• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Driving Records!

Prospect

How imperative is a clean driving records in terms of getting into Intelligence?

I've had a ridiculous thirst for adrenaline ever since I turned eighteen, and have a pretty long driving record on account of it. I have always had fast cars and street bikes, and unfortunately two stops for me resulted in arrests. My first was when I was nineteen (I'm twenty-seven now) for Driving While License Suspended, and then last year I was fallaciously arrested for Street Racing, where the wonderful Officer slapped a Resisting Arrest charge on there for me, too. (I'm 102 lbs and female!) Now the Street Racing charge was so ludicrous that it got dropped all together, but I had to compete an MIP program for the second charge to keep my record clean. I know, however, that the military will not see that as "clean."

I have done a complete 180 and changed my entire life in the last year, and still have two years (to be clean) before I can join on account of finishing up my Bachelor's Degree to join as an Officer. I'm extremely intelligent and had too high of an IQ to continue studying at an art school, so my change of heart has led me to the military in order to advance in something a lot more sustainable. But a lot of friends tell me I'll never get into Intelligence on account of my driving record.

Does anyone know the validity of their statements?

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
I would question why you did not learn your lesson at 19 with the first arrest. You stated the second was just last year (at age 26) so that means you just kept on doing stupid stuff. That will show a continued lack of maturity. Also, the second arrest is cannot be considered a traffic offense anymore since you stated that the Street Racing charge was dropped. So, you are really dealing with a misdeamenor (I hope) criminal record for Resisting Arrest.

All you can do is apply and see where the chips fall. Pretty much anything can be waivered, but in this economy, the military has the pick of many applicants. The best hope is to be honest and not hide anything. Trying to whitewash anything will hurt your chances.

BTW, I drive fast cars as well but I don't street race. Racing belongs on the track not on the streets.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
How imperative is a clean driving records in terms of getting into Intelligence?

I've had a ridiculous thirst for adrenaline ever since I turned eighteen, and have a pretty long driving record on account of it. I have always had fast cars and street bikes, and unfortunately two stops for me resulted in arrests. My first was when I was nineteen (I'm twenty-seven now) for Driving While License Suspended, and then last year I was fallaciously arrested for Street Racing, where the wonderful Officer slapped a Resisting Arrest charge on there for me, too. (I'm 102 lbs and female!) Now the Street Racing charge was so ludicrous that it got dropped all together, but I had to compete an MIP program for the second charge to keep my record clean. I know, however, that the military will not see that as "clean."

I have done a complete 180 and changed my entire life in the last year, and still have two years (to be clean) before I can join on account of finishing up my Bachelor's Degree to join as an Officer. I'm extremely intelligent and had too high of an IQ to continue studying at an art school, so my change of heart has led me to the military in order to advance in something a lot more sustainable. But a lot of friends tell me I'll never get into Intelligence on account of my driving record.

Does anyone know the validity of their statements?

HA! Didn't see that one coming.

Prospect

I would question why you did not learn your lesson at 19 with the first arrest. You stated the second was just last year (at age 26) so that means you just kept on doing stupid stuff.

BTW, I drive fast cars as well but I don't street race. Racing belongs on the track not on the streets.

I said "I was fallaciously arrested for Street Racing," furthermore "the Street Racing charge was so ludicrous that it got dropped all together." I didn't feel the need to get into the entire story, but I wasn't street racing what-so-ever, which the judge saw, hence it being dropped. Why would I be racing my car when I've got street bikes? We've got a track here in Orlando, and you're absolutely right, the racing belongs there.

When you drive modified cars and bikes, the chips never do fall in your favor when it comes to law enforcement. That's why I questioned the validity of being told my driving record will hinder my abilities to be taken seriously. I can understand why it would, but don't want to waste my time if a driving record holds more importance than my intelligence level...

In any case, thanks for the input.

81montedriver

pilot
When you drive modified cars and bikes, the chips never do fall in your favor when it comes to law enforcement. .

Are you saying that they falsely pulled you over just because you drive modified cars and bikes? I understand they do stand out but how they are being driven determines what law enforcement does not just the presence of the car.

Like Steve G said the fact that your two arrests were seven years apart will raise some eyebrows. It doesn't mean that you were taking part in immature behavior necessarily, but when a board looks at your overall package, all they have is paper with information. They can raise any possible conclusion from those facts, but it never hurts to try. Good luck.

Prospect

Basically, I was at a red light in the middle lane with a white Honda Accord to my right. As the light turned green, I tried to get in front of him to enter the gas station on the right side of the road, as there were cars behind him. HE must have thought I was trying to race him, so of course he accelerated, which blocked me now from getting over. I merely let off and was able to fit in behind him now since he jumped so far ahead, and I made my right hand turn into the gas station.

