• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dropping Army ROTC contract for Marine Air Contract?

justin.chebahta

Thanks for the info Ryan and everybody else. I'm going to contact an OSO today and go ahead and give my personnel at school the courtesy of knowing that I am seriously considering leaving the program. I'll go ahead and post anymore speed bumps I run into or any progress I make that might be useful to future cadets who are thinking of attempting something similar.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I suppose I'd probably be fairly bitter as well if it took twice as long to win the same amount of championships...

justin.chebahta

Looks like the thread has been stickied but I figured I would post just to update anyone who cares about my progress to becoming a pilot.

Well I took a gamble and decided to stick out my ROTC commitment and received my bars this past May. Unfortunately, there was only 1 commissioned officer pilot slot in my state for the year and my friend received it (not bitter about it. He actually had already been comissioned last year and waiting for ONE WHOLE YEAR, he deserved it!) so I re-branched into armor.

Would it be possible later down the road to try flying (army, even navy or marines?) after my service obligation (I'll be 29 by then)? From what I've read, interservice transfers are damn near impossible if you're trying to LEAVE the army...it seems to be a lot easier to move TO the army.

I was doing some more research online and began wondering...would it be possible to rescind my commission and become a warrant officer and try for flight school that way? I know of a pilot who did just that but I have since lost contact with him. I would appreciate if anybody has an info on this and would either post it or PM it to me.

Thanks to everyone again, this site has been a great resource!

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Looks like the thread has been stickied but I figured I would post just to update anyone who cares about my progress to becoming a pilot.

Well I took a gamble and decided to stick out my ROTC commitment and received my bars this past May. Unfortunately, there was only 1 commissioned officer pilot slot in my state for the year and my friend received it (not bitter about it. He actually had already been comissioned last year and waiting for ONE WHOLE YEAR, he deserved it!) so I re-branched into armor.

Would it be possible later down the road to try flying (army, even navy or marines?) after my service obligation (I'll be 29 by then)? From what I've read, interservice transfers are damn near impossible if you're trying to LEAVE the army...it seems to be a lot easier to move TO the army.

I was doing some more research online and began wondering...would it be possible to rescind my commission and become a warrant officer and try for flight school that way? I know of a pilot who did just that but I have since lost contact with him. I would appreciate if anybody has an info on this and would either post it or PM it to me.

Thanks to everyone again, this site has been a great resource!

Wow. This is an old thread. Chewie, I have heard of Army Officers who were at the end of their commitment turn Warrant. However, they were already aviators and were seeking to continue flying since most O-3s and up do little. I'm willing to bet its possible; I mean if it were me I would rather have a good Officer turn Warrant than lose him/her completely... Though it is the Army we're speaking of so who knows? :icon_tong

And since were updating our status. I'm currently in IFS down in Pensacola. :)

justin.chebahta

Congrats Ryan, glad to see you were able to work out of ROTC and into a pilot slot!

I'm in communication with an aviation brigade commander here in my state; he's trying to work something out. I"ll keep you guys posted so if someone happens to come along in a similiar situation they can learn from my journey.