• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dropped from NROTC

Buster95

pilot
Hey guys, this is my first post after trying to use the search feature.

I was enrolled in NROTC as a college programmer for 2 years until recently getting dropped due to not picking up advanced standing. I was going in to the application process with a pretty positive mindset, since my overall package looked ideal.

I'm pretty down after finding out the results, but I'm still determined to join the navy as an officer.

My question is; does having prior experience in NROTC hurt your OCS application? Or will it help?

Duc'-guy25

pilot
I can't speak for Navy OCS, but theres a number of Marine Officers I know that did Army, Navy, or Air Force ROTC and were in a similar situation that ended up commissioning through Marine OCS. A Navy Officer Recruiter is definitely going to know more than I though, so I'll refer you to them.

aznp_21

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago. I don't know if not getting Advanced Standing helps or hurts, but it couldn't have hurt too much for me to get picked up for OCS back in April. So it's not impossible. I know that not getting Advanced Standing helped me, personally, because it gave me more motivation to make sure I submitted the best OCS application that I possibly could.

Just don't give up and do everything you can in your final two years to improve on the areas you feel hurt you for Advanced Standing and to submit the best OCS application you can.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
You have a very valid reason for not continuing NROTC and applying for OCS. I personally think you can tie the NROTC experience into your application in a positive manner... And even get letters of recommendation from the Unit Staff provided you weren't a shitbird.

I've seen guys get rolled from Marine Corps OCS for injuries get picked up by Navy OCS and Army WOFT. I've also seen a guy who DOR'd from Navy OCS get picked up for Navy ODS.

I wouldn't sweat it. Just spin it positively.

Buster95

pilot
I appreciate the feedback. The news was definitely a hurt to the ego and a major roadblock on where I want to be.

But it makes me more motivated on getting into OCS. I'll be talking to the unit staff and the officer recruiter in a couple of days to get some more information.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While your NROTC experience may give you a slight advantage at the board because you now have limited military exposure and understand the lingo. If you are picked up for OCS, your NROTC experience will help you survive OCS (Military bearing, uniforms, polishing shoes, marching, etc). Good luck!

exNavyOffRec

I appreciate the feedback. The news was definitely a hurt to the ego and a major roadblock on where I want to be.

But it makes me more motivated on getting into OCS. I'll be talking to the unit staff and the officer recruiter in a couple of days to get some more information.

It shouldn't hurt it isn't like you did something wrong, they just had better candidates, how is your GPA and what is your degree going to be in? What do you want to do?

Buster95

pilot
When I submitted my application, my gpa was hovering at a 3.07 with a major in business. I completed calc 1 and 2, since it would look better for the board. I maxed my fitness test in all areas besides running, which I still did pretty well in.

Aptitude wise, they made me a squad leader and platoon sgt. in the two years I was there. I also helped out with orientation for incoming freshman one summer, acting as a squad leader/mentor.

If it matters, I was only late to something once, which was during my freshman year.

I'm applying for NFO, pilot, SWO.

exNavyOffRec

When I submitted my application, my gpa was hovering at a 3.07 with a major in business. I completed calc 1 and 2, since it would look better for the board. I maxed my fitness test in all areas besides running, which I still did pretty well in.

Aptitude wise, they made me a squad leader and platoon sgt. in the two years I was there. I also helped out with orientation for incoming freshman one summer, acting as a squad leader/mentor.

If it matters, I was only late to something once, which was during my freshman year.

I'm applying for NFO, pilot, SWO.

take the ASTB if you do well you should be fine.

SWO can't be third, they will not send you to board.

Buster95

pilot
take the ASTB if you do well you should be fine.

SWO can't be third, they will not send you to board.
Awesome, thank you for the last tip! Didn't even know about that.

I did take the astb before and scored 46OAR and a 5/7/5. For ROTC, that would've gotten me something, but I know OCS is a whole different ball game when it comes to being competitive.