• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DoubleStar M4 for $545?

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Appreciate the advice very much. Google is great but it doesn't give you links from "like-minded" individuals.

Judging from a quick google, this price seems very fair.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I ran across their stuff a few months ago when I was looking at an evil upper (14.5" step cut). What are you using it for? I wouldn't trust my life with it, but for plinking at the range, why not? The price seems right.

Although, for about $40 more, you could get something more reputable like a DPMS.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
What are you using it for? I wouldn't trust my life with it, but for plinking at the range, why not? The price seems right.

Although, for about $40 more, you could get something more reputable like a DPMS.
Plinking and the occassional squirrel. I'll check out the DPMS.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Also putting one together yourself will save $$ and give you a better "appreciation" for your weapon.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
My apologies, I didn't realize that the DS comes with a lower parts kit and a collapsible stock. Good deal for a plinker. A DPMS with those parts would be around $100 more.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Also putting one together yourself will save $$ and give you a better "appreciation" for your weapon.

+ 1

In addition AR lowers are like flat screen TV's. Only a few people make em and then everyone puts their name on them

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=50947

If you are OK with a Bushmaster lower you should be OK with a Double Star lower. As long as it doesn't have a damn deer on it I'm ok. (Stag Arms)

A better question is who is putting these weapons together. Double Star probably isn't. An even better question is what other components are being used. Good barrels, bolt carriers, FC parts and proper assembly etc is much more important than who's name is on the lower (as long as the lower is in spec etc)

Just for fun check out Spikes. They do some interesting things with their lowers. You want an EGA or maybe INFIDEL etched on it? Can do. (plus lots of other cool things)

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=57

MasterBates

My DoubleStar kit is assembled on a Spike's "Infidel" lower.

FBMG out of Draper, Utah also does custom lowers, they did a batch for me, Zippy and Scoober.

www.fbmginc.com
Yes, it's really called Fuzzy Bunny Movie Guns. That happens when you let your daughter name your company.

They should still have the NA wings in stock to get a custom NA lower. I got mine with wings and my callsign.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Dooublestar Is Solid Gear - Go For It!

Doublestar (Winchester, KY) is a top notch manufacturer of AR's and AR kits. The parts side is called J&T Distributing, while Doublestar, Inc sells the fully assembled rifles.

They use the same OEM as Bushmaster for upper and lower receivers, Wilson manufactures their barrels. It's a family owned and operated operation with excellent credibility. Hit up anyone on AR15.com and you will here nothing but good things.

They use 5.56 chambers exclusively - none of this .223 nonsense

I have a 20" HBAR from them. It's a tack driver.

We've covered this before on other threads but assembling a lower is a pretty straight forward exercise. AR15.com has an excellent pictorial guide on how to make the various pins and springs go in the right holes.

Total thumbs up re: Doublestar. The price is in line.

BTW their stock system was a custom design and is a solid iprovement over the Colt OEM design. It has been written up in a number of gun rags.

Get Pat Sweeney's books on the AR (Vol 1 and Vol 2).

Chuck