• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DPEP Program

Hector Torres

htorrespr
Hello All,

It's been a while since I posted but I had some questions and was hoping someone here can help guide me.

I tried to join the Navy Reserves via DCO but unfortunately was not selected. Due to reasons that I won't get into, I did not try again after SEP2012. I am now 39 and at my last shot of joining. I have decided to give it a try as an enlisted via the DPEP program. I have spoken to a recruiter and have been told that it can be done. I don't turn 40 until SEP2015 so I have SOME time. In short, I can possibly go in as an E5 or E6; looking at the IT rate since that is the field I work in.

My questions are:

Has anyone join the Reserves via DPEP?
If so, how is the process?
How long did it take from start to finish?
Are there any issues that I need to be aware of?

Has anyone join the Reserves this late? I sometimes feel like I am chasing a dream in the dark...is this realistic?

I am aware that I will need to go through Boot Camp, then A school. I have arranged it all with my employer and most importantly, my family is on board. I am looking at a total of about 22 weeks of "away" time but more than likely will be reduced since I can take an assessment test for IT (14 years of experience). I am in good physical condition and have even joined a gym to make sure I am in top shape. I hold a BS degree in IS (3.73 GPA) plus have A+ Net+ certs and currently work as a manager (these items combined qualify me for E5/E6).

The truth is, I've always wanted to join and never pulled the trigger. I come from a military family and simply love the lifestyle and have the utmost respect for all members.

Any comments welcome :)

Thanks for reading.