• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Done with USAA...and advice...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
So, as many of you know our house was burglarized over the Fourth of July holiday. We had USAA renter's insurance and subsequently filed a claim...here comes the sticky part.

When I purchased the policy over the phone, I asked explicity about several collections (namely my firearms) I had and requiring additional coverages. She said, "We offer additional valuable personal property insurance for items such as this...blah blah blah in 10000 dollar increments..." I responded that it sounded good. She then went on to quote me a price and I purchased the policy. I never recieved a large policy declaration packet but payments as discussed came out and renewal declarations seemed right.

Several days after I reported the claim, USAA's adjuster calls me and gives me a total for the claim which was about 12k lower than what I reported. When I asked, he responded that "Most of your claim value is firearms, which are not covered beyond 2k." I replied that I had purchased a VPP policy and he said that no such policy was ever written. I explained the above and he said that he and his supervisor would review the initial purchase and see if there was a "lack of service".

Today, I find out that despite the adjusters finding that there was a lack of service, the underwriters concluded that they will not honor the loss of my firearms collection and that, in short, I am out 11000$.

I feel like we're being robbed twice. I want to pursue this farther. Any sage advice besides get a lawyer.

Lastly, if you have insurance with USAA, I strongly reccomend going elsewhere with your business. For all their talk about trying to help servicemembers etc...they don't back it up when the music stops. They will be losing all of my business.

helo_wifey

I don't have any advice, but keep us posted on how it turns out. I'm interested to hear how it progresses.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
No intention of letting this go...whether or not it becomes a Don Quixote effort....

More clearly, my question is lawyer now or later?:D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
See if you can't go higher up than that guy....you can't let it go That is a lot of money
I agree ... write to "Bob" ... I'm not kidding.

Everyone answers to someone "higher" ... I had to do that -- go "higher" -- not "answer" -- 5-6 years ago in a dispute with their adjuster over a flood claim. The higher up the food chain I went, the better the results were ... and it's too damn bad, as USAA used to be bullet proof -- I've been a member since 1965 -- and then, sometime in the 80's or so -- they opened the membership to "everyone & anyone" and it's never been the same, service-oriented company that "took care of it's own" ...

"Bob" wants to be there for you ... believe him. :)

usaabobdg9.jpg

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
So, having just gotten off the phone arranging homeowner's, VPP and flood insurance, would you recommend I run now while I still can? Or should I just cover my ass by checking up on USAA and ensuring that they write what they said they were going to?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
So, having just gotten off the phone arranging homeowner's, VPP and flood insurance, would you recommend I run now while I still can? Or should I just cover my ass by checking up on USAA and ensuring that they write what they said they were going to?
Option #2.

If you take nothing else away from this discussion at least take this: If you want something done right -- do it yourself.

And while we're "iff'ing" ... If only I had a nickel for every time I've said that .... :sleep_125

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
If you don't have your rider in writing, then there isn't much reason to have any confidence in it. For the OP, I would be wary of sinking money into a lawyer if I had nothing in writing to support my claim.

phrogpilot73

If you don't have your rider in writing, then there isn't much reason to have any confidence in it. For the OP, I would be wary of sinking money into a lawyer if I had nothing in writing to support my claim.
That's were base legal comes in...

Skippy

Now with 27% less bullshit.
Option #2.

If you take nothing else away from this discussion at least take this: If you want something done right -- do it yourself.

Yeah, next time, steal your own firearms. That way, you won't have to file a claim at all!

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
That's were base legal comes in...

Good point, and I don't mean to discourage you from going higher up the USAA chain - that can't hurt.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Dang... this is the first time that I have ever heard of USAA not holding their own! I'm sorry man, I'm going to be taking a strong look at how my guns are insured.

BTW... I suspect that you are a member of the NRA? I think they automatically give you 1k of gun insurance. It's not much... but every penny helps, right?

Cordespc

None
Contributor
An online complaint to the Better Business got Cox Communications to bury the coaxial cable they had strung across my lawn the day after the complaint. This is after 4 months of phone calls, half of which were at the managerial level.

Your situation is on a far grander scale, but the BBB definitely gets results. I have never had faster service, or my ass kissed so much in my life. The district manager seemed very interested in following up, and making sure we were pleased with the service, asking if there was anything else the could help us with, and oh by the way, could we please update the complaint to indicate that Cox had corrected the deficiency. :D Definitely a start.....g'luck

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I've gotta say I've been pleased with USAA. For example, I had a $3500 triathlon bike destroyed after it fell off of a car, got the check for full value a week later.

That said, just like everyone else, keep pushing it. USAA usually stores all of your documents (savings, checking, etc) under the documents tab. See if you can find when you upped your policy and the corresponding document on it.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

I concur with this. If you don't have proof there was supposed to be a firearms/collections rider on your renter's policy, then I think you are going to be up the proverbial creek without a paddle. Usually when you're asking for something to be specifically insured (say your guns in this instance) the insurer (USAA) will request that a certified appraisal be sent in so the policy can be correctly underwritten. Did that transpire in your case? If so, then you might have more ground. Does your declarations page of your renters policy list an endorsement for firearms? If it doesn't, then you don't have the coverage.

Also, sometimes USAA, or other insurers will record the transaction at the time of policy purchase via phone. Did that happen? Again, if there is such a recording, then you might have a better stance to pursue a claim. The burden of proof will be yours to prove as a claim against USAA will be a civil/contractual matter.

Perhaps Brett1 can chime in here with some of his legal expertise.

FWIW, I worked for an insurance co in multi-line claims for 4 years prior to this career. I will attest that USAA is one of the finest outfits out there. There are plenty of shit-bird operations out there with more restrictive policies and company practices.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good point, and I don't mean to discourage you from going higher up the USAA chain - that can't hurt.

Would base legal really get involved in somethign like this? I'm not trying to be difficult here, but I've only seen them do wills, basic paperwork, and the like.