I was already out of my car and had my card swiped at the pump before the Officer pulled up behind me, lights flashing. It was then that I learned to never try to explain yourself, or you will recieve a Resisting Arrest charge in return. But what I was saying was that it was not by chance that he pulled me over instead of some white sedan. No cop is trying to hear you out when you drive any sort of modified car. That's why it is now for sale. :)

Carsongamer

It is in my experience that "USUALLY" a policeman isn't just out to get anyone. Are you sure when you tried to explain yourself you did it in a appropriate and non-offensive manner?

I have a few citations due to Alcohol on my record, and they are recent so i'm trying to keep my record clean from here on out. Your situation is tough, but the biggest thing from what I can tell, is that the board is going to want to see and BELIEVE that you are a changed person. It is indeed harder to explain that if you have two charges in a similar offense that are spread so many years apart.

My advice would be to sell the bikes and buy a Geo Metro, it's hard to speed in one of those!

Prospect

My explantation probably did come out in an irritated haste as I let him get the best of me... it was all such a blur, but nonetheless a mistake on my part that I will never relive. I'm not sure what else to do in order to prove that has changed besides the obvious law abiding driving, having a high GPA (in criminal justice, even) and I also do volunteer work... I'm also planning on marrying my boyfriend, should he choose to go in with me, who's family has an extensive military background. I'm told that's what it will probably take to get me in... though I'd hate to rely on that!

Lucy

Another factor would also likely to be the number of tickets. If the arrests are coupled with a slew of tickets that also won't be good. As it sounds like this might be the case, seeing as you already had a suspended license. Sends a big signal of not thinking laws apply to you. I would make every effort to avoid any additional law violations in any form.

good luck

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
prospect said:
... and had too high of an IQ to continue studying at an art school
I wasn't aware they'd kick you out for that.

prospect said:
But a lot of friends tell me I'll never get into Intelligence on account of my driving record. Does anyone know the validity of their statements?
Who are these friends? Intel detailers or art school students?

prospect said:
I personally know a handful of guys in the Intel community with stuff ranging from tickets to DUIs. I am not, however, an Intel detailer (or art school student.)

To quote Gretsky, "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take." If you want to be an Intel Officer, then get after it. Build some references and don't make life-changing decisions based on the conjecture of your friends who are probably not "in the know." Get in touch with an officer recruiter, work on your GPA, do some volunteer work, and be able to show up with more good than bad on your plate. You've got two years to build your case.
Good luck!

Prospect

Wait, who said I got kicked out of art school? I just left to pursue criminology on my own terms.
I only speak to friends who have been in as well; why would I speak to art students about the military? My brother is in the ARMY (special ops) and my co-worker was a USMC recruiter - I'd say they are pretty legitimate sources, yet neither were or are in the NAVY. I know you're right though, and I just have to work on adding some good to my record and building a case while I get my degree. Completing it with a 4.0 is my aim!

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Getting selected to become an officer, or to receive a security clearance for that matter is based on the whole person concept. (i.e.. grades, criminal history, evaluations, medical, personal statement, school activities etc..)Just be honest the whole time, throw everything you have at the process, and the board will let you know whether or not you suck.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
prospect said:
Wait, who said I got kicked out of art school?
I was just razzing you. It was warranted when you started with the "extremely intelligent" and "too high IQ" part.

What I was shooting at, was don't let anyone tell you no. If you want it, go get it. The friends you sourced for information are helpful, but none of them are the final signature on your package.

Brunes

pilot
The 100% of the shots you don't take thing is true. But I wouldn't get your hopes up...The military is cutting back so they can find folks who have demonstrated better judgment than you throughout their lives.

PS- I drive a fast street bike on the roads and track and a modified scion tC...and I have no problems with the police. Cops don't just pull you over for having a fast/worked car...They pull you over cause you make yourseelf a target.

Prospect

I was just razzing you. It was warranted when you started with the "extremely intelligent" and "too high IQ" part.

Oh, I concluded as much, haha. But as soon as I ever mention being a "film graduate," people automatically assume I didn't have the aptitude to make it into anything better, so I just figured I'd stop that assumption before it started. I've been treated with such disdain my entire life, but I don't think that warrants shame on my part... ;)

I drive a fast street bike on the roads and track and a modified scion tC...and I have no problems with the police. Cops don't just pull you over for having a fast/worked car...They pull you over cause you make yourseelf a target.

...a "modified tC?" Well, unless you're speaking of modification in terms of steering wheel covers and shift knobs, any modified car is a "target." Especially when it's actually a car that was built for racing... if you can drive a modified Toyota Supra and not look like a target, then maybe you would be interested in buying mine, since I evidently don't do such a great job at it. :)