• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DRIFIRE clothing

H20man

Drill baby drill!
When I was at NITE Lab the other day I noticed some DRIFIRE t-shirts and fire hoods hanging up in the class room, with a message posted next to them. It detailed the clothing and how it was approved by NAVAIR.

The t-shirts had an interesting feel to them and I really could'nt tell if they were comfortable or not.

Has anyone worn any of their t-shirts or other garmets?

In the message it noted something about mention NAVAIR and get a discount. I can track down the message if anyone would like some more info.

Here is their website.
http://www.drifire.com/index.cfm/Performance/Military/Navy

Pags

N/A
pilot
website says they're developing a flight suit based on the material...neat. After a couple of days of sweating through my boots, any little bit will help.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
When I was at NITE Lab the other day I noticed some DRIFIRE t-shirts and fire hoods hanging up in the class room, with a message posted next to them. It detailed the clothing and how it was approved by NAVAIR.

The t-shirts had an interesting feel to them and I really could'nt tell if they were comfortable or not.

Has anyone worn any of their t-shirts or other garmets?

In the message it noted something about mention NAVAIR and get a discount. I can track down the message if anyone would like some more info.

Here is their website.
http://www.drifire.com/index.cfm/Performance/Military/Navy

We got issued some of the DRIFIRE t-shirts. As far as wicking goes, better than cotton, not as good as the true polypro. Since they were free (my favorite price!), I wore them as a base layer while in Afghanistan this past winter. They are kind of on the thin side, though.

You're right about the feel - different, kind of slightly coarse. I don't wear them as a workout/PT gear layer, but would wear them rather than polypro when flying. But I don't have to worry about that anymore... <tear drips onto cheek...> Should probably change my name to EarthPigSpy, and go hang out on BoogerEaterWarriors.... :(

trvsmrtn

pilot
I ordered several pairs of tshirts and underwear for our squadron and sent some them to Bahrain for the aircrews to test out. I haven't heard back from those guys, but I love the shirt so far flying around norfolk.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
question wrt undergarments. They say 100% cotton, what about wool? I would imagine that it's fine, but not certain. I tend to use smartwool undergarments, and absolutely love them. They're a little pricey, but absolutely awesome.

Pags

N/A
pilot
As a follow up, I ordered some drifire shirts and underwear and it works pretty well in the heat out here. It does tend to get my get my flightsuit pretty soaked, but it gets the sweat away from my skin, which is nice.

KBayDog

Our Flight Equipment shop issued us a few sets of the Dri Fire shirts (long and short sleeve) and drawers (long and short). I wore the short sleeve shirt and shorts during our summer deployment in 5th Fleet, and they seemed to wick the moisture a little better than cotton.

However, they also seemed to retain the moisture just as well as the cotton variety. (The Nomex bag, helmet, vest, etc. - combined with the Gulf's summer temps and humidity - probably negated any DriFire benefits.) Overall, the price was right, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy more.

Break, break:

Pags - Had no clue you were in Bahrain. We just left there not too long ago; we should have gotten together for a beer. Oh well, I'm sure there will be a next time.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Our Flight Equipment shop issued us a few sets of the Dri Fire shirts (long and short sleeve) and drawers (long and short). I wore the short sleeve shirt and shorts during our summer deployment in 5th Fleet, and they seemed to wick the moisture a little better than cotton.

However, they also seemed to retain the moisture just as well as the cotton variety. (The Nomex bag, helmet, vest, etc. - combined with the Gulf's summer temps and humidity - probably negated any DriFire benefits.) Overall, the price was right, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy more.

Break, break:

Pags - Had no clue you were in Bahrain. We just left there not too long ago; we should have gotten together for a beer. Oh well, I'm sure there will be a next time.

Yeah, there's a limit to the benefit that you can realize from it since you're still wearing a cotton flightsuit with all the gear on top of it that soaks up everything the drifire wicks. With normal shirts I was starting to get prickly heat, but haven't had anything like that with the drifire. Plus, it tends to keep my nethers a little less swampy, so that counts for something.

I can only guess that you're on the big grey boat that was just here, overrunning my normally sedate freedom souq. Ramadan is a shitty time of year to visit Bahrain. Not sure if you guys are coming back this way, but if you do, drop me a line....you can come swim in our pool.

cisforsmasher

pilot
question wrt undergarments. They say 100% cotton, what about wool? I would imagine that it's fine, but not certain. I tend to use smartwool undergarments, and absolutely love them. They're a little pricey, but absolutely awesome.

As I understand it, it is more important to avoid the synthetics such as polyester and spandex. You should be fine with wool. I also have a pair of bamboo boxers that are 100% natural and have some moisture wicking properties. It does ease my swampass a bit. Too bad they cost about $20 a pair. Isnt smartwool suppose to do the same?

Pags

N/A
pilot
As I understand it, it is more important to avoid the synthetics such as polyester and spandex. You should be fine with wool. I also have a pair of bamboo boxers that are 100% natural and have some moisture wicking properties. It does ease my swampass a bit. Too bad they cost about $20 a pair. Isnt smartwool suppose to do the same?

Masher is correct, the big deal is to avoid synthetics (like under armor) that are going to melt to you in the event of a fire.

I've never used any smartwool undergarmets, but their socks are the shit. I wear them all the time.

Bamboo boxers? Seems like they might be a tad stiff :)

KBayDog

I can only guess that you're on the big grey boat that was just here, overrunning my normally sedate freedom souq. Ramadan is a shitty time of year to visit Bahrain. Not sure if you guys are coming back this way, but if you do, drop me a line....you can come swim in our pool.

Yeah, I was on the Big Grey Boat. You couldn't miss me - I was the one in the Freedom Souq with the long pants, the collared shirt, and the short haircut.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yeah, I was on the Big Grey Boat. You couldn't miss me - I was the one in the Freedom Souq with the long pants, the collared shirt, and the short haircut.

Huh, must of missed you, i didn't see anyone who looked like that the entire week. Now, this collared shirt, was it conservative in nature? And the pants, did you use a leather web belt to hold them up?

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Huh, must of missed you, i didn't see anyone who looked like that the entire week. Now, this collared shirt, was it conservative in nature? And the pants, did you use a leather web belt to hold them up?

"Yut yut Ooh-Rah devil daaaaawg?"

KBayDog

Yes, that was me.

How did you know?