• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

dropping run time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunrunner

dont really know...just thought it would be a catchy way to remind one to not be complacent...i guess i could come up with 6 others...well
drinking soda, eating too much fast food, over/ under training, running in thunderstorms, running during rushhour traffic, and overestimating one's running abilites

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
holy crap, 45 min? i don't know about that, that's like a suicide run for me, ahahaha. question about breathing... i thought it was in with mouth, and exhale with both nose and mouth... also, when you say 2 mins of rest, is it resting for 2 while walking (like a cool down), or just complete stop? see, you did xc, but i did 55m dash, high jump, and long jump in hs, hahahaha, you and i are completely different in speed-wise :)

Robert_F

I inhale with the nose, and I found if you can concentrate on your breathing while inhaling through the nose and out through the mouth, then that helps my endurance alot.

kevin

not a pro runner, but with stuff like exercise, etc i say go to the god of the source....ie, for running = the kenyans. they do a lot of interval work (like has been beaten on above). however, the one thing that sets them apart is their stride length. obviously, the longer your stride, the greater distance you travel in a set time. unfortunately, a)this takes more energy and most importantly b)you have to run at your normal stride, otherwise you create a "braking" effect that ultimately slows you down. so the solution (according to the kenyans who have natural strides that look like they're sprinting) hill work is the key. you find a steep hill (50 to 100yds) and alternate surging up the hill (sprint as fast as possible) with bounding (getting as much "air time" as possible). start with 3 and 3 and then add one every week (no more than once a week). it also has the desired effect of increasing your vo2 max (like interval training). but as always, what works for one may be a detriment to another.

as for pu, try doing your pu after you've benched. another thing is to use bands on some of your bench work to increase your speed. this coming from powerlifting, but speed is every bit as important for power (which is what "strength" really is) as is force. (physics P=F/t). if you increase your speed, you'll find that pu become more effortless, hence you can do them so easily that endurance doesnt really come into play. ok, i'll shut up now, just my $.02 (well maybe $.04).

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
ah yes... i remember the hills from football 2 years ago.. the 100 deg weather, with crazy fb coaches screaming at you, it just doesn't get any better! yeah, i was thinking about doing hills, b/c that helped me a lot with "burst" power when doing my sprints. thanx for reminding me of it!

Buzz

Does anyone here have any good advice for what running shoes to buy? I've looked at several articles on runnersworld.com and about.com, but I still haven't decided. I've traditionally run in Nikes, but any personal opinions would be greatly valued.
Thanks!
-Buzz

jlinscott

I sometimes take my old shoes in to the running store with me and there is usually some one there who will evaluate your shoes and feet and be able to recommend a good pair for you.

Buzz

Thanks for the reply Lis4Lady.

I run primarily on the indoor track/treadmill or on gravel/loose dirt outdoors. I also find that my Nikes have worn out pretty quick (the soles start peeling off). I haven't tried Saucony or NB, but I've heard a lot of good things about New Balance.
I also have pretty good biomechanics- no overpronation to speak of.
Any other opinions/preferences out there?

Thanks!
-Buzz

Buzz

Great idea, jlinscott. I'll have to do that when I go into the store later this week.

Thanks!
-Buzz

jlinscott

Another idea is if you already know your running style, foot type, and have some idea about what kind of running shoe you want (motion control, stability, etc.) you might want to go to any service's exchange and go with there recommended shoes for foot type and running style. At the bigger exchanges they usually have a bulletin board near the running shoes that discusses the basic types of running shoes and then they usually mark the different shoes with a sticker indicating what kind they are. I bought my last shoes like this and I am pretty happy with the shoe they recommended for me.

-Jason

submariner8

I tradionally have used Nike and Addias, but I bought a pair of New Balance 716's a few weeks ago, and they are great. The best thing about NB is they are the only shoe I could find that actually sells different widths, which is perfect for me because my feet are not just really long, they are also a bit wide.

The_Goat

I sell shoes and New Balance is the best brand that we carry. I find that many people come into my store looking for New Balance because their doctor prescribed them to help with problem feet. Hopefully you don't have foot problems but you get the piont. I have also heard that they give you NB 716's at OCS does anyone know if tis is true?

La Tech Aviator

my 2cents----> I downloaded some cadence songs from KaZaa, and listen to them while I am running, It helps to keep pain and other stuff that may make me want to quit out of my mind.

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
It could be your abs...believe it or not your abs are taxed quite a bit over distance...So if your abs are weak or fatigued the stress is transferred to your lower back.

Also make sure you stretch your hip flexors/obliques by laying flat and crossing on leg, bent at the knee across to the opposite side. Keep your upper back as flat as possible and feel the upper leg and lower back stretch out.

Status
Not open for further replies.