• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dual Citizenship Renouncing for BDCP

NAVYBM2

Contributor
Greetings guys and gals!
I have an interesting problem and I did not find any useful information on here about it. Perhaps because it is a very unique situation.
Recently I was selected for the BDCP (SNA, NFO, SWO). I have gone through MEPS, I did the PRT, I have done the security clearance application and the interview that goes along with that. The only thing that I have to do is renounce my citizenship from the place where I was born. This, as it turns out, it is easer said then done; I talked to the proper authorities and they said that the process will take minimum of 6 months. 6 months is a long time to wait if you are in the BDCP. I have worked so hard to get to this point and I would hate to loose my spot. Does anyone here know, if a waiver can be done on this? I know that one has to be a US citizen only before commission, but the BDCP is technically not a commission. I won't graduate school until May2011, so I have plenty of time to do all of this before I actually get the commission. Plus, I was already enlisted in the NAVY with a dual citizenship, so I know that it is not an issue there. The question is, will BDCP allow me to do that, and if not, am I going to loose my spot?

Thank you guys and gals for taking the time to read this.

Respectfully,

BM2

runron

Four months ago I was exactly in the same situation as you are now. First of all don’t worry about losing your spot; as long as you are willing to renounce your citizenship you’ll be fine.

What I did first was to contact my embassy, and explained the situation. In my case the embassy asked me to put in a request to clarify my citizenship status – in some cases the foreign government will go ahead and renounce the citizenship for you 2 -5 years after your passport expires.

Then you ask the embassy for a letter to send back to Millington that states you are in the process of clarifying/renouncing your citizenship. Along with that letter you attach a personal statement where you explain that you have initiated the citizenship renunciation process. Also anything you want to add that shows you are doing everything you can to get rid of your dual status.

Give these documents to your OR and then wait. If everything is in order it shouldn’t take too long before your final select.

With the exception of your birth certificate do you have any other valid documents proving your dual citizenship? If you don’t make sure you say that in your personal statement.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
Four months ago I was exactly in the same situation as you are now. First of all don’t worry about losing your spot; as long as you are willing to renounce your citizenship you’ll be fine.

What I did first was to contact my embassy, and explained the situation. In my case the embassy asked me to put in a request to clarify my citizenship status – in some cases the foreign government will go ahead and renounce the citizenship for you 2 -5 years after your passport expires.

Then you ask the embassy for a letter to send back to Millington that states you are in the process of clarifying/renouncing your citizenship. Along with that letter you attach a personal statement where you explain that you have initiated the citizenship renunciation process. Also anything you want to add that shows you are doing everything you can to get rid of your dual status.

Give these documents to your OR and then wait. If everything is in order it shouldn’t take too long before your final select.

With the exception of your birth certificate do you have any other valid documents proving your dual citizenship? If you don’t make sure you say that in your personal statement.

I do, I have a passport, and an ID issued from there. I was visiting 4 years ago, and had to renew my passport so I can avoid the visa issue. I will speak with my OR about that next week when they come back from leave. In the mean time I thought I should ask what people before me have done. I also asked my program manager about it and he said that I will have to renounce it before I was selected for my program. Does that mean before commission or before final select for BDCP? I don't know! I have to talk to him again.
Thank you for the replay!

runron

In my case they also said I had to renounce my citizenship before being accepted into the BDCP. The documents I mentioned earlier I guess were enough. From my understanding for this level of security clearance it is enough to show that you are willing to renounce, however it really depends who gets to review your application. Some may overlook the fact that you are dual others won’t.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I had to renounce my dual citizenship for BDCP as well. For me it was a matter of turning in an application with a fee and my passport to the country that I was renouncing citizenship for. Just go through the process. I know I posted about it on here and many before me did the same thing so do a search.

I also got some additional investigation from the security clearance people, but it was no big deal, just some extra questions.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Greetings guys and gals!
I have an interesting problem and I did not find any useful information on here about it. Perhaps because it is a very unique situation.
Recently I was selected for the BDCP (SNA, NFO, SWO). I have gone through MEPS, I did the PRT, I have done the security clearance application and the interview that goes along with that. The only thing that I have to do is renounce my citizenship from the place where I was born. This, as it turns out, it is easer said then done; I talked to the proper authorities and they said that the process will take minimum of 6 months. 6 months is a long time to wait if you are in the BDCP. I have worked so hard to get to this point and I would hate to loose my spot. Does anyone here know, if a waiver can be done on this? I know that one has to be a US citizen only before commission, but the BDCP is technically not a commission. I won't graduate school until May2011, so I have plenty of time to do all of this before I actually get the commission. Plus, I was already enlisted in the NAVY with a dual citizenship, so I know that it is not an issue there. The question is, will BDCP allow me to do that, and if not, am I going to loose my spot?

Thank you guys and gals for taking the time to read this.

Respectfully,

BM2

As long as your package is submitted before you head to OCS, you'll be fine. I was still a dual-citizen until my renunciation certificate arrived in the mail mid-primary.

Carlos Caliente

None
Ditto...I sent my other passport to the consul general along with a see ya note after I completed OCS. Their notification of receipt sufficed for security clearance purposes, and I didn't get that until halfway through primary.
Unless the rules have changed, BDCP shouldn't be an auto-renounce seeing as there are still dudes out there with two passports that have signed the willingness to renounce paperwork.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
Ditto...I sent my other passport to the consul general along with a see ya note after I completed OCS. Their notification of receipt sufficed for security clearance purposes, and I didn't get that until halfway through primary.
Unless the rules have changed, BDCP shouldn't be an auto-renounce seeing as there are still dudes out there with two passports that have signed the willingness to renounce paperwork.
I hope you are right! I will be sending a copy of my application to my OR on Thursday. We will see what they say, and I will keep this updated as I make progress.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I see you didn't read the other previous threads about this subject. I was a dual-citizen....and an Iranian citizen at that. They don't even recognize a renunciation of citizenship and well, here I am.

There are many threads on here about this subject to help you realize your situation is not unique and to ease your unnecessary worrying.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
I see you didn't read the other previous threads about this subject. I was a dual-citizen....and an Iranian citizen at that. They don't even recognize a renunciation of citizenship and well, here I am.

There are many threads on here about this subject to help you realize your situation is not unique and to ease your unnecessary worrying.

I am starting to feel the same way! I read some of them, but most were DAs, there was not much about this issue and the BDCP though.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
BDCP or DA doesn't really matter....you have to be a sole American citizen either way. In fact, if you think about it, it's more vital for DA because they have less time from pro-rec to final select. I got the okay for my final select on March 9th 2009 and reported to OCS on March 15th. BDCP you have a semester to a couple of years to get that part sorted.