• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DOR and Medical Drop Consequences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FozzieBear

Does anyone know current policy on DOR and/or Medical Drop during

a) OCS?
-Discharge from Navy? Return to civilian life with no consequence?

b) Failing the aviation physical prior to flight training?
-Discharge?
-Will I be forced into another Navy position for X amount of years?

c) During API/Primary/Intermediate/Advanced?
-Discharge?
-Forced into another Navy field for X amount of years?

Thanks for any information.

tarheel

Fozziebear...the latest I've heard, if you want to go home...you will be sent home. If you want to stay in, you can put a package in, but not many people have been picked up. It may have changed, but that is the last I heard.

snizo

Supply Officer
In general, a medical drop will result in being 'released' with no consequences as long as it wasn't something you knew about and tried to hide.

FozzieBear

Okay, so it sounds like any medical drop will cause a discharge from the Navy with no consequence at any time (during OCS/flight training).

What about if you just want to quit?
Sounds like if you attend OCS, after 4-weeks you can quit (DOR) with no consequence... What if you accept a commission? Can you quit during flight training? What are the consequences for that? Must you serve for X amount of years in a different Naval field (like surface warfare)?

I'm just curious, what happens to those who do try to hide a medical problem? Do they get hit with the UCMJ? Do they force them into other communities?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
FozzieBear said:
What about if you just want to quit?
Sounds like if you attend OCS, after 4-weeks you can quit (DOR) with no consequence... What if you accept a commission? Can you quit during flight training? What are the consequences for that? Must you serve for X amount of years in a different Naval field (like surface warfare)?

If you get to flight school and decide it's not for you, they're processing people out. They used to send you to GEN AV, which designator 1305 and basically create a job for you while you put together a lat transfer package. However, since they're overmanned, the navy figured out that it's not a good idea to pay guys ENS/JG pay just to get some use out of them. For instance, there's a guy who's basically the CAG's secretary, who's a LTJG. They could get along fine without him, but they created a job for him. The Navy has decided to cut it's losses and just send you packing.

snizo

Supply Officer
veg,

Not sure of the exact punishment -- I'm sure it depends on how far along you are in whatever pipeline. You can be assured, though, that if it is something you know would be DQ'd for and hid anyway, you are in some deep ... -- especially if the Navy has put some money in to your training.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Don't worry, if you're going to be NPQ'd, it'll be at the NOMI visit on the 2nd day of OCS, so you can't really "hide" anything for later down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.