• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Drug waivers for USMC higher than other services? Why?

vulcanx

Banned
I have been talking to an OSO and he asked me the substance question. I felt obligated to tell the truth out of instinct because of the way I was raised. I have been wondering If I made a mistake. I am looking at Marine Corps Aviation pretty seriously but I feel like I shot myself in the foot right from the start. Is this put on some kind of permanent record?
Although I know people who have lied to the docs their whole lives to get through the physical (flat feet, for example), it is a good sign that you were compelled to tell the truth.

I admitted to prior pot use and feel good knowing that if I have to have a TS polygraph, I will be able to tell the truth there too.

It shouldn't hurt you in the long run as long as you never use again.

iceman87

No, you'll find that integrity is a large component of being a Marine and an Officer. You did the right thing.

Nice name, btw.
My Dad always tought me that integrity was everything. He was a Marine for 21 years.
Thanks. my last name is Snow. I thought iceman would be fitting.

Although I know people who have lied to the docs their whole lives to get through the physical (flat feet, for example), it is a good sign that you were compelled to tell the truth.

I admitted to prior pot use and feel good knowing that if I have to have a TS polygraph, I will be able to tell the truth there too.

It shouldn't hurt you in the long run as long as you never use again.

That will not be a problem as bad as I want to be a Marine.

Gaucho

Unless you attended one of the Academies (and given that the Marines don't have one, yes I know they pull from Annapolis... and even then...), it's more than likely that in College, in this day and age, you smoked some.

I think it's good that they have loosened their standards on this. If the Marines really want to best of the best, then they need people who studied lots of different things at lots of different places.

I went to a top-tier private College and I can honestly say I didn't know a single person who after four years had not smoked at least once.

Like tattoos and body piercings, it's becoming the norm.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless you attended one of the Academies......I think it's good that they have loosened their standards on this. If the Marines really want to best of the best, then they need people who studied lots of different things at lots of different places. I went to a top-tier private College and I can honestly say I didn't know a single person who after four years had not smoked at least once. Like tattoos and body piercings, it's becoming the norm.

Welcome to the forum, nice first post......Cheech. :confused:

P.S. Just so you know, the services are becoming more restrictive of tatoos lately, especially the Marines.

Gaucho

Welcome to the forum, nice first post......Cheech. :confused:

P.S. Just so you know, the services are becoming more restrictive of tatoos lately, especially the Marines.

Shouldn't be a problem, I have no tattoos or piercings. I'm just calling it like I see it.

I think the idea of "responsible marijuana use" has permeated so deeply into our society that even the straight A, clean-cut, not-potheads have lost their stigma against it.

I'm certainly not, nor have I ever been a "Cheech", but I'm not going to lie about anything, especially relating to the USMC.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Unless you attended one of the Academies (and given that the Marines don't have one, yes I know they pull from Annapolis... and even then...), it's more than likely that in College, in this day and age, you smoked some.

I think it's good that they have loosened their standards on this. If the Marines really want to best of the best, then they need people who studied lots of different things at lots of different places.

I went to a top-tier private College and I can honestly say I didn't know a single person who after four years had not smoked at least once.

Like tattoos and body piercings, it's becoming the norm.

Man do I have loads of confidence in that school's ability to crank out outstanding citizens. :eek:

Gaucho

Man do I have loads of confidence in that school's ability to crank out outstanding citizens. :eek:

I don't want to start any arguments here, but it is a cultural phenomenon. Our last, currant and future presidents have all admitted to doing it. That doesn't justify it, but it does tell us that for most it's a very brief stage in their life that they quickly move beyond.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I don't want to start any arguments here, but it is a cultural phenomenon. Our last, currant and future presidents have all admitted to doing it. That doesn't justify it, but it does tell us that for most it's a very brief stage in their life that they quickly move beyond.

What's that smell? Bullshit.

Don't make a statement like that based on your narrow reality. You're basically saying that more than 50% percent of the population of this country has smoked some pot in their life. I'll be straight with you Cheech....I don't believe it. Maybe I live in my own little fantasy land but to think that for MOST "trying pot is a brief stage in their life" seems to me like you're reaching for air when there is none.

