• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DOR POLICY FOR USMC OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

peanut3479

pilot
Whether or not you could actually apply again, I don't know. Finding an OSO who would put in an application package for someone who previously DOR'd would be a challenge, not to mention the selection board looking at someone who "quit the last time." I'm not claiming to know your situation, but one of the last things my OSO said to me before I left for OCS was, "If you DOR, don't EVER call me again..."

rare21

pilot
Contributor
just remember if you got to go to OCS, thats your chance....if you decide to quit..dont expect to be given another chance. I am almost 100% certain that they will not accept you again...if you couldnt hack it once..why would you hack it a second time.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
This isn't just for the Marines either. We were told within the first few days of Navy OCS that if we DOR'd, it'd would certainly hurt our chances for any branch in the future.

KBayDog

Anything is possible, and you can always find "that guy" who was accepted back to OCS after a DOR.

However, your best (and probably most accurate) assumption is that once you DOR, you are done forever.

At OCS, if you do not want to be there, they do not want you. Remember, there are thousands of hard-charging young men and women that want to lead Marines - the Corps will not waste its time with you if you are on the fence.

And, as thisguy pointed out, failure to complete entry-level training could hurt your chances at accession into any other service. (Again, you can always find "that guy" who DOR'd from OCS and made it into another service.)

usmcecho4

pilot
I second the "Don't ever call us again" line. DORing is about the dumbest thing you can do shy of going UA. Maybe it's less of a bad idea for OCCers but if you DOR from PLC something is seriously wrong. But as we all know there are waivers for everything. Good luck.

S/F
usmcecho4

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
a little off topic but along the lines of DORing during flight training... i've known guys who DOR'ed because they didn't enjoy flight training. i.e. the instructor was mean or they didn't like the work. i think that's got to be the most absurd reason for quitting a multi-million dollar training program. you won't be stuck with an instructor forever and the studying gets more routine as you move along in the program and you become a more skilled aviator. what i don't understand is how these same people who DOR from flight school made it through their ascension source... which are probably more stressful physically and mentally. the big difference i would say is that flight training involves more one-on-one training so you can't hide amongst the crowd or just go with the flow. more opportunities to doubt yourself.

NavyOCS

Do alot of guys DOR flight training? I know it must be difficult but with enough study you must be able to perform. Hey Virtu, do you live on the island? Im from C.C.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
i think the official figures on attrition are 8-25%. with that said, out of my OCS class of 10 NFO's, 4 were attrited (2 DOR, 1 NPQ, 1 wash out). and out of 10 pilots, 1 was attrited (washed out from API). Just statistics from my class... could be the other way in other classes. I have a buddy who got NPQ'd for airsickness (very rare) whose roommate DOR'd, and has a friend who washed out. the Trifecta I call them. But hey, if you remove DOR from the equation I think that lifts your chance of surviving flight school 90%.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
If you DOR do you pick a ground side MOS with your TBS class or with the class that is currently going through? (Or am I way off the mark?)

Clux4

Banned
HueyCobra8151 said:
If you DOR do you pick a ground side MOS with your TBS class or with the class that is currently going through? (Or am I way off the mark?)

You cannot pick a ground MOS with your TBS class when everyone is already expected to at MOS school or done. There is information about DOR and all that on this forum.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
HueyCobra8151 said:

Well, by DOR they mean dropping while you are already at flight school. If you just drop your flight contract at TBS you will be thrown into the ground slot group in your TBS company and go through regular MOS selection. If you DOR while at flight school it's a combination of needs of the Marine Corps and your desires, and isn't related to any TBS class.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
My mistake, I thought I read something awhile ago that said if you DOR from flight training your subsequent MOS is determined by the TBS openings, or something to that effect.

Guess I need to adjust my BZO!

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
A buddy of mine who is classing up with Alpha Co. is at TBS right now with Mike Co. He said he dropped his flight contract and as a result is going ground, however he cannot compete for a Ground MOS. He said he can, however, submit a preference list to his SPC and if the SPC agrees with it, he might be good to go. But I think the basic theme is that if you drop your Air Contract, it's going to be needs of the Corps and you likely won't get the pick of the litter.

As for DOR at OCS, I wouldn't recommend it. First of all, you have to deal with the further antagonization from the staff, not to mention the fact that they won't send you home just like that. In all likelihood, they'll take their time out-processing you through Admin. I would think that the only way you would have any chance of getting reaccepted into OCS after you DOR is if you DORed due to emergency reasons, i.e. a death in your immediate family or someone in your immediate family becoming very sick. At least, that would make the most sense to me.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
Im sure it has to do with the situation as well. If you drop because you change your mind or a similar reason, your chances of getting accepted again are probably pretty low (who wants a Marine who will go AWOL and leave his troops with no leader; then comes back and says "Hey what did I miss, lets kick some ass!"). However, if you have a parent on thier death bed and there is no chance you will ever see them alive again if you stay, Im sure they would be sympathetic. Basiclly, if you have any doubts, don't go.

Status
Not open for further replies.