usually takes is swearing in front of an officer or someone similar that you denounce your citizenship to Australia. I had to do it when I enlisted.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
My experience is mostly with US/CAN citizenships, but my understanding is that a person "chooses sides" on their 18th birthday, beyond that I don't believe you can have dual citizenship without certain circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.