I don't know where you get this cultural phenomenon idea from, especially without any evidence to back it up.

vulcanx

Banned

Don't make a statement like that based on your narrow reality. You're basically saying that more than 50% percent of the population of this country has smoked some pot in their life. I'll be straight with you Cheech....I don't believe it. Maybe I live in my own little fantasy land but to think that for MOST "trying pot is a brief stage in their life" seems to me like you're reaching for air when there is none.

I don't know where you get this cultural phenomenon idea from, especially without any evidence to back it up.
Useful link:

http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/publications/factsht/druguse/

I'm in CA, so weed is everywhere. In NorCal, if you don't smoke, you're weird. People smoke around my house every night. However, I don't do it anymore because I made a commitment.

I don't see it as a big deal and think it would be wise for the federal government to ease its restrictions on it.

Gaucho

I'm not sure about the hostile reaction, but there was a big study put out in 2002 that had 48% of Americans had smoked pot. It had a staggering 20% (1 in 5) by the time they were 15. And over 50% (about 54%) of 21 year olds.

No need to call names. I'm sure it varies by region and demographic, but it is a changing fact of mainstream American culture. I think it's scary how prevalent it is amongst high-school kids.

No need to shoot the messenger. I'm not advocating anything, just pointing to the fact that use has increased exponentially over the last 20 years, especially with the younger segment of the population.

I agree with what has been said by others, the Marines are being more honest.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
For better or worse, as much as I hate to say it, Gaucho (does he wear gaucho pants, perhaps?) is right. In my fraternity in college 13 years ago, I was probably one of 5 or so non-tokers out of 60 guys. I certainly have no illusions that pot smoking is less prevalent now.

I think that those lacking tattoos at 20-22 years-old are probably in the minority, as well. Body-piercings? Well, guys with body piercings are muy ghey, to use some Spanish lingo (as Chris Rock says "Girl with a tongue ring? She'll probably suck your dick. Guy with a tongue ring? He'll probably suck your dick.).

As to why Marines are 'fessing up to toking up? A lot probably has to do with different standards for waivers, as some others have said. The Marine Corps is very lenient on the small infractions, but much harder on the big ones. I don't think it has to do with the inherent integrity of the 18-year-olds in the recruiters' offices, as much as I'd like to say it did.

Gaucho

For better or worse, as much as I hate to say it, Gaucho (does he wear gaucho pants, perhaps?) is right. In my fraternity in college 13 years ago, I was probably one of 5 or so non-tokers out of 60 guys. I certainly have no illusions that pot smoking is less prevalent now.

I think that those lacking tattoos at 20-22 years-old are probably in the minority, as well. Body-piercings? Well, guys with body piercings are muy ghey, to use some Spanish lingo (as Chris Rock says "Girl with a tongue ring? She'll probably suck your dick. Guy with a tongue ring? He'll probably suck your dick.).

As to why Marines are 'fessing up to toking up? A lot probably has to do with different standards for waivers, as some others have said. The Marine Corps is very lenient on the small infractions, but much harder on the big ones. I don't think it has to do with the inherent integrity of the 18-year-olds in the recruiters' offices, as much as I'd like to say it did.

I hate to say it and see it to0. At some point the decriminalization of it may have to impact the Corp's policy on this issue. There are now a handful of states where it is not illegal. However, the policy of the USMC has nothing to do with the legality of it. Very few places is it illegal to smoke. Technically possession is what's illegal, or operating an vehicle while intoxicated. So already, the policy is out of step with the law. Which is fine, and the USMC's prerogative.

Still, I'd give it another 10 years or so, and the only people eligible will those who knew they wanted to join before they were 15... the statistics speak for themselves.

In Jr. High, I recall pot was easier get a hold of to those who wanted it than alcohol.

MasterBates

Just remember, what is "normal" where you live is not neccescarily normal everywhere.

While I am not opposed to them legalizing pot, I also don't want someone who is stoned setting my catapult or paking my chute.

Gaucho

Just remember, what is "normal" where you live is not neccescarily normal everywhere.

While I am not opposed to them legalizing pot, I also don't want someone who is stoned setting my catapult or paking my chute.

Absolutely. Even were it legal, that would be the same as doing it drunk... I assume you wouldn't want that either.