• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Don't know where to start, NROTC Colle...

niner61

AimingHigh
First off, I would like to say that I'm really happy that this forum exists and would like to thank all the contributors.

About myself- 19 years old, born in Pakistan(moved here at the age of 9, I am a legal citizen), have been a Cadet with my local police department since APR of 09. Grad HS in May 2009. I am currently attending a Community College in Northern California. I will be graduating with 2 Associate degree(1 in Math/Science, the other is general) this spring. I got accepted to California Maritime Academy in Vallejo, they have a Corps of Cadets and the NROTC program is run with Berkeley and Stanford. I will hopefully be graduating with a BS in Mechanical Engineering, preferably 2014, maybe 2015. I know I would have to give up my Pakistani citizenship to become an Officer, which I am okay with. I plan on doing Aviation.

I have emailed the NROTC office at Berkeley and I got a response that had attached an application for the College Program, and a physical form "to be completed by at a military facility or through DoDMERB health services.". Does this mean I have to go to MEPS? I haven't had the chance to call the NROTC office.

I also wear contacts, got em about a week ago. My visions is 20/40 and -1.50. So I know that shouldn't be a problem. I have minor Scoliosis, about 5 degrees, also no problem. But I do have Nasal Septum Deviation(I was a dumb kid, always got hurt.). I haven't been able to find anything on that, I looked at the NAMI waiver guide but couldn't find anything. I am able to exercise/run/workout normally, but my right nostril sometimes gets plugged, no problem though. When it does get plugged, it makes a whistling sound.

Sorry for the long story, wanted to get everything.
In shorter terms.
1-How do I begin the physical process for the College Program?
2-Will those medical "problems" be an NPQ?

Thanks to everyone.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you renounced your Pakistani citizenship?

He said he knew he would have to and was OK with that!!

Most NROTC applicants take the physical through DODMERB. DODMERB contracts with civilian docs in your area. The NROTC program will give you info on how to schedule with DODMERB after you start the application process. I am guessing a deviated septum won't be a problem since I had a buddy that had one and he was a NFO. When you take the physical be honest about all those issues, but make sure you tell the whole story. Don't let them assume anything. If your nasal problem does not affect your performance due to restricted breathing then don't even mention the whistling noise unless asked details. The navy should not care if you can occasionally detect a noise in your nostrils when breathing hard. Just make sure they know that it doesn't affect your physical activity. Good luck.

niner61

AimingHigh
Thank you for the clarification about the citizenship.

I gave a call to the unit today and asked about the physical and he told me that that was not something that they would handle. He also said that this is something that is up to me to complete. I really don't know what this means.

I also went to this website https://www.dodmets.com/ which was no help at all.

Thank you.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you started the NROTC application? Once you start the application you should get a letter telling you how to schedule. The login info for that web site you linked to comes from the letter you receive after you start the application and become a candidate for the scholarship. The guy you talked to was right. The unit does not get involved in the physical. It is a multi track process and NROTC units, and ROTC recruiters do not have any part in medical.