• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

driving to OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
I've been told that if you drive to Pensacola, the Navy will reimburse you some amount of money per mile. Does anyone know how this works? Or when the Navy will reimburse you? thanks,
-Greg

jlinscott

Check out the following link for more information on per diem and travel allowances: http://www.dtic.mil/perdiem/rateinfo.html

If you click on the mileage rates link you can see the current rate. Also click on the per diem information for stuff on how much you will be reimbursed for hotel and food.

When I have used my POV for transfering in the past, I usually come out with more than I put into it.

Don't forget to try to stay on base either in lodging or the BEQ while you travel from state to state (you will save more on the hotel). Also save all your reciepts (gas, hotel, food). I don't know if this is still required but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Jason

airgreg

pilot
Thanks Jason. Appreciate the help. The way I read that was for driving you get $0.36/mile. Then, in addition to that, you get a certain amount for food and lodging each day depending on where you are in the country. So I need to save all my food/lodging receipts to get that per diem money???
-Greg

jlinscott

All that I can tell you for sure (haven't actually read the new requirements) is that I had to turn in all my receipts for food, gas, and lodging when I filled out my travel claim forms (you will fill this out at OCS). However, if I remember correctly, I was given the per diem rate even though my receipts didn't necessarily add up to the per diem rate. For example, if I was traveling from California to Colorado on PCS orders, I think I was getting $125 a day for per diem regardless of how much I actually spent. I can tell you that it does work slightly different for TDY orders (those are the type of orders you will have when you travel to OCS).

Sorry to give you such a vague answer. Hopefully, someone who has done it more recently can shed more light.

-Jason

GTGRAY

I just separated from PSD Pensacola as a DK2 where I processed travel claims and can tell you that when I left you were paid .15/ mile plus 50 dollars for every 350 miles of travel. Of course it all depends on what your orders state, if they direct the use of Air then you would only get reimbursed the cost the government would have incurred had they purchased a plane ticket. The higher mileage rate applies to TAD not TDY....hope this helps.

jlinscott

Thanks for the clarification DK2. 'airgreg' I should clarify my earlier post with a disclaimer. When I did that PCS transfer it was with dependents. That may have made a difference in how much I was getting for per diem.

-Jason

drehnberg

I heard that there is no reimbursement for travel or moving expenses to OCS if it is the first place you have been stationed. Is this true?

Dave

airgreg

pilot
GTGRAY, could you please clarify what TAD and TDY mean? Thanks for the info.

Dave,
There is no moving reimbursement to OCS because it's considered a temporary duty station. They'll only pay to move you to permanent stations. However, my recruiter has given me the choice of flying (navy pays for tickets) or driving with some sort of travel reimbursement but he wasn't too specific about how much.
-Greg

hawkdocfmf

When it comes down to it drive regardless if you get some money back or not. TRUST ME. I decided I didnt want to make the cross country trip from my previous command to Pensacola due to having to make another trip and then eventually move. It was a huge mistake, you need to have a car there.

airgreg

pilot
Hawkdocfmf,
I agree, I'm definitely driving. I'm trying to find out how much money I'll have to play with on the way there. Vegas and New Orleans are on the way for me!
-Greg

GTGRAY

TAD is Temporary Additional Duty. This is when you are already attached, permanently, to a command and they wish to send you to a school, conference, etc...TDY is when you are in between permanent duty stations and you are at a school for less then 20 weeks. If I remember correctly most OCS orders were funded for POV, however, read your orders to ensure they don't direct Government Air/Government procured air as you would only recieve the amount of a Gov't plane ticket from your originating location to Pensacola. It would seem that after reading all of the journals of people at OCS that it would be beneficial to have a vehicle there regardless of reimbursement however....Good Luck

Hartman

Yeah, there's some lady that will come in and explain it all to you week 1 of OCS. But I hope you don't have any questions on anything. She's not the nicest lady you'll ever meet. She'll explain it once and begin taking up your paperwork. If you're still confused, you have to turn it in anyways. You're really going to love OCS.

GTGRAY

You wouldn't be very nice if you had to sit in that room with all of the OCS students and their vomitous odor. When the new OCS students came in the whole PSD would stink...

Hartman

Right you are. I forgot how bad I stunk during poopie week. The dried up plate of spaghetti on my jump suit couldn't have helped either.

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
As long as you are one of the poopies you don't even notice yourself, at least not until it is time to put the poopy greens back on the next morